LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Behringer as bad as they say?  (Read 7164 times)

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

Is Behringer as bad as they say?
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »
I have been researching heads/cabs and combos, and Behringer seems to have a bad reputation (at least among those who regularly frequent talkbass.com).

Do you have a Behringer experience that you can share?

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Is Behringer as bad as they say?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:42:34 AM »

I used to always frequent dj forums and EVERYBODY hated their products. (except for the kids with very little money)

Offline MrEdabass

• LGM Member
    • My youtube

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
I once tried  afew. Not very good.
Jesus

And you'll never find one greater

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:57:01 AM »
I've read a lot of comments about how they supposedly rip off a lot of tech ideas from other companies and put out cheap knockoffs.  Dunno how true that is, I haven't bothered to do the research.

I have no real working experience with their gear though.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »
I've read a lot of comments about how they supposedly rip out a lot of tech ideas from other companys and put out cheap knockoffs.   Dunno how true that is, I haven't bothered to do the research.

Thats how it looks to me

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:14:56 PM »
LOL!  I've read that it's pretty blatant, but DANG.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »
I've read a lot of comments about how they supposedly rip off a lot of tech ideas from other companies and put out cheap knockoffs.  Dunno how true that is, I haven't bothered to do the research.

Their effect pedals are el-cheapo Boss clones; even the color shemes and names are similar .  I know people who actually do like their stuff, though.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 12:28:37 PM »
Behringer is like the Sams Choice coke soda, they claim to have the same taste but once you try for yourself, you notice that there's a huge difference. 

Some amps say 400watts but sounds more like 200 watts, etc... I believe they get a bad rep because they don't live up to what they claim.

Behringer is like the early model Kia's... buy em' cheap but hard to resale.

If anyone is going to invest in the hundreds, get something that is worth investing into and get something that you can get some money back if decide to sale.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:36:34 PM »
i've heard good things about that 450 Watt head (BX4500H) they have

i played it in the store and its pretty decent but it feels like its heavy as 2 concrete slabs sittin on top of a cinder block. but even the people that swear by that head say the rest of their stuff is crap... but if you're on a serious budget.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
They do/did have a habit of making very similar products. As far as reliability issues, I have a small practice combo amp that works wonderfully for me. It is not a copy of anything that I know of. I truly believe that they are being accused of making unreliable products and that is just not true. Why in the world would any manufacturer build and continue to build products intended to fail. I think many folks intentionally beat up their gear in order to damage Behringer's reputation. In addition, they are not the only company guilty of copying designs. Mackie was on that list for many years and was a litigant in a huge lawsuit that I believe they lost! How about all the bass and guitar manufacturers who make a living off Leo Fender's designs?? Why single out Behringer? I think the bottom line is folks think that because it's cheap, it's crap! I just don't subscribe to that way of thinking! 
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 01:03:33 PM »
They do/did have a habit of making very similar products. As far as reliability issues, I have a small practice combo amp that works wonderfully for me. It is not a copy of anything that I know of. I truly believe that they are being accused of making unreliable products and that is just not true. Why in the world would any manufacturer build and continue to build products intended to fail. I think many folks intentionally beat up their gear in order to damage Behringer's reputation. In addition, they are not the only company guilty of copying designs. Mackie was on that list for many years and was a litigant in a huge lawsuit that I believe they lost! How about all the bass and guitar manufacturers who make a living off Leo Fender's designs?? Why single out Behringer? I think the bottom line is folks think that because it's cheap, it's crap! I just don't subscribe to that way of thinking! 
Manufacterers build cheap products all the time

When it comes to music gear, you get what you pay for.

I refuse to believe that people would bash a product that is actually good.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 01:12:36 PM »
Well, yeah, they may build a product cheaply and with a bit less detail than a more expensive boutique product but I don't think they intend for it to fail. That's just bad business especially if you intend to compete.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 01:15:53 PM »
Well, yeah, they may build a product cheaply and with a bit less detail than a more expensive boutique product but I don't think they intend for it to fail. That's just bad business especially if you intend to compete.

As long as there are kids and cheap churches, who will purchace garbage gear, they will continue making and selling them

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 03:12:19 PM »
It's true that Behringer does what's called "reverse engineering" (taking other company's Research and Designs and making it their own).  I believe this is one of the ways that they keep cost down. 

Over the years their products have gotten better but, they still have a bad rep because of early failures.  It's true that most companies borrow from other companies technology, add a little something to it and pass it off as their own latest technology.  IMO, one of the biggest mistakes that they made was trying to make their products look like the products that they ripped off. 

I used a Behringer mixer (as a DI) for a while before I got a Di box.  And I still use their faders controller for mixing and haven't had any problems.  I would consider using their heads but, wouldn't trust their cabinets.  JMO

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 03:57:54 PM »
There are some Behringer products that I wouldn't mind having.  I'm thinking about getting their midi foot controler to use with an audio interface and my laptop for FX.  I've read nothing but good things about it, even from folks that generally despise Behringer.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 04:20:19 PM »
I owned a bx1200. which is a 120 watt combo with a 12inch speaker. The tone wasn't awful, it was mediocore. It was loud and controlled and more importantly it was low. It was not bad at all. I bought it for about $180 out of the box and sold it about 2 years after that for $100. I wanted a stack and used that $100 to help pay for the stack.

It had a lot of ins and outs that I miss. I am in the market for a cheap head. I might get their 450watt head, just wish they had one with a lil less watts, like 180 watts at 8 ohms. I've tried their products in the store amps/cabs and lets just say I was never disatisfied.

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »
I bought a Behringer Preamp once I just didn't like the tone it produced so I sold it on eBay. I agree with DW cheap doesn't always mean bad. At one time you could buy a Fender Precision for $200.00 American made to boot, but try that now ( A real precision not the remake)
Main5playah

Offline fluteminstrel

• LGM Member
  • my bass

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 09:18:12 PM »
i've heard good things about that 450 Watt head (BX4500H) they have

i played it in the store and its pretty decent but it feels like its heavy as 2 concrete slabs sittin on top of a cinder block. but even the people that swear by that head say the rest of their stuff is crap... but if you're on a serious budget.
      i own this very same amp and when i play at events every one wants to use it  i play it thru a peavy 212 cab ver old one that was given to me by my father inlaw sounds very good and i hve had it for four years with no problem i love it

Offline bass_mann1

• LGM Member
  • May God continue to guide my heart and hands

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 10:03:27 PM »
I have used the BX4500H head once with a Peavy cab and once with a Behringer cab, I liked them both I spent some time in Europe (courtesy of our favorite uncle) and that is where I was introduced to the company, it is very popular there, I have a Behringer Eurorack mixer and mike both for over 5 years and I've had no problems, I also think it's a personal preference, some Chevy some Ford, some Fender, some Peavy   
Life is:
God, Family and Music

Offline Bassics

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 07:31:42 AM »
I own the Behringer BX450 Amp and the BB410 cabinet.  I have no problems.  A friend of mine, who i consider a professional bass player, played on it and made it sound like a million dollars.  At that point i realized i would rather focus on my playing rather than the equipment. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up