LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snubbed by Professionals...  (Read 2886 times)

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.gospelchops.com

Re: Snubbed by Professionals...
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »
I find that 99% of the players who call and ask for a deal have little-to-no interest in supporting my company, they just want a deal.  Any deal.  If they were interested in the product, they would purchase it. 

TRUTH...

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 08:24:54 AM »
Something not yet mentioned...It's not what you know, it's who you know.
I have been blessed with a free high quality  bass because I hang out with a high profile bass player who is an endorsee of a particular company.
Also being in the right place at the right time.
I have built relationships with various luthiers and bass companies just by talking with them and /or being there when they had a need that I was able to fulfill.
And then sometimes things have been done for me or given to me for no reason that I could figure out.
Maybe I am reading something that is not in your post but it sounds to me like you feel entitled to free or discounted gear. The world don't owe you nothin.  But if you live right and stay in tune with the Spirit, God will provide for all of your needs.
I have been playing off and on for over 35 years, but I make no claims to being all that. I am a functional bass player and that is all. Blues was my genre and I have played with some relatively famous people but so what. I have now dedicated my playing to Gospel only. And I am trying to learn to be functional here.
 Hang in there , good things will come to you.
it aint even who you know.... It's who know's you

Offline mcrracer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »
Word!   8)

Offline yogooch

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Prayze Connection

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 09:53:20 AM »
The bottom line is, We'd ALL like to have one of those high end basses! While I disagree with Mr. Callowhill statement about everyone being in the same category, I do agree that there are a million cats out there trying to get something for nothing! Almost ALL of the companies are small with 1 or 2 people working there. Their costs are very high and their profit margin very low, so they cannot afford to give away gear (Basses, Amps, whatever). As to Mr. Callowhill's statement, There are some players who can actually boost manufacturers sales, those are the guys that they give stuff to. BUT, relationships & loyalty are equally important in in these instances! I personally know some well known guys that skip around from company to company trying to get as much free stuff as they can, thats why a lot of companies are not quick to do it. I personally have been playing Mike Tobias' basses since 1987. The 1st bass I got from him, I paid 2000.00 for, IN 1987! (Thats like a 5000.00 bass now), But I recognized the quality, and the sound was like nothing I'd EVER heard! I didn't ask him to give it to me, I scraped up the money and just bought it. I still have that bass today! We live in a microwave society today, everybody wants things NOW, but listen my brothers,(and Sisters), there is a process to everything in life. We gotta pay some dues, work towards our goals, and go through some things, so that when we do achieve and acquire some things in our lives, We'll have a greater appreciation for them.
I've been playing bass since 1974, but it wasn't until 2000 (26 years),that I got an endorsement for ANYTHING, I used to boil my strings just like everybody else! If you are TRUELY playing to he glory of God, just keep playing, and stay faithful, He'll reward for your faithfulness, and He'll bless you in the face of your enemies, Believe me if you stay faithful, you will have enemies, Trust me, I know!

Peace & Blessings
SPEAK LYFE

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 10:51:04 AM »
I've been playing bass since 1974, but it wasn't until 2000 (26 years),that I got an endorsement for ANYTHING, I used to boil my strings just like everybody else!

Way to make me feel "wet behind the ears" Yogooch.   :-[  LOL!  In '74 my mama and daddy may have been thinking about me, but I wasn't here yet.  LOL!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
Way to make me feel "wet behind the ears" Yogooch.   :-[  LOL!  In '74 my mama and daddy may have been thinking about me, but I wasn't here yet.  LOL!

w3rd!!!
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »
To add to what was already said: 

It works both ways.  Instead of looking for a bass company to give you free/discounted gear, find a luthier who is just starting out and trying to get his name/product out there.  You become a part of his R&D.  Buy one of his basses and help him develop his product.  Remember all of these guys (Tobias, Ken Smith, Roscoe, Pavel....etc) started with their first bass and developed from there. 

I've seen/heard some beautiful basses that were made by independent luthiers trying to get their names out there. So, while we're asking "why are we getting snubbed by Professionals", there are some struggling luthiers asking "why are we getting snubbed by bass players".

Offline chrismc101

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 02:04:24 PM »
To all, I have not taken any of these non-responses as personal. I was just telling you want lack of responses and how it seems that if your name isn't out there; then they don't give us a single thought.

But Uriah: Epifani, Eden, Minnieweather Basses, etc, etc,  I would hope that these names are professional, lol... But I digress. Again, I haven't taken any of this personal. If you read my posting closely, I closed stating that this gift I have was given by GOD unto whom I give ALL the praise. In my do season will I be blessed more abundantly with more of his gifts...
CeeMc
"bassN4eva"

Offline chrismc101

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 02:07:25 PM »
I don't know where you all are reading into things, but NOWHERE in my posting do any of you read that I was asking for FREE stuff.

Maybe it wasnt the best anolagy, but yall know what I meant. They aint givin away nothin free unless you are always in the limelight
CeeMc
"bassN4eva"

Offline basedigrace

• LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/eriksancho

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »
on the real though. most companies can care less on your skills or talent. Like someone said, its all about who your playing with and how much exposure you can give the company that will help them move product. Ask them for yourself like I did and they'll most likely tell you the truth. The only reason i was able to get an endorsement was because i was in a house band for a TV show. They could care less who I was because the exposure was huge, fortunately i didn't have to jump through the hoops most folk do to get an endorsement. I also took a slightly different approach in getting it as i understood the value of the exposure the company could get. I didn't get free stuff but the discounts were nice. Most companies won't give away free gear like someone else posted.

Offline Bass_CrAzY

• LGM Member
  • Me Playing The Bass (Fender Jazz)

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 08:40:04 PM »
They sponsore famous bass players because they are seen my alot of people and hopefully someone will recognize it.
Give The Bass some!!!=>
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up