LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio Recording.... Mic'ing your amp vs. direct in to recording equipment...  (Read 9219 times)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I'm just questioning the self glorification thing...  ?/?

sorry trackman, cold you explain a little bit more?? not sure who you are referring to....although I have an idea.

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

....and to be judged NOT by the color of our skin..but the content of our character!

...wait a minute...im sorry, got swept up in the moment..

now THAT'S comedy  :D

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

sorry trackman, cold you explain a little bit more?? not sure who you are referring to....although I have an idea.

I'm speaking of Mr. Jordan Rivers. It first struck me odd that he used his full name as his user name. I wondered about why he would use his full name. After reading his monologues and seeing how much he advertises himself (going from the subject at hand to promoting his new album to telling us, in so many words, that our wives and girlfriends would leave us if we purchased the equipment he owns - all in the same "breath"), I understand why. This guy is very full of himself. He is trying to promote himself in any venue that he can. It showed everytime that he put finger to keyboard. I then noticed how extremly defensive he was at someone differing in opinion from him. Another sign of someone who esteems themselves way higher than everyone else or way lower than everyone else. This guy seems the former.

To classify yourself as one of the top five guitarist of all time?!?! First of all, Polls like this can be made up on the spot. Second, they offer no validity to anyone's ability to do anything. Third, it doesn't matter how well you play the guitar for God if your spirit isn't right. Rememer that God's calmed the king through David's spirit - through his playing. If you seek glorification for what you do here on earth - that is your reward.

Sorry, didn't want to preach... "Is there just one..." :D
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

GO HEAD PREACHER
              ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  Yea,sometimes you got to read between the line.Only God knows your heart.And,it is not for us to judge.Pastor Trackman AMEN  ;)

Offline Jordan Rivers

• LGM Member
  • Jordan Rivers, Gospel, Rock,Blues,Jazz Guitarist
    • GW Williams - The Rock,Blues ,Gospel Guitar Blog

back to the original question.....there are obviously positives and negatives to both. I have both kinds of rigs. I have a 30 watt class A tube amp with a big analog pedal board. I have a line 6/bogner spider valve with the fbv controller. i have a pod x3 live. they are all wonderful tools that can all sound great....both live and recorded.

we have made the decision at church to go with no amps on the platform....i wasn't excited but am willing to do whatever to make things the best they can be. the pod x3 sounds AMAZING. i've been listening to recordings of the services and you'd never know it was a pod....i mean it really sounds outstanding.

so the bottom line is use what sounds good, what works best for your situation and for your budget. there are no rules.

Here's my thought, when touring or playing at other churches, I rather have my amps, the reason why I can control the sound I want. When singing I have no choice but to use their sound systems, but I can stand on my voice if I have too.
But on guitar I don't want someone chaning my settings.

You can't rely on other people's judgment to get you the sound you want.
The sound you create on guitar describes who you are.
Also I am aware the all amps have a very powerful beam of sound that shoots out at people about 1 foot to 2 feet wide.
That sound beam comes from the center of the cone, so I place my amps on stands that angle back about 20 Degress and shoots that beam over peoples heads so it doesn't blow them away.
    Next if you're in a church and can sneak into the church(well ask the pastor) on a night off from your  music team members, go into the church and plug your system into the sound system, run it in stereo to 2 channels left and right out.
Besure to balance your sound in our effects box with the eq and effects, work all the details out.
If it takes an extra day then  make time with the sound man and come back a week later and finish.
Besure you take a pen and paper and mark all your settings down, on your pedals and the sound system.
Trust me kids fool with sound systems, and when you need a quick fix you have your notes.
     If your sound system isn't in stereo, then route from the left output of your guitar effects processor box into 1 channel.
And make your adjustments into the sound system.
I have done this before myself, and you can get a very full sound.
And I think it sound better than a mic amp.
     So those are my idea's, on the subject.
Still I like to control my own sound so I use my amps most of the time.
                      Thanks Jordan Rivers

http://jordanriversguitarforum.blogspot.com/

Offline Jordan Rivers

• LGM Member

I'm speaking of Mr. Jordan Rivers. It first struck me odd that he used his full name as his user name. I wondered about why he would use his full name. After reading his monologues and seeing how much he advertises himself (going from the subject at hand to promoting his new album to telling us, in so many words, that our wives and girlfriends would leave us if we purchased the equipment he owns - all in the same "breath"), I understand why. This guy is very full of himself. He is trying to promote himself in any venue that he can. It showed everytime that he put finger to keyboard. I then noticed how extremly defensive he was at someone differing in opinion from him. Another sign of someone who esteems themselves way higher than everyone else or way lower than everyone else. This guy seems the former.

To classify yourself as one of the top five guitarist of all time?!?! First of all, Polls like this can be made up on the spot. Second, they offer no validity to anyone's ability to do anything. Third, it doesn't matter how well you play the guitar for God if your spirit isn't right. Rememer that God's calmed the king through David's spirit - through his playing. If you seek glorification for what you do here on earth - that is your reward.

Sorry, didn't want to preach... "Is there just one..." :D

Hi, if you feel that way that's ok....I hear you.
As far as rankings go , please re-read, John Sinclare made that ranking, I have rankings from 3rd 5th, 7th, 10th up to 32nd.
It just depends what people like in music.There 1000's of web sites out there and people making posts.
Over a million if I remember right.
   Just so you know.... I do feel I have the skills to be in the top 10 of guitar players alive today.
But that's my feeling.You can disagree if you wish.

If you want to know who I think the best is.....
I told someone today in an email, I thought that the greatest electric guitar player of all time was and is George Benson, he plays without effects that the rockers use today.He doesn't hide behind sound effects that cover peoples mistakes.
He has the skill and techinque down.
I wished he'd play a little more blues but that's ok.I love his jazz music.

Also, as far as promoting, my CD will be released in 2 months or less I hope, but if your a pastor remember this.
Seek and Ye Shall Find, Knock and The Door Shall Be Open......if I hide in a Closest, then when will someone hear my CD?
Or see My music Video?
Lets face it, to be a Guitar Player you have to get out there and play.
People have to see you, or what's the point?
If you want to be used of Christ, then don't hide it under a bush.Let it shine !!

And lets remeber Who Preached from the Mt of Olives?
Remember......I'd think, if he had a sound system, he's broadcast it out louder from the Mt.

AS far as myself acting like I know it all?
well let me ask you this........if I know something and people ask a  question, I guess I can sit on my hands and not say a word, or I can share.....So speaking up bothers people here, then I can move along. And let you all chat here.
I am not going to force myself on you.

And as for the sound equipment being 55,000.00 It took me years and years to buy it all.
It didn't happen over night.
To dream of owning equipment like this is very hard on a person, the reason why, is you feel without it you're being held back.
Yet at the same time, it costs dearly.

I wanted my first guitar so bad and I came from a very poor family , father left when I was 13, I worked in the fields picking grapes to get my first guitar at 13, I wanted that guitar since I was 5 years old.
I work every year,in the fields in 105 degree heat each summer, to buy music books,school clothes and tape recorders.
That was how I began.
So if you think I was some rich fool, shooting off his mouth, then you have me pegged all wrong.
I know the pain, of trying to find a dream, a guitar and to play it.
I could have gone to the world, but I didn't.
Trying to find a way , and having a dream to aim for in Jesus.....that's changes a persons life and heart, gives hope, when there is no hope. I know I have been there many times.I started with nothing.
BUt with Jesus there's always a way.
      If you think me bad.
         So be it.
          But at least I speak the truth from my heart.
                   Jordan Rivers

Offline Julie spivey

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I thought that the greatest electric guitar player of all time was and is George Benson, he plays without effects that the rockers use today.He doesn't hide behind sound effects that cover peoples mistakes.

Total To That!!!  I try studying his vids and end up listening to him play and just get mesmerized...then I stick a Wes Montgomery cd on...then a Charlie Christian..then a..oh well ya'll get the point..

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

WASSUP PEOPLE!!!!

did I miss something???  :D :D :D

Offline Jordan Rivers

• LGM Member

I thought that the greatest electric guitar player of all time was and is George Benson, he plays without effects that the rockers use today.He doesn't hide behind sound effects that cover peoples mistakes.

Total To That!!!  I try studying his vids and end up listening to him play and just get mesmerized...then I stick a Wes Montgomery cd on...then a Charlie Christian..then a..oh well ya'll get the point..

Thanks Julie it's good to know other love Bensons music also.
I do love listening to Eric Clapton, I am taking about the Eric Clapton of today, not 20 or more years ago.
Eric just loves to play now, he tries to have fun and it seems he's more relaxed these days.
The The King of Guitar will always be George Benson.

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

I do love listening to Eric Clapton, I am taking about the Eric Clapton of today, not 20 or more years ago.
Eric just loves to play now, he tries to have fun and it seems he's more relaxed these days.

I love the way Benson just seems to be so relaxed in his playing. You really feel what he wants you to feel in his music. It's incredible...

Clapton is one of my fav's too (today's Clapton ;)). He really does seem to have alot of fun when he's playing. One of my favorite DVD's is the Crossroads DVD.
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

Agreed on Clapton (I'll have to look into some Benson, I'm not too familiar--know the name, never really listened).

I love watching the Crossroads benefits; shorts, sandals, and like you said, he's just having fun.

He's actually got a house around here, but I've yet to run into him lol. Turns out his wife, Melia, went to school with my wife's boss, but they have no contact with her know--I tried though lol.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

North Korea has extended an invitation for Clapton to perform there (they recently had the NY Philharmonic Orchestra play).  So far, no word on if he has acepted the invite.  As for Benson, he's the man.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline SanctifiedGuitar

• LGM Member
  • Live a sanctified and holy life.

Agreed on Clapton (I'll have to look into some Benson, I'm not too familiar--know the name, never really listened).

here you are: My favorites

Have you been baptized in Jesus' name and received the Holy Ghost?
(Acts 2:37,38 and 19:1-7)

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

Thanks, I'm checking these out right now.

Dude's good. I wish I could play more that style, but honestly, I wouldn't use it much, and I'd just lose it lol.

Very nice, though.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Thanks, I'm checking these out right now.

Dude's good. I wish I could play more that style, but honestly, I wouldn't use it much, and I'd just lose it lol.

Very nice, though.

Another guy to check out is a protege' of Mr. Benson named Norman Brown:

Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline SanctifiedGuitar

• LGM Member
  • Live a sanctified and holy life.

Thanks Dave,

First time hearing of Norman Brown...he's pretty good, but not yet George Benson.

Have you been baptized in Jesus' name and received the Holy Ghost?
(Acts 2:37,38 and 19:1-7)

Offline Julie spivey

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Thanks Dave,

First time hearing of Norman Brown...he's pretty good, but not yet George Benson.

Man..that was awesome ..I agree not a George but he has a special flair that I feel sure he's picking up the Torch...wow and he has a unique way of playing octaves while some very clever scatting...that maui gig was great!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up