LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Traditional Songs In Minor Keys  (Read 52504 times)

Offline teresac

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Traditional Songs In Minor Keys
« on: February 25, 2008, 04:17:44 PM »
 In a previous post, I posted a version of Victory Is Mine using only major chords,
(See post http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,51829.0.html)

I was curious to see how Victory Is Mine sounds if played in a minor key.
This midi includes three versions of Victory Is Mine in the key of F Major/D Minor
1.   Key of D Minor: Using only minor chords
2.   Key of F Major: Using only major chords
3.   Key of D Minor Using a combination of minor and major chords

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/media/displayimage.php?album=432&pos=2

I want to include traditional songs in minor keys into my practice routine. I went through my hymnals and spirituals looking for traditional songs in minor keys.  I was surprised to find so few. These are the ones that I found.   Please, add any that I missed. 

I Feel Like My Time Ain?t Long
I Feel Like A Motherless Child
Didn?t My Lord Deliver Daniel
Go Tell It On The Mountain (verse is in minor; chorus is in major)
Go Down Moses
Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho
Motherless Child Really Sees It Hard
Wade In The Water
Weepin? Mary
What Child Is This
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
We Three Kings

Offline blkerr1117

• LGM Member

Re: Traditional Songs In Minor Keys
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »
I can think of a couple - they aren't hymns, more like choir songs which I consider traditional, they are:

12 gates (have you heard of a city, streets are paved with gold)
God gave me a song (that the angels cannot sing)

and I'm not in front of a keyboard but I think Edwin Hawkins "Come and go with me to my fathers house"

Offline teresac

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 10:32:35 PM »
I can think of a couple - they aren't hymns, more like choir songs which I consider traditional, they are:

and I'm not in front of a keyboard but I think Edwin Hawkins "Come and go with me to my fathers house"

Thank-you  blkerr1117,

I'm not familiar with the two choir songs.  I have a few Edwin Hawkins's CDs which I haven't listened to in some time.  I need to dig them out and wipe the dust off of them.  I did find some nice midis of "Come and go with me to my fathers house" at http://www.godsgospel.com/midisaz.htm.  These midis are done in the key of F major. 

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:36:32 PM »
I am practicing Jericho in the key of A minor. 
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:38:40 PM »
I am learning to play Jericho in the key of A minor.  This is one of the songs that I will play Wednesday at my piano lesson.
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 11:44:21 PM »
I heard a version of "This is the day that the Lord has made" in E minor. Fred Hammond?

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 09:16:28 PM »
I am currently learning Go Down, Moses- A minor :)

Offline teresac

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 10:23:59 PM »
I am practicing Jericho in the key of A minor. 

I am currently learning Go Down, Moses- A minor :)

Very good, SisterCM.  You have two songs in minor keys.  Are you currently studying minor keys?

blkerr1117,
Hammondman has posted two videos of songs in minor keys, one of which is 12 Gates; the other is All Over Me.  The 12 Gates is nice.  And now that I have seen the video, I realized that yes, I do know the song 12 Gates.  We haven't sung it in a good while in my church.  The video is very nice.  I am currently working on Wade In The Water as my minor song.  I think I'll learn 12 Gates once I've finished working on Wade in The Water.

Here's the link to Hammonman's videos.
http://zone.hearandplay.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5974

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 07:01:34 AM »
Very good, SisterCM.  You have two songs in minor keys.  Are you currently studying minor keys?

Yes.  Next week I will start practicing D minor.  Do you know of any hymns in the key of D minor?  The song that I have to practice is a popular song.   

Offline blkerr1117

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 01:21:45 PM »
teresac,

Thanks for the link, it's been a few years since I've done 12 gates, but, still like to shock the congregation from time to time.

The Edwin Hawkins "Come and go with me" is not the same as the midi link you attached this one has lyrics of:

Come and go with me to my fathers house to my fathers house
Come and go with me to my fathers house to my fathers house
There'll be no crying there, there'll be no dying there
Come and go with me to my fathers house, to my fathers house

v:  In my fathers house - there are many mansions there, if it were not true you know I would have told you so, I go to prepare a place for you, where I go you may come there too, come on and go with me to my fathers house, to my fathers house.

Didn't think I'd put most the lyrics but wanted to make sure you knew which song I was talking about.

Edwin Hawkins also did "I heard the voice" which starts (for me anyway) in
A minor.

In case you're still looking for minor songs.

Offline blkerr1117

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 01:43:21 PM »
teresac,

Found Come and go with me (Fathers House) on you tube, here's the link:

Offline blkerr1117

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »
teresac,

I'll leave you alone now, but I did find a link for a sample of Edwin Hawkins I Heard The Voice:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1071266/a/Oh+Happy+Day.htm

Brent

Offline teresac

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 10:15:33 PM »
blkerr1117,

Thank-you.  I am surprised at how many traditional songs are written in minor keys.  I liked "I Heard A Voice".  Keep posting them as you think of them. 

Offline teresac

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 10:42:18 PM »
blkerr1117,

Since you named two Hawkins songs, I realized that many Hawkins songs have that haunting sweetness.  So I checked my collection of Hawkins sheet music.  Yes, the Hawkins family wrote several songs in the minor keys. 

Be Grateful in E minor
Lord I Try in Db minor
Call Me in E minor
With the Love of the Lord E minor

Be Grateful is one of my all time favorites. 

Offline teresac

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 10:56:13 PM »
Yes.  Next week I will start practicing D minor.  Do you know of any hymns in the key of D minor?  The song that I have to practice is a popular song.  

Most of the hymns that are in minor keys are in the key of E minor. 

You can transpose one of your songs to the key of D minor.  In fact the two songs you posted are both in different minor keys in my hymnals.  "Joshua Fit De Battle Of Jericho" is in the key of E minor and "Go Down, Moses" is in the key of G minor.  I'll be glad to help if you want to transpose a song.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 07:08:27 AM »
Most of the hymns that are in minor keys are in the key of E minor. 

You can transpose one of your songs to the key of D minor.  In fact the two songs you posted are both in different minor keys in my hymnals.  "Joshua Fit De Battle Of Jericho" is in the key of E minor and "Go Down, Moses" is in the key of G minor.  I'll be glad to help if you want to transpose a song.

I did not like those two songs but they were the only songs I have in my lesson book in the key of A minor.

I would like to add Wade In The Water to my practice routine.  I do not have the sheet music for this song.  Do you have a copy of the sheet music?  I will transpose the song to different minor keys.   

Offline teresac

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 11:05:30 PM »
SisterCM,

I found a very nice arrangement of Wade In The Water on the internet.  I don't remember from where I got it.  I'll post it and a midi with it on Saturday.  I'll post it in the key of D minor.  I will keep it simple but it will still be a bit of a challenge.  It contains a lot of syncopation.  You will be able to play it if you practice hands alone before trying to play both hands together. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up