LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with foot speed  (Read 1655 times)

Offline dedrums

• LGM Member

help with foot speed
« on: December 28, 2004, 07:28:39 AM »
what do i need to do too gain more speed with my foot. what good
techniqs that i need to practice to improve my speed on the bass drum
as well as the drum set. what rolls sound good in gospel music.
and what are some rudiments that gospel drummers use in todays music
God bless.

Offline DrummerBoyGil

• LGM Member

help with foot speed
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 01:02:23 PM »
what do i need to do too gain more speed with my foot

Put the pedal on high tension when you practice or rehearse. When you feel okay with high tension, put it back down to where you were comfortable. Thats what I did and I got MUCH faster.

what good
techniqs that i need to practice to improve my speed on the bass drum
as well as the drum set

Somebody posted it on the forums somewhere on here already, but try hittin' a pillow or something that doesn't make your sticks bounce in your free time.

what rolls sound good in gospel music.
and what are some rudiments that gospel drummers use in todays

I can't help you with the last question cause I don't pay attention to other players much (bad thing on my part), but I pretty much stick a roll anywhere. Just try not to hit your snare too much, it gets annoying. I went to a church and all their drummer did with his fills was roll on the snare. It wasn't good. But anyways, hope I helped!

Offline drummerboyy01

• LGM Member
    • http://www.drummerboyy01@.yahoo.com

help with foot speed
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 07:31:48 AM »
I wanna answer that so bad but it's hard to explain! This is aggravating!!!

Offline nybalers9

• LGM Member

Re: help with foot speed
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 07:04:53 AM »
hey god bless all. ive been playing for alittle over a year but maybe my advice can help. when i started playing my foot was slow as malasis.(spelling) but i speak to drummers when they visit and i watch alot of videos and pratice. i can do doubles but i got to work on stamina. anyway the way i learn with my foot i just start slow and then speed it up slowly then slow down. to answer the chops rudiment question, most of the drummers that i see mostly do what ERIC MOORE calls 3over2, 3 over 1.so basically sn.sn.sn.bd.hh.hh.hh.bd.bd for ex. but you can pretty much use any rudiment just substitute the licks. hope i hleped stay blessed

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 02:47:15 PM »
hey god bless all. ive been playing for alittle over a year but maybe my advice can help. when i started playing my foot was slow as malasis.(spelling) but i speak to drummers when they visit and i watch alot of videos and pratice. i can do doubles but i got to work on stamina. anyway the way i learn with my foot i just start slow and then speed it up slowly then slow down. to answer the chops rudiment question, most of the drummers that i see mostly do what ERIC MOORE calls 3over2, 3 over 1.so basically sn.sn.sn.bd.hh.hh.hh.bd.bd for ex. but you can pretty much use any rudiment just substitute the licks. hope i hleped stay blessed

Welcome to LGM nybalers9! Soak up as much learning here as you give cause you will be blessed!

P.S. I was told that the 3over2 is actually the 5 stroke roll spread over different limb variations.
P.P.S It is generally not a good look as a newbie to start answering really OLD threads. ;D

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 02:51:37 PM »
yea,... I asked this question like....3weeks ago!!! So here you go....

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,51673.0.html

Offline TightestGroove

• LGM Member
  • LIVE BY THE STANDARD, PLAY BY THE STANDARD

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
A drummer once told me to tape batteries around the beater so it becomes heavy and you have to put more effort into the kick. The drummer told me he practiced that, and when I saw him play at this concert, he tore a whole in the bass drum. I'm about to try that myself.

:o TIGHTEST GROOVE :o
EAT, SLEEP, BREATHE DRUMS; CAN'T STOP 'TILL I GET ENOUGH!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 01:01:15 AM »
Buy Michael Packer's DVD and study/practice the techniques and patterns he teaches.

Aside from this Always practice with a metronome. Start at around 35 BPM and play quarter notes (1, 2, 3, 4...) and eigth notes (1&, 2&, 3&, 4&...). Once you have mastered these consistantly for say 10mins. Then do triplets (1&a, 2&a, 3&a, 4&a...) then quads/sixteenths (1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a...).

After you have mastered these while playing eights on the hi-hat ans 2 & 4 on the snare then start mixing the up in grooves. Always with the metronome. I recommend counting them out loud as you do them. If you cannot play them consistantly for 5-10 mins no mistakes do not speed up until you can.

Muscle fatigue causes mistakes. This method builds you r muscle control, muscle memory and muscle endurance. You have to play grooves on record for 3-5 mins this will get you there.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline keydrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 08:31:22 AM »
Buy Michael Packer's DVD and study/practice the techniques and patterns he teaches.

Aside from this Always practice with a metronome. Start at around 35 BPM and play quarter notes (1, 2, 3, 4...) and eigth notes (1&, 2&, 3&, 4&...). Once you have mastered these consistantly for say 10mins. Then do triplets (1&a, 2&a, 3&a, 4&a...) then quads/sixteenths (1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a...).

After you have mastered these while playing eights on the hi-hat ans 2 & 4 on the snare then start mixing the up in grooves. Always with the metronome. I recommend counting them out loud as you do them. If you cannot play them consistantly for 5-10 mins no mistakes do not speed up until you can.

Muscle fatigue causes mistakes. This method builds you r muscle control, muscle memory and muscle endurance. You have to play grooves on record for 3-5 mins this will get you there.
Once again Sabe comes in with the right snswer,Thanks Sabe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up