LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is your throne supposed to be HIGH or LOW??  (Read 1711 times)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

Is your throne supposed to be HIGH or LOW??
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:47:34 PM »
I recently got into a debate with an older cat about how high your drum seat should be. This dude sits so low, his knees look like they are above his waist. He has to reach up to hit his cymbals, and it just overall looks like he is doing way more work than he should.

He tells me that this is the correct way to sit. Now I've seen drummers sit so high up, it looks like they are standing up. But I don't sit real high, just high enough so that I can see over my kit.

Is there a correct way or is it just a comfort thing?

Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

Re: Is your throne supposed to be HIGH or LOW??
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:50:42 PM »
High or low is a personal preference. You should be comfortable when you play the drums. Don't get into arguments with guys who don't know what YOUR body likes. Just make sure your back is straight when you play. Correct posture can save you physical damage to your spine in the long run.

Do you really need someone to tell you how YOU need to sit?
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 04:02:17 PM »

...for younger guys that don't know or beginners....yes!  Sometimes you need someone to "guide" you into the world of playing drums comfortably.  I think it was Tommy Igoe that stated that a very high percentage of beginners quit the drums because things aren't comfortable including "seating".  ;)

Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 04:07:35 PM »
I know a guy, whose around 6'5", who sits so low, he looks like he's literally sitting on the floor. Then, of course...

...you have a dude like Chris Dave, whose around 4'5", that is practically standing as he plays. To many, that looks less than comfortable, but my point is - it depends on the individual. Are you going to sit in an uncomfortable manner 'cause some supposedly wiser old-head tells you you're not sitting correctly?

To each his/her own.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 04:15:07 PM »
I know a guy, whose around 6'5", who sits so low, he looks like he's literally sitting on the floor. Then, of course...

...you have a dude like Chris Dave, whose around 4'5", that is practically standing as he plays. To many, that looks less than comfortable, but my point is - it depends on the individual. Are you going to sit in an uncomfortable manner 'cause some supposedly wiser old-head tells you you're not sitting correctly?

To each his/her own.

....what do you know about Chris Dave????  ;D ;)
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 04:16:29 PM »

Well this guy can blaze, and has played in some big time venues, so when we were talking and when he was watching me set up, he just didn't understand why my seat was high. So I told him, that all the guys I grew up listening to don't sit low. But the guys he grew up listening  to (Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl) sit low. 

So I tried it out and my arms started hurting trying to reach for everything. So that'll never work for me, but was just seeing if there was a correct way that might have been taught in some type of schooling or something.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 04:37:08 PM »

Well this guy can blaze, and has played in some big time venues, so when we were talking and when he was watching me set up, he just didn't understand why my seat was high. So I told him, that all the guys I grew up listening to don't sit low. But the guys he grew up listening  to (Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl) sit low. 

So I tried it out and my arms started hurting trying to reach for everything. So that'll never work for me, but was just seeing if there was a correct way that might have been taught in some type of schooling or something.

...well, Dave Weckl doesn't sit low.  He sits with he legs parallel to the floor.  He covers "seating" in his Back to Basics DVD and Evolution DVD's.  To each is own though. Just make sure you put comfort first over "fads".

E.R.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »

To each his/her own.

Iz You Who I Think You Be?

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 06:02:03 PM »
Simple divine!
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 06:03:08 PM »
What's one divided by one?

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 06:04:32 PM »
NCAA Division I...

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 07:14:29 PM »
He's made his annual appearance huh? Glad to have you back... for however long you decide to be here man.

Offline b_jizzle20

• LGM Member
    • MY MUSIC

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
I keep my throne where my heels gently rest on the heel plates

8) 8)

E.R.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 07:01:21 AM »
Simple divine!

I figured he was diving off the deep end once again.  ;D

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 08:07:12 AM »
The main word here in comfort! You put the height where you feel the best, no one can tell you how high to sit. Drummers who have been playing for a long time (like me lol) will tell you that your seat height will change depending on how you feel. NEVER go by looking at another drummers set up for anything just do what feels good to you......As for that older guy; his seat height was the norm back in the late 80's and most of the 90's...I have videos with my seat that low too from back then, but yeah after awhile of playing like that they wonder why their knees and back hurt and things are cramping up.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 08:43:17 PM »
Bad seat height not only affects your posture, but it also affects your technique. I had a battle with this very thing a few years back. I was trying to sit high like a lot of others were doing (I liked the idea of my cymbals being right in front of me). When I started to do this i noticed that my bass drum technique went south. Not thinking, I thought my bass drum pedal was the problem. I then proceeded to go through all the popular brand bass drum pedals. I went from an Flying Dragon, to an Eliminator, Iron Cobra, 5000, and then a 9000. None of them felt right, no matter how I adjusted it. I then decided to lower my seat height a couple inches and it made all the difference in the world. My pedal felt drastically better and I got a horrible feeling in my stomach, having got rid of my Flying Dragon. Overall, make sure your seat height is not impeding on your technique behind the kit.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 08:16:31 AM »
Bad seat height not only affects your posture, but it also affects your technique. I had a battle with this very thing a few years back. I was trying to sit high like a lot of others were doing (I liked the idea of my cymbals being right in front of me). When I started to do this i noticed that my bass drum technique went south. Not thinking, I thought my bass drum pedal was the problem. I then proceeded to go through all the popular brand bass drum pedals. I went from an Flying Dragon, to an Eliminator, Iron Cobra, 5000, and then a 9000. None of them felt right, no matter how I adjusted it. I then decided to lower my seat height a couple inches and it made all the difference in the world. My pedal felt drastically better and I got a horrible feeling in my stomach, having got rid of my Flying Dragon. Overall, make sure your seat height is not impeding on your technique behind the kit.

Well put my brother!!!! You don't need that 9000 anyways!!!! ;)

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »
Well put my brother!!!! You don't need that 9000 anyways!!!! ;)
You don't either! ;) ;) ;)
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »
You don't either! ;) ;) ;)
Hey, Hey, Hey............Be Nice!!! ;D . The Bible says Its better to give my brother! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up