LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ??? On Talk Music  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Mrandrew

• LGM Member

??? On Talk Music
« on: February 02, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »
I've only been practicing gospel music for six month now and can play the songs I learnt from chords posted. However, when it comes to playing talk music I have a bit of a problem. I've listened to you guys/ladies play and am truly amazed with your talent.

So my question is when playing talk music is there any specific timing or is it just flowing with the spirit? Would it be the same as if I was just playing a jazz interlude or are they both different?

I hope I asked this question correctly. Any help to understand would be appreciated.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

Re: ??? On Talk Music
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:55:33 PM »
I believe that talk music should flow. As far as the timing it all depends on the chords that you're playing and the tempo. But personally I think that talk music should flow......it should be played softly to compliment the speaker or what have you. This is just my two cents but I'm sure that someone else can break it down better for ya. Hopefully this will atleast give you a starting point. God bless!!
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline Mrandrew

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 04:56:50 AM »
Thanks Chevonee for your help. Wierd thing is I'm used to doing real soft jazz music and just flowing, but with talk music I think I push to hard. Part of my problem is that I'm thinking in terms of gospel instead of just playing as I normally do.

I hope i said that correct.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 07:08:48 AM »
The thing about talk music is you don't actually have to have a tempo.  You can play your chords like you would play behind a soloist.  If you want to add a beat to it, that is totally up to you.  Talk music can be chords from any genre, just make sure it's nice and pretty sounding.  Heck, u don't even gotta pick a song, just play whatever u feel.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 11:23:55 AM »
T-Block & Chevonee are right--that's talk music for you.

Our players were playing some rather different talk music today:
--real jazz stuff (soft though & not distracting)...with beautiful, yet very simple descending scale runs ;)

--I had the opportunity to go near the players & saw that they were just playing 2 or 3 basic chords in the key of F & then running the scale down twice or thrice & then play chords in Bb & repeat the pattern...it sounded jazzy to me, but qualified as talk music because it made everything flow while speakers were talking.

So, MrAndrew, If your jazz is nice background music/ is able to accompany the speaker, by all means play it--it will sound very cool to the congregation I'm sure...after all, you would have been playing the songs in a non-jazzy style..variety is very powerful. ;) :) ;)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline Mrandrew

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
Thanks that what I love about this site. Feedback. All suggestions are deeply appreciated.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 11:42:26 AM »
Thanks that what I love about this site. Feedback. All suggestions are deeply appreciated.

Indeed! Indeed! MrAndrew :)

Also, good questions are the reason technology has evolved so well into this advanced level we see it today..
It is such good questions like the ones you ask that help us develop our music & play with understanding because all pioneers ask questions before coming with a solution :)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up