LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move the Accent Around...  (Read 6869 times)

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

Move the Accent Around...
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:01:20 AM »
...I got this exercise a long time ago from a famous latin drummer by the name of Alvaro Lopez and then from Christopher Coleman and my good friend MENDOZA.

...play the Paradiddle rudiment with an accent on the first note.

(16th Note Subdivision - 4/4 time)

R L R R   L R L L   R L R R   L R L L

...now move the accent to the second note.

R L R R     L R L L     R L R R     L R L L

...third note.

...fourth note.

...each exercise should be played at least 20 times at different tempos and dynamic volumes. (Use a metronome and work them out by listening to songs off of any CD.)  The point is to not only know them but make them "groove".

...this is what I'm working on and I just thought I'd share it with you all. 8)
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Move the Accent Around...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:30:48 AM »
...if you want to make it a lot more challenging, play the above exercises with an Ostinato on the bottom.  That way you're working on 4 Way Coordination. 8)

...have your hi hat foot play 8th Notes and your right kick foot play half notes and play the exercises.  That's just an example to the many things one can work on.  (use a metronome.)
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline depondrums

• LGM Member
  • GOD IS THE ONE AND ONLY JUDGE........

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:09:19 AM »
...if you want to make it a lot more challenging, play the above exercises with an Ostinato on the bottom.  That way you're working on 4 Way Coordination.

...have your hi hat foot play 8th Notes and your right kick foot play half notes and play the exercises.  That's just an example to the many things one can work on.  (use a metronome.)

Thanks JFUNKY.
More knowledge being spread amongst the brethren.
I PLAY TO THE GLORY OF GOD........

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 11:33:55 AM »
Good stuff.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »
Yeah dude.............me and my dude had been doin the accent moving stuff.....but we gotta do that ostinato now lol
Keep It Funky

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 03:18:37 PM »
Yeah dude.............me and my dude had been doin the accent moving stuff.....but we gotta do that ostinato now lol

...I got another one for yall.  I'll be back. ;)

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 04:16:17 PM »
Man this board.......had a meetin' with Jesus...... :-\

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 04:30:59 PM »
Hush and contribute.  Are you rudimentally sound?  If not, get to learning and practicin'!   ;D
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 04:43:06 PM »
Aiight - try this: play an eighth note, followed by two sixteenths and a quarter (one and ah two).  Right flam the eighth and diddle the two sixteenths with the right hand and play the quarter note with the left.  Keep the diddles low (of course). 

When you get it clean (key word) and up to speed, it'll sound like the intro of the composer, John Williams' Superman.  You can play it in applications of 4/4 and it also sounds great with 6/8 and 12/8 stuff.   

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 05:35:40 PM »
Hush and contribute.  Are you rudimentally sound?  If not, get to learning and practicin'!   ;D

Yessuh *lmbo* Im on it chief. 8)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 05:49:10 PM »
Aiight - try this: play an eighth note, followed by two sixteenths and a quarter (one and ah two).  Right flam the eighth and diddle the two sixteenths with the right hand and play the quarter note with the left.  Keep the diddles low (of course). 

When you get it clean (key word) and up to speed, it'll sound like the intro of the composer, John Williams' Superman.  You can play it in applications of 4/4 and it also sounds great with 6/8 and 12/8 stuff.   

That could also be viewed/read , played as a inverted single stroke four with an over the bar feel because the quarter note on two could be substituted with a 16th followed by a dotted 8th rest or 8th and 16th rest or (3) 16th note rests.
ie 1 [16th note triplet starting on "&"] ending on the 2 ...if I am not mistaken  ?/? What say you Professor J_Kay?
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 11:45:58 PM »
More knowledge...thanks JFunk...I'm about to get working on this....GB
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 05:35:27 AM »
That could also be viewed/read , played as a inverted single stroke four with an over the bar feel because the quarter note on two could be substituted with a 16th followed by a dotted 8th rest or 8th and 16th rest or (3) 16th note rests.
ie 1 [16th note triplet starting on "&"] ending on the 2 ...if I am not mistaken  ?/? What say you Professor J_Kay?

Correct - it's crazy just like the same quick single stroke four "illusion" that I shown you at the crib (remember: rrll). 

Ay yall, we could go on for hours with all kinds of variations and talk about the theory behind it when we get together.  It's a trip, lol!

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 07:32:22 AM »

...okay, now that's crazy.  I'm working it out right now.  (I have to do it slow as I'm reading.LOL)  Yall dudes and your formulas. lol

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 11:06:32 PM »
There is a book called Basic Drumming (Revised and Expanded Edition) by Joel Rothman that just got turned on to that has a lot of these type  sticking patterns and rudimental exercises in it... like starting the rudiment on the up beat which gives it that over the bar/beat feel.

This book also has Left Hand Control exercises, Accent Studies, Rolls etc. I recommend it.

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 11:14:32 PM »
Correct - it's crazy just like the same quick single stroke four "illusion" that I shown you at the crib (remember: rrll). 

Ay yall, we could go on for hours with all kinds of variations and talk about the theory behind it when we get together.  It's a trip, lol!

Another Great "Basic" is the Para-Triplet! Another way to pull that "over" feel as well as toggle between 3 and 4 note groupings and time signatures like 4 and 6 or 12 or 3 over 2 and 3 over 4. Fun stuff that kicks your butt however you will grow from it.

Offline edough

• LGM Member
  • philly !

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 10:26:17 AM »
Another Great "Basic" is the Para-Triplet! Another way to pull that "over" feel as well as toggle between 3 and 4 note groupings and time signatures like 4 and 6 or 12 or 3 over 2 and 3 over 4. Fun stuff that kicks your butt however you will grow from it.

this right here has helped me tremendously. Just thinking in terms of groupings has stretch my thinking and forced me to combine rudiment clusters that are starting to take form and sound like my own style.
"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain".

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 12:41:01 AM »
this right here has helped me tremendously. Just thinking in terms of groupings has stretch my thinking and forced me to combine rudiment clusters that are starting to take form and sound like my own style.

Phrasing (groupings) builds the vocabulary and makes the musician.
You are on your way. Explore some of the books mentioned they will help to expand you and direct your path. It's easier to get somewhere with a guide or map/directions (plan made plain on tables).

Offline edough

• LGM Member
  • philly !

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »
Phrasing (groupings) builds the vocabulary and makes the musician.
You are on your way. Explore some of the books mentioned they will help to expand you and direct your path. It's easier to get somewhere with a guide or map/directions (plan made plain on tables).
yeah having a teacher also helps alot..
"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain".
Pages: [1]   Go Up