LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M TERRIFIED!!!!!!!!  (Read 2570 times)

Offline 1trae9

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I'M TERRIFIED!!!!!!!!
« on: February 18, 2008, 01:45:56 AM »
I am so lost...I have been playing for a year and a half, and my organist wants me to start bringing my bass on friday nights, but I don't know any songs "congregational songs that is"...primarily COGIC style: cant nobody do me like jesus, victory is mine, what's his name...Jesus.  I know some scales like the blues, pentatonic, major and minor, but that is all i can do, is go up and down the scale and that is not music. What i am try to say is what are some of the things you guys did when you first started to play in church...I am scared that I won't be able keep up!!!!

Any help is appreciated! THANKS

Offline musicmandan

• LGM Member

Re: I'M TERRIFIED!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:07:02 AM »
The easiest thing to do is ask your organist for the notes to the chords he plays. Thats what I do if I don't know the song! (Or I watch their left hand/foot on the pedals).With the knowledge you say you have, soon you will pick up the chord changes and how the bass line fits over them. Most of those songs you mentioned are pretty similar once you get a basic understanding of one or two of them and the theory behind them. It's normal to have the jitters when faced with something new. Hang in there, with a little work you'll get it.

Offline 1trae9

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:48:29 AM »
thanks i will do that

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:20:26 AM »
Also, your basic scale progression for most songs are 1-4-5-1, with fills in between. If you have an ear for music, I would suggest looking up songs on youtube and see if you can play with them. Don't try to do everything but catch the basics.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »
Also, make sure you learn some of these songs

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/bass/video.php
:)

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:04:06 AM »
Ditto to all the above. If you can read music I would check out your church Hymnal, and also ask your organist to give you the progression, that way if for some reason you have to play in a different key, you don't have to worry too much about the notes, you will already have the progression down. You will be fine. The Holy Spirit has a way of coming in and anointing you when you least expect it. I was there once about 8 years ago. Scared as everything and all I knew was scales, but as I began to work with the other musicians and began to learn theory and applicaiton it became easier and easier as time progressed. God takes care of His own and those who are serious about playing for HIM!

May God bless you and anoint you. Play for Him and all will be fine.
May God's Grace & Mercy smile upon you!

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:10:42 AM »
Everything they said plus this......

Bring a recorder to rehearsal or set up a separate session with the organist and have the organist play the songs that he or she wants you to learn.  If you are able to hum what you would like the bass to sound like with those recordings, you are on your way.  Just find the notes you are humming on your fingerboard and build your bassline from that.

Keep in mind what ddwilkins said about 1-4-5-1 as you do that.  You'll be amazed at how quickly it comes together for you.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline 1trae9

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:16:44 AM »
ok, i will definately do the 1-4-5-1, plus i will stay prayed up!lol

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:34:38 AM »
There's a good book "The Idiot's Guide to Music Composition" (I know you're not trying to compse right now) that has a chapter on chord progressions and how to build onto chord progressions.  Believe it or not, there are certain places that chord tones want to go.  This book helps to take some of the guesswork out of it.

Also, learn your circle of fifths/fourths.  You'll need those.  Pick up Donnie McClurkin's "Psalms, Hymns and Praise Songs" if you get a chance.  It has a good variety of the type of music that you are about to be faced with.

And, if you haven't already, do a search for "Uriah" on this board.  He has alot of helpful/informative videos.

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 11:35:59 AM »

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 12:13:54 PM »
first calm down and dont be terrified. (probably easier to say than do.LOL) find the key of the song. either u can ask the organist/keyboardist or at the end of the last verse where the song feels complete find the note that best resonates there, that would be the 1 (root or key of the song). try singing along and then hold that note and match it on the bass.

the first verse revolves around the 1 as well but if ur organist/keyboardist is busy it may be harder to find that note because of his movements.

Each part verse revolves around a particular chord. so the first "cant no body do me like jesus" would revolve around the I chord. staying with the tempo of the song u could just bounce on the root and the fifth and when it changes to the second "cant nobody do me like the lord" just chromatic walk up to the next chord root which is the IV (4).
if the song is in the key of D the first "cant nobody..." would center around a D chord so you can just alternate hitting D and A (or what i do is D,A,D,A,C,Db,D,A,D [1,5,1,5,b7,7 pattern]) then for the second "cant nobody..." the song would go to Gb so right before u get ready to play G walk up to it chromatically by playing E,F,F#,then the G. (u can add more notes or take a way depending on ur timing) then alternate between the G and D (root and fifth) on the end of the second part "do me like the lord" you can chromatically walk down to the 2 and to do a 2-5-1 (so you bounce on the with that IV chord and as soon as the say nobody walk down from the 4 (G,F#,F) then go right into the 2-5-1 (E,A,D). Then the last "cant nobody..." does the same as the first one and centers around the I, but as soon as they say "nobody" walk down from the 1 to the 6 (D,Db,C,B) and on "hes my friend" is a 3-6-2-5-1 so its (he's) F#,B (my) E,A (friend) D. then i chromatically walk up from the 3 the 5, the from the 6 to the 1 (the shout walk) and when i hit the 1 the song is ready to start over.

For the vamp on all those you can just do the basic "shout walk" and vary that.

most of those songs have a similar feel but 1 or 2 parts of the progression may be different so you gotta hear it. i understand with the hymn book thing, but if they do like at my church, because all the songs have the same beat, they may run them together as a medley going right in to the next one, and at that point lookin in the him book aint worth a hill o' beans. Especially if its a song that aint in there (all of them aint in there) and we never know ahead of time. a hint: always know the words to the songs so you know when it changes. if the song changes and you not sure what to play, turn your bass down and sing along catching the changes matchin it on ur bass, and when ur confident of the changes turn ur volume back up. thats the best way to do it because then you'll be better able to play with anybody. my organist can at most tell you what key he's playin in and thats it. Chords?!?! forget it.

the thing is its hard finding a recording of these songs to hear what a bass player is doing. i learned off of Fred Hammonds' "Somethin' 'Bout Love" album, he had 2 interlude tracks both about 30 seconds, but that helped a lot. One was "God is a Good God" and the other was "Im a soldier in the army of the lord". If you can get to listen to these you'll hear exactly what im talkin about. Even though they were both only 30-second tracks, for my playing they were priceless.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline 1trae9

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 02:17:09 AM »
ever so helpful thanks guys!!! really really....helpful :D 

Offline vgray

• LGM Member
  • always get your praise on!!!!24-7

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 02:01:24 PM »
i am praying for you its all about jesus , so , listen  read and print ,what floaded27, said he is good in theory
i want to know how you did  ;) ;)
bro gray
denver colorado
Pages: [1]   Go Up