LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focus on the little bit!  (Read 834 times)

Offline karendj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Focus on the little bit!
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:32:28 PM »
I've taught school for 4 years, and I have learned that if you teach children a little bit - focus on the underlying concept then they can build knowledge for themselves rather than drilling them, fusing at them, and memorizing all the textbook information. It is a concept that Japanese schools have known for years.

I've said all of this to say, that I've experienced this with my music. I began music lessons as a child almost 20 years ago and never could stay with it, but always kept the desire to play. Now I feel as if the Holy Spirit has illuminated my musical understanding and kept alive my desire to play and practice, because I grew more in 2007 musically than I have in these 20 years. 

My music teacher has taught me various chords for 3 years and has given me beautiful songs that I have practiced, with wonderful fill-ins, but i wasn't getting anywhere, - I thought - because I couldn't keep a practice schedule, I never seemed to become fluent in the songs, and forget about playing those songs in different keys. 

For the last 4 months I've done nothing, but play a simple Glory, Glory, Hallelujah with a few fill-ins everyday in all 12 keys. I wrote it out, studied the pattern, practiced and now I have been able to pick out so many songs, because I understand the pattern in Glory, Glory Hallelujah. I have picked out almost all of our traditional congregational songs, I even recognize a few patterns in songs I hear on the radio, I can find the key of almost any song because I've been practicing in all 12 keys. Then I realized that I can play a few simple songs like, This jOy I have, OH Peter don't be afraid, and a few others with the CD, because they follow simple patterns.

All of this came from FOCUSING ON A LITTLE BIT - the basics, the underylying concepts and now I am building knowledge from what I know. I am nowhere near where I want to be, but so much farther than where I was and I give God the Glory for all of it.

Just thought I would share this, rather than write it in a journal, where no one would benefit.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Focus on the little bit!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 08:22:33 PM »
That is an awesome testimony karendj.  The main thing people need to know is to get the basics down FIRST before trying to add in the extra stuff.  It seems like you've mastered that concept well and are now able to apply the fill-ins because you got the basics down.  Good job, keep it up!!! :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

Re: Focus on the little bit!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 08:48:44 PM »
Great testimony & thank U 4 sharing Karendj.

I just can't imagine the pain & frustration you've been through all these years >:(
But praise God now U've uncovered the key behind a successful recipe.

I praise God 4 this testimony & will keep it in mind when I teach young kids :)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up