LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: VOLUNTEER OR PAID MUSICIAN?  (Read 13733 times)

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

Re: VOLUNTEER OR PAID MUSICIAN?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »

LOL, Thats because the Pastor was reading Malachi 3:10.

I'll say it again.  That passage of scripture was making reference to the Leviticle Law.  A certain tribe that Moses led.  Everyone wasnt commanded to pay tithes.  The Storehouse was the only place that they brought tithes to.  The Storehouse was an actual place.  No where in the bible does it say the Storehouse is your local church.

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 03:53:14 PM »
Oh lawd...Back to the tithes discussion >:( >:( >:(

Anybody want popcorn :D :D :D
I'm destined for greatness!!!

E.R.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 03:55:46 PM »
Who were the 10 Commandments written for? Surely not us Gentiles, right?

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 03:59:11 PM »
Man Im just trying to shed light on yall.  Yall can do whatever yall want.  I just think its hillarious that tithing was a law for Jews and since the Leviticle Law doesnt exist anymore, Jews dont even pay tithes in this day   :D  ...but guess what we ol' American Christians do?  We take on their retired laws and customs by changing the meaning of a tithe and who it belongs to.   :D  

I guess this is how I can afford a Beech Custom, oh wait.  No.  No no no no no.  A Beech Custom is considered a blessing right?  You mean to tell me I'm still being blessed?   :D

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 04:01:46 PM »
Man Im just trying to shed light on yall.  Yall can do whatever yall want.  I just think its hillarious that tithing was a law for Jews and since the Leviticle Law doesnt exist anymore, Jews dont even pay tithes in this day   :D  ...but guess what we ol' American Christians do?  We take on their retired laws and customs by changing the meaning of a tithe and who it belongs to.   :D  

I guess this is how I can afford a Beech Custom, oh wait.  No.  No no no no no.  A Beech Custom is considered a blessing right?  You mean to tell me I'm still being blessed?   :D

I thought this was caused by going to work and making money and saving... ;D
I'm destined for greatness!!!

E.R.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »
So what do we make out of my Tithe paying Sonor Delites and Meinl Byzance Cymbals?  ;D ;D ;D

See, I didn't just read Verse 10 of Malachi chapter 3. I also read verse 8,
"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."

Will a MAN. doesn't say will a Levite. So since I read that, I decided to APPLY that to myself.

Then, I continued reading and came across verse 10. But what I like is the second part of verse 10:
"...and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

I definitely am willing to take 10% of my earnings AND give my offering so I can see that portion of scripture Manifested in my life.

Now, as you said my brother, Everyone can do what they want.  8)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 04:05:41 PM »
I'll say it again.  That passage of scripture was making reference to the Leviticle Law.  A certain tribe that Moses led.  Everyone wasnt commanded to pay tithes.  The Storehouse was the only place that they brought tithes to.  The Storehouse was an actual place.  No where in the bible does it say the Storehouse is your local church.

d-o-d, you are a piece of work man. But let me ask you this.

Why is it that because our gift happens to be in the church, that we should be doing it for free. Some people are gifted to be barbers, mechanics, comedians, FAMOUS GOSPEL SINGERS, actors, and all the above are paid well........... Now why should the musicians be left out? My barber doesn't give me free haircuts, and my mechanic doesn't fix my brakes then tell me its free. And I know Steve Harvey didn't host the BET Celebration of Gospel for free! If you could explain this to me, I would feel so much better about the whole situation.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
I thought this was caused by going to work and making money and saving... ;D

Yeah, that too.  But wait.  No no no no.  How is it that God blessed me to maintain my employment status as "employed," but yet I dont give his local pastors 10%?  ;D

d-o-d, you are a piece of work man. But let me ask you this.

Why is it that because our gift happens to be in the church, that we should be doing it for free. Some people are gifted to be barbers, mechanics, comedians, FAMOUS GOSPEL SINGERS, actors, and all the above are paid well........... Now why should the musicians be left out? My barber doesn't give me free haircuts, and my mechanic doesn't fix my brakes then tell me its free. And I know Steve Harvey didn't host the BET Celebration of Gospel for free! If you could explain this to me, I would feel so much better about the whole situation.

Ok lil homie.  If you go back and read my first post, I explained that no one owes you money for a service that you will do for free.  Simple.  You have every right to charge anyone for your services but they have just as much right to make the decision not to pay you.  You are not obligated by any God given or biblical law to play the drums in church.  You make that choice. 

So what do we make out of my Tithe paying Sonor Delites and Meinl Byzance Cymbals?  ;D ;D ;D

See, I didn't just read Verse 10 of Malachi chapter 3. I also read verse 8,
"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."

Will a MAN. doesn't say will a Levite. So since I read that, I decided to APPLY that to myself.

Then, I continued reading and came across verse 10. But what I like is the second part of verse 10:
"...and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

I definitely am willing to take 10% of my earnings AND give my offering so I can see that portion of scripture Manifested in my life.

Now, as you said my brother, Everyone can do what they want.  8)

Again, that passage of scripture was in reference to MEN under the Law of Moses.  And still, you can do whatever you want.   :)  8)

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 04:32:59 PM »
Who were the 10 Commandments written for? Surely not us Gentiles, right?

True, technically, God gave those commandments to the Children of Israel, not the Egyptians, Canaanites, or any of the other -ites.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 04:36:35 PM »
Yeah, that too.  But wait.  No no no no.  How is it that God blessed me to maintain my employment status as "employed," but yet I dont give his local pastors 10%?  ;D

lol, The members of 3-6 Mafia are employed too, and they have millions of dollars, and I doubt they even go to church, let alone give them 10% of thier millions..........................

But I see where you are coming from though. If I ever need a lawyer man I'm callin you first!

Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »
True, technically, God gave those commandments to the Children of Israel, not the Egyptians, Canaanites, or any of the other -ites.

That is entirely true.

You cant turn a National Law into a Global Law!  There were Jewish laws and there were laws that governed the rest of the Nations.  Sometimes they shared the same laws but tithing was definately not one of them.  That was strictly for the Levites.

lol, The members of 3-6 Mafia are employed too, and they have millions of dollars, and I doubt they even go to church, let alone give them 10% of thier millions..........................

But I see where you are coming from though. If I ever need a lawyer man I'm callin you first!

LOL!  Holla atcha boi!   :D

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »
I play for my church for free....why?....because it's my church and i'm there to serve.......If I get paid that's cool if I don't then that's cool too.......But it's different if I get called for a gig.....then I expect something......Like last November I was invited to play for a national convention and it was in Texas...I ain't going to pay for my flight or my room.....they had to pay that and then some extra for the time.....or even gigs around town that don't have nothing to do with my church.....I don't do secular gigs and never will so every gig I do has something to do with God.....it has worked out for me....God has blessed me to play in some places I never thought I would play in....so God's promises in my life is enough for me.......All I can do is be faithful to God and what ever God has in store for me will come to pass.....isn't that awesome?....Praise God for that....GB
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »
I play for my church for free....why?....because it's my church and i'm there to serve.......If I get paid that's cool if I don't then that's cool too.......But it's different if I get called for a gig.....then I expect something......Like last November I was invited to play for a national convention and it was in Texas...I ain't going to pay for my flight or my room.....they had to pay that and then some extra for the time.....or even gigs around town that don't have nothing to do with my church.....I don't do secular gigs and never will so every gig I do has something to do with God.....it has worked out for me....God has blessed me to play in some places I never thought I would play in....so God's promises in my life is enough for me.......All I can do is be faithful to God and what ever God has in store for me will come to pass.....isn't that awesome?....Praise God for that....GB

Thats real cool man.  I respect that.  Do what works for you.  Whats meant for you is comin...keep killin the drums homie!

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 04:54:59 PM »
Aye Kev, how do you support your church financially if not with money?

Your points on tithing is new to me so I'm having trouble understanding it.
You have definitely sparked my interest & i'm researching & trying to get up on my knowledge of tithing.

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 04:57:23 PM »
Thats real cool man.  I respect that.  Do what works for you.  Whats meant for you is comin...keep killin the drums homie!

Thanks man.......you keep inspiring.....you have def. inpired me....keep doing your thing.....GB

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 05:01:54 PM »
Aye Kev, how do you support your church financially if not with money?

Your points on tithing is new to me so I'm having trouble understanding it.
You have definitely sparked my interest & i'm researching & trying to get up on my knowledge of tithing.

I do what the bible tells me to do.  I give cheerfully from the heart and without grudge.  My giving is sometimes sporadic.  Sometimes its planned.  Sometimes its to a church.  Sometimes its to the less fortunate right on the street.  Sometimes its money.  Sometimes its in gifts.  Sometimes its in my time.  But its never in the manner of a ritual, in the same amount, in the same form, to the same place, every week.  

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »
I do what the bible tells me to do.  I give cheerfully from the heart and without grudge.  My giving is sometimes sporadic.  Sometimes its planned.  Sometimes its to a church.  Sometimes its to the less fortunate right on the street.  Sometimes its money.  Sometimes its in gifts.  Sometimes its in my time.  But its never in the manner of a ritual, in the same amount, in the same form, to the same place, every week.  

I agree....I like the way you think.....sick 8)

Offline ikickset

• LGM Member
    • myspace

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »
i guess im a bad guy cuz i do recieve a salary at the church i play at. they offered me the position and i accepted...there i go trying 2 be a professional musician. but im required 2 b there 4 rehersals everyday except monday, wendsday and saturday and i have 2 services on sunday morning.   

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 08:13:14 PM »
i guess im a bad guy cuz i do recieve a salary at the church i play at. they offered me the position and i accepted...there i go trying 2 be a professional musician. but im required 2 b there 4 rehersals everyday except monday, wendsday and saturday and i have 2 services on sunday morning.   
Praise God for that bruh! You ain't a bad guy. You're appreciated for your ministry. You're blessed to recieve a lil something.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 10:53:26 PM »
This type of discussion always sparks another question for me. Since the musicians get paid, should all the members of the praise team be paid? What about the choir? Should ushers, deacons, security, sign ministry, camera crew, sound techs be paid? Where do you draw the line? How can you pay some and not all that are offering their gifts to the church?
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up