LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My probelm? What is the sound or the note being song?  (Read 976 times)

Offline blesedone1

• LGM Member
  • Happily, Happily Married

My probelm? What is the sound or the note being song?
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:27:37 AM »
I don't know if I'm tone deaf or if I'm using the wrong amp. My sole problem has been what is the key of the song and how do I know that - that is the right key?

Any one with any suggestions on that..I was taught whatever key is the strongest that is the key of the song and what ever melody line your playing that is the key of the song..

But, yet I'm still having a problem with this one. What I can't stand most of all, is when I'm playing an instrument and I have other musicians telling me what are you playing that's not the key there singing in.

But, how does the other musician know that - that is what I"m hearing. Everyone does not hear the same sounds God made us all different. (Guess, I feel intimidated when a skilled musician is in the presence and I just go blank) I'm still working on God to work on me for that.

For God has not given us the spirit of fear...

Thanks all!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: My probelm? What is the sound or the note being song?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »
You just gotta keep working on your ear, try to play along with simple melodies, learn to read music, get a teacher, do whatever it takes. If you know all major the scales, and what notes belong in them, that will help you find the key. What I used to do was play a cadence, and whatever note I finish on, thats what key I'm playing in. I also would think about the shout walk up, I know that if I start on C then I'm playing in Ab, If i start on the Bb then I'm in F#. does that make sense?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »
Developing your ear and knowing your major scales will help you to find the key of a song much faster.  Hints to your key are when you get to the end of a verse in a song, the chord played there is probably your 1 chord.  So, whatever the root of that chord is, that's probably your key.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »
I know that feeling all too well. Nothing changed until I made a committment to learn my theory and practice correctly. What T-block is basically saying is the same thing....we must invest in learning theory. I would go to the General Music Hangout and click on the LGM Ultimate Theory thread, start at the top and work your way down the list. The material in the General Music Hangout has made me less timid in front of other musicians....as a matter of fact, that information is what helped me get the jobs that I have. Feel free to ask questions if you need to because we are here to help you in any way we can. God bless!!
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline blesedone1

• LGM Member
  • Happily, Happily Married

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:35:35 AM »
okay, all

Thanks a lot for your input I'm going to go check out the theory part. My problem is that there is no one person who is consistent with teaching methods. I was taking a class a long time ago until I noticed that the teacher just started throwing me stuff after the teacher noticed I picked up quick I was given wrong notes for some songs and it's like I can feel when the song is right to me and when it's wrong.

I hate being taken advantage of - that's all

Be blessed!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »
My problem is that there is no one person who is consistent with teaching methods.

EXACTLY, everyone learns things different so everyone teaches different.  You have to find a teacher that you can understand and learn from easier.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up