LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Health Topic....... Why are so many Musicians overweight???  (Read 7336 times)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

Health Topic....... Why are so many Musicians overweight???
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:59:28 PM »
Let me start by saying that I am by no means in shape. And from what I can tell there are alot of musicians who aren't in shape either. I know organists who when they get on the organ, thier stomach is touching the organ.

About a year and a half ago God had elevated me to play at a pretty big church. But with this elevation, I was required to be at the church 5 days out of the week, for rehearsals, which could last for hours, and other things that go on. So between work and church, my eating habits got horrible. Going to fast food places on my way to rehearsal and then right back after rehearsals and not to mention the dinners that would be cooked when we had to sing at other churches.

Between work and the church there was no time for the gym, or excercising or trying to eat right. And after talking to a few of my musician friends they feel the same way. For most musicians, music is life, So a majority of our time is spent doing something music related, so we don't think about that stuff. I was gaining weight and didin't even notice until my Pastor preached "being healthy" to us.

I'm not trying to be funny, I just wanted to share that, because I know I'm not the only one who gets so caught up in music that when I get hungry, theres only time for a $1 Double cheeseburger, then its off to play. I think we really got to get a hold on this because I want to be here to see my kids play (when I have them), and thier kids play for a long time to come!
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline MissRiss

• LGM Member

Re: Health Topic....... Why are so many Musicians overweight???
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »
Most Americans are out of shape. It's just a matter of picking foods off a menu that have fewer fat or  fewer calories. It's hard with fast food unless you get a salad everytime. You can get a burger but you don't have to get the fries. Also foods like nuts, veggies, fruits, and cheese..curb your appetite. Once you eat those foods routinely, your body won't crave the carbs/sugar.

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 04:22:42 PM »
Very true, most Americans are out of shape, but it just seems like an overwhelming number of musicians are way out of shape. And the fact that our schedules are the way it is, I think that contributes to it.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 05:18:40 PM »
Ay, I don't know about the out of shape deal, but I know that I look good, lol!!!
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline ~aLl_Gr0wN_uP~

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 06:21:13 PM »
Over-weight??? Prolly cause we think Fellowship and chicken wangs are synonomous...

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:30:22 PM »
Ay, I don't know about the out of shape deal, but I know that I look good,lol!!!

Prove it!  ;) ;D ;D
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

Offline Hotsticks1

• LGM Member
  • Welcome to my world...
    • Myspace

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 08:03:20 PM »
There's a simply answer for this...FOOD IS GOOD!!!!!!!!

And you know especially being a musician, churches have no problem inviting us over and feeding us before service...lol
"If thine enemy wrong thee...Buy each of his children a drum"

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 09:00:48 PM »
Thanks for calling me fat.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 09:41:35 PM »
" There will be Chickennnn.. Downstairs after Church!" ;D
Richard

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 09:46:09 PM »
" There will be Chickennnn.. Downstairs after Church!" ;D

:D :D :D :D :D

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 09:52:35 PM »
Because churches keep paying us with chicken dinners instead of money...lol

Here comes Sis. Gillacutty with a full plate..."God bless you. We really 'preciate ya."
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 10:10:50 PM »

Here comes Sis. Gillacutty with a full plate..."God bless you. We really 'preciate ya."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

...here we go..... :-\  I'll take some "Lightly buttered, fat free pop corn."  lol
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »

:D :D

Offline mingusfingus

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 01:56:36 AM »
bah... I`m eating but not gaining weight. What I`m doing wrong? :) Every morning before practicing the drums I`m doing few excercises to keep myself in shape...

Offline earlk

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 02:25:08 AM »
 :) Its me oh Lord.....not my brother, not my sista, not the LGM board, but me standing in the need of weightloss  ;D  ;D  ;D

Guilty as charged. I have also now moved to a bigger church and we have 3 giant screens. So i looked up sunday evening and saw myself on the screen...and i nearly lost the beat... :D  :D  :D

Its true the lifestyle throws me off exercise and eating healthy....and all of that. My Dad has recently started telling me that even if we in church people are still people and will still say...wow the drummer is huge he should lose some weight....people talk.

Besides that we need to shape up our bodies/Gods temple. God is excellent and detailed and i believe that we need to be as close to that as possible. we are ambassadors for Christ so we need to ambassadize well

I see Big mike is slimming down. I met him a year or so ago and we took a pic together. he is way bigger than me. looking at him now i know i might just be bigger than him and all that gain in just one year....so i say its me oh lord. its me

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 02:27:18 AM »
Let me start by saying that I am by no means in shape. And from what I can tell there are alot of musicians who aren't in shape either. I know organists who when they get on the organ, thier stomach is touching the organ.

About a year and a half ago God had elevated me to play at a pretty big church. But with this elevation, I was required to be at the church 5 days out of the week, for rehearsals, which could last for hours, and other things that go on. So between work and church, my eating habits got horrible. Going to fast food places on my way to rehearsal and then right back after rehearsals and not to mention the dinners that would be cooked when we had to sing at other churches.

Between work and the church there was no time for the gym, or excercising or trying to eat right. And after talking to a few of my musician friends they feel the same way. For most musicians, music is life, So a majority of our time is spent doing something music related, so we don't think about that stuff. I was gaining weight and didin't even notice until my Pastor preached "being healthy" to us.

I'm not trying to be funny, I just wanted to share that, because I know I'm not the only one who gets so caught up in music that when I get hungry, theres only time for a $1 Double cheeseburger, then its off to play. I think we really got to get a hold on this because I want to be here to see my kids play (when I have them), and thier kids play for a long time to come!

Being a Diet Technician and a musician, I feel ya pain but there are ways around it.  You can start by waking up earlier and cooking your own meals to last you throughout the day.  While at work choose healthier items or snacks...the problem isn't the chicken that Mrs. Gillacutty brought...it's the amount of chicken you ate.  We as American or musicians...use the excuse that we don't have time in our schedule but we never attempt or try to make time.  I'll stop right here before I really get started.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline theLearner

• LGM Member
  • Play, don't play around

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 03:50:21 AM »
I think that it has to do with the church,

Yes, most ppl know that fast food and certain other foods bad (in excess),
but the church just doesn't preach the health message! I'm not talking about
just sermons from pulpits.
Sometimes we can take some of our efforts off music and try and get some
 programs goin in our own church.

My church has intramurals (between our church and other churches)
We have Health fairs once a year too. I'm sure there are
much more things that can be organized as well.

we can minister to our brothers and sisters by helping them
improve their quality of life.

Offline Vangie D

• LGM Member
  • zawmar drumsticks 'play.minister.groove.'
    • www.youtube.com/user/vangied

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 05:33:40 AM »
Over-weight??? Prolly cause we think Fellowship and chicken wangs are synonomous...

lol... they do feed as well...

hmm and all these years i thought they were just showing their appreciation!!! lol  ;D

Offline bishop424

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 07:53:02 AM »

yup church members do that all the time because they do not want to pay what you are worth and how much work that you have to put into your playing.

They preciate ya as a sign of escaping the money situation.

Well I got something for ya.

I am a musician and I know based on information that you can lose the weight and I have some information to give to the music fam.

1. Go to the Gym if you can because the weight is not going to remove itself. If you have light resistance weights at home and workout videos then you fine.

2. Your body has take the following: Fish Oil, Fiber, Fruits and veg.

3. When working out take you body weight and multiply it by 0.36 and it tell how protien you have to take

4. Set up goals and a training log to help lose the weight and meet you goal.

5. Take supplements but before I take anything I would check with my doctor first but if everything is ok then go for it.

6. Take a colon cleanse because in order to get rid bulid up waste you have to take a cleanse.

Now as far as the word "diet" Don't consider it as a diet. Consider it as a change in your life.

GOD Bless

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up