LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Why I can live without a MTD  (Read 11001 times)

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Why I can live without a MTD
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »
So I won't take the other MTD thread of course I'll make my statements here.

First.  MTDs are great basses and awesome build and well wroth the praise.

Now with that being said for "MY PERSONAL TONE/SOUND" the mtd just doesn't fit the bill.

They sound a bit to Hi-Fi to me. I don't think that's a eq thing, I think that's just the MTD sound, because everyone I know or have seen play one has that kind of nasally sound

I like a tone that has a PHAT DEEP bottom and crystal clear Highs (here's the catch) all at the same time (which is why I'm a huge CallowHill Fanatic).
I don't like mids and usually cut them or leave them flat.  Maybe low mids in the 250Hz range, but nothing higher.

The MTDs cut through the mix like a butter knife through melted butter (ROFL), but the tone that you get just doesn't do anything for me.  Call be crazy, but I want you to FEEL me play, not just hear me. 

So with that being said MTDs just don't have what it takes to reproduce the tone that I like for my personal sound (it might be the barts...i dunno), but then again I've never heard of a MTD with a pickup swap.

now what might be interesting is if you through in a sadowsky preamp and some nordy pickups in a mtd. I think then that tone that I love will come through, but with that bart system it just doesn't cut it for me.

You can now proceed to beat me with the flame bat...lol
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: Why I can live without a MTD
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:43:44 AM »

Now with that being said for "MY PERSONAL TONE/SOUND" the mtd just doesn't fit the bill.

They sound a bit to Hi-Fi to me. I don't think that's a eq thing, I think that's just the MTD sound, because everyone I know or have seen play one has that kind of nasally sound

I like a tone that has a PHAT DEEP bottom and crystal clear Highs (here's the catch) all at the same time (which is why I'm a huge CallowHill Fanatic).
I don't like mids and usually cut them or leave them flat.  Maybe low mids in the 250Hz range, but nothing higher.

The MTDs cut through the mix like a butter knife through melted butter (ROFL), but the tone that you get just doesn't do anything for me.  Call be crazy, but I want you to FEEL me play, not just hear me. 

So with that being said MTDs just don't have what it takes to reproduce the tone that I like for my personal sound (it might be the barts...i dunno), but then again I've never heard of a MTD with a pickup swap.

now what might be interesting is if you through in a sadowsky preamp and some nordy pickups in a mtd. I think then that tone that I love will come through, but with that bart system it just doesn't cut it for me.

I understand where you are coming from. I'm very partial to Eden amps and cabs. That's the sound that I like. As you know, I always advocate for them. As far as basses, I haven't quite nailed it down to a particular luthier. I like the MTD sound, but I also like the Fender Jazz sound, Ken Smith sound and others.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »
Thanks for the analysis Jeremyr.

Here is a recent inteview, I did with Tim, from Callowhill... interesting read.
http://www.gospelbasslines.com/interviews/?interview=4

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 11:58:14 AM »
yeah Tims a great guy.

It just amazes me how his basses sound. 

I think that the J(unk) 5 is capable of producing the dreaded "BROWN NOTE"..HAHAHAHHAA

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »
yeah Tims a great guy.

It just amazes me how his basses sound. 

I think that the J(unk) 5 is capable of producing the dreaded "BROWN NOTE"..HAHAHAHHAA

Yesir.... TIM is cooler than a fan... (okay maybe a fan in texas), Your from Chi-town... You know Cold... lol.

Anyhow... that J(unk) 5 is a beauty... I would love to hear what one sounds like..

Offline splitleft

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Jesus is coming soon, does he know you?

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:32:09 PM »
hUm is it possible the strings causes that soud? I have a Scheter elite 5, and I was looking to change the strings thinking that would give me that Deep low sound. Some times I feel i'm not getting the sound i'm looking for. now on the other hand the sound I get from my Lakland 52-02 and my Marcus Miller 4 the sound it sweet. So does the strings have a impact on the sound? 

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »
Strings can effect the sound...

I have also heard that EMG pickups that come on the schecters are just bright sounding.

Offline splitleft

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »
Yeah I heard that as well. I am new to bass playing any suggestion you can make that would allow me to get a deeper sound?
Thanks

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 01:11:16 PM »

I have also heard that EMG pickups that come on the schecters are just bright sounding.

strings definately affect the sound, but The 2 biggest things are #1 electronics and #2 woods

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 01:12:42 PM »

i wouldn't necesarily say that they're bright (at least not on the one that I had), but I'd say that the're more geard towards a crowd that will use heavy effects (mainly rock settings).

They are VERY nice basses though ,but after tasting 19mm bridge spacing I'm afraid i'll NEVER go bak to 16 or 17mm

Offline splitleft

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 01:27:29 PM »
knot sure I understand are you referring to the Gage on the strings 19MM?

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 01:49:50 PM »
knot sure I understand are you referring to the Gage on the strings 19MM?

how much space is inbetween the center of one string to the center of the next.

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 01:51:22 PM »

Well,  I had 2  535/635 and figured they were better pieces of furniture than basses....so I don't miss them not one iota,and btw I had Nordstrands  pups in both of them it and they  still were thin sounding,and I also guess that I really didn't ( and still don't ) care for  35 inch scale basses

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 01:54:03 PM »
Give me a USA Fender Jazz any day!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »
Well,  I had 2  535/635 and figured they were better pieces of furniture than basses....so I don't miss them not one iota,and btw I had Nordstrands  pups in both of them it and they  still were thin sounding,and I also guess that I really didn't ( and still don't ) care for  35 inch scale basses

VERY INTERESTING!

Which pre-amp did you have installed while you had the Nordy's in there?

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 02:59:06 PM »
ur funny jeremy. did think that U were gonna start the thread.
personally i could care less about an MTD, unless the new ones start coming with several months rent checks signed my Michael Tobais himself, then i may consider. I'd rather the landlord come knockin on my door because im boomin the bass too loud, rather than because i owe rent because i bought the bass thats boomin too loud. But if u got it, to each his own.

Many of us, well i'll speak for myself, wont go on tour, play in huge concerts, be a well known recording bassist, or what have you. I just play for our local church and happy doing so for the Lord, and even though i could drop cash on one, that would just be overkill for a group of people who sometimes still ask me if thats an "electric guitar or a bass". LOL. i would rather be one of those players good enough to make a $100 bass sound good, and if i could do that then why do i need to buy a $4000 one?

reminds me of a car. if i just need one to get where i need to go and back, why should i buy a mercedes for all the features they hype in the commercials, when all i need is a cool and stylish honda or toyota?

just like that last MTD vs Smith forum topic, it went on for what seemed like forever. i was like, it aint that serious. especially if most of the people goin the hardest about it dont even have one. once again i could care less. just ranting here. not denying the craftsmanship and quality, but its just not my cup of tea. and all of them dont even look all that hot anyway. to me some of them look like an eyesore, so u just playin it for the name. (maybe i should get one of them then. i'll hate lookin at it so much, i'll learn to play without lookin at my hands. LOL)
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 04:31:19 PM »
ur funny jeremy. did think that U were gonna start the thread.
personally i could care less about an MTD, unless the new ones start coming with several months rent checks signed my Michael Tobais himself, then i may consider. I'd rather the landlord come knockin on my door because im boomin the bass too loud, rather than because i owe rent because i bought the bass thats boomin too loud. But if u got it, to each his own.

Many of us, well i'll speak for myself, wont go on tour, play in huge concerts, be a well known recording bassist, or what have you. I just play for our local church and happy doing so for the Lord, and even though i could drop cash on one, that would just be overkill for a group of people who sometimes still ask me if thats an "electric guitar or a bass". LOL. i would rather be one of those players good enough to make a $100 bass sound good, and if i could do that then why do i need to buy a $4000 one?

reminds me of a car. if i just need one to get where i need to go and back, why should i buy a mercedes for all the features they hype in the commercials, when all i need is a cool and stylish honda or toyota?

just like that last MTD vs Smith forum topic, it went on for what seemed like forever. i was like, it aint that serious. especially if most of the people goin the hardest about it dont even have one. once again i could care less. just ranting here. not denying the craftsmanship and quality, but its just not my cup of tea. and all of them dont even look all that hot anyway. to me some of them look like an eyesore, so u just playin it for the name. (maybe i should get one of them then. i'll hate lookin at it so much, i'll learn to play without lookin at my hands. LOL)

I don't think I can agree with you on everything.

Mainly because cheap poor quality electronics found a a $100 bass will NEVER sound like quality electronics...Even if the same awesome bass players plays both of them on after the other.

It's all about if you're comfortable with the instrument that YOU ARE playing (not anyone else) and i've never been able to find a $100 bass that  feels right TO ME (and i'm cheap and like to not spend more money then I need to) with the exception of ONE fender squire jazz I played that was amazing to the touch.

None of the other fender squires have ever felt as good as that one.

But hey, if you can get the sound and feel from a $100 bass that fits you then I guess you hit the jackpot...ROFL

What I've found with higher end instruments is that you get a better build, it's built to your specs, and you get quailty materials that won't dent if the bass is dropped 2" from the floor.

There definitely is a difference and one that I feel the extra money easily justify.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »

What are you playing now, Hands5?

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 04:48:42 PM »
i was kinda exaggerating with the $100 dollar price tag. for me i love my schecter. i like the small string spacing. it feels so comfortable to me. some of the higher end basses tend to have those wider neck and it feels sooo uncomfortable. i hated fenders for a bit because the necks felt huge, but i got used to it once i bought one from my cousin as a backup, but the difference is night and day. its really all about the feel anyway, because what good is a souped up bass with the name, high quality electronics, and killer sound, but it feels so uncomfortable to play.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 05:11:33 PM »
For me, MTD, Roscoe etc. all are great sounding basses, but they all have one thing in common, Bart PUPS.  This tells me that even though they have exotic woods, this sound is created mainly by the BARTS. Which to me are some of the best PUPS. SO therefore, really all you need is those same PUPS on any midrange bass with decent wood. This would be a bass in the price range of 800 to 1300 dollars.  MTDS 4000. Rediculous. Now the Smith, can't be imitated. It has a unique sound. That sound is HOT.
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up