LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Relative and Harmonic minor scales  (Read 753 times)

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Relative and Harmonic minor scales
« on: February 03, 2008, 07:25:21 PM »
I have learnt the C, F, and G keys and their primary chords.  Now I am studying the relative and harmonic scales of these three keys.  However, I have a question.  Why does the minor scale begin on the 6th tone of the major scale?  In addition, why is the 7th tone raised and called an accidental? 

Thank you for your help in advance.
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Relative and Harmonic minor scales
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 07:48:51 PM »
I have learnt the C, F, and G keys and their primary chords.  Now I am studying the relative and harmonic scales of these three keys.  However, I have a question.  Why does the minor scale begin on the 6th tone of the major scale?  In addition, why is the 7th tone raised and called an accidental? 

Thank you for your help in advance.

To answer the first question:  Why does the minor scale begin on the 6th tone of the major scale?  It just does, that's what the earlier music theory people called it.

To answer the second question:  Why is the 7th tone raised and called an accidental?  The 7th degree of the harmonic minor scale is raised 1/2 step from the natural minor scale.  Anytime u change something in a scale, that note becomes an accidental because it no longer lies in the first scale.  Example:

A natural minor:  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  A

A harmonic minor:  A  B  C  D  E  F  G#  A

You see how the G is natural in the first scale then sharped in the 2nd scale?  They are both minor scales, it's just the second one has a raised 7th degree.  This creates an even greater pull of the 7th to the tonic note, just like in the major scale.  So, it's sorta like playing a minor scale with a major scale intent.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »
ok, thanks again.  I am getting there.  :)
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline georgiagurl

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 09:54:15 PM »
Thank you sir, this very helpful info. Be blessed
Jesus is Lord!
Pages: [1]   Go Up