LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Health Topic....... Why are so many Musicians overweight???  (Read 7411 times)

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

Re: Health Topic....... Why are so many Musicians overweight???
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 09:26:56 AM »
yup church members do that all the time because they do not want to pay what you are worth and how much work that you have to put into your playing.

They preciate ya as a sign of escaping the money situation.

Well I got something for ya.

I am a musician and I know based on information that you can lose the weight and I have some information to give to the music fam.

1. Go to the Gym if you can because the weight is not going to remove itself. If you have light resistance weights at home and workout videos then you fine.

2. Your body has take the following: Fish Oil, Fiber, Fruits and veg.

3. When working out take you body weight and multiply it by 0.36 and it tell how protien you have to take

4. Set up goals and a training log to help lose the weight and meet you goal.

5. Take supplements but before I take anything I would check with my doctor first but if everything is ok then go for it.

6. Take a colon cleanse because in order to get rid bulid up waste you have to take a cleanse.

Now as far as the word "diet" Don't consider it as a diet. Consider it as a change in your life.

GOD Bless

I agree with 90% of what he said.  In our career field, we don't encourage supplements...most supplements state "if taken in conjunction with a good exercise program and good eating habits you'll notice results."  If you have a good exercise program and good eating habits, guess what, you'll see results.  When setting up goal, make them realistic...instead of I want to lose 30lbs by the summer, you could say i want to lose six pounds a month.  If you do the calculation it's pretty much the same thing but 6lbs in a month compared to 30lbs by the summer...six sounds a lot easier.  As far as protein, the .36 is supposed to be times your body weight in kilograms (i think.)  The formula is your body weight divided by 2.2 equals your weight in kg.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 09:54:13 AM »

Thread of the Week!!!!
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 09:59:09 AM »
Can't answer this one!!!  ;D

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 02:05:16 PM »
I have a double chin.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 02:20:26 PM »
...I'm currently eating a Triple Whopper with King Size Fries and a Medium Diet Coke.  I'm trying to watch my weight. ;)  j/k
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »
Did you have to mention a tripple whopper?

I'll be having that for lunch now.

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
Well, I am having a bowl of clam chowder and a hefe-weizen, and will most likely hit the gym later this afternoon to burn it off...
Not all musicians are overweight, just the ones who choose to be. Or it may be a genetic trait... :-\

Offline tammyid

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 2-21-09 Kirk Franklin & I after VA Tech concert
    • Play The Piano By Ear

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 03:06:13 PM »
bah... I`m eating but not gaining weight. What I`m doing wrong? :) Every morning before practicing the drums I`m doing few excercises to keep myself in shape...

Maybe you're getting too much exercise from playing the drums. lol! j/k!  ;D

I'm not a drummer but I think that the drums takes the most energy to play.  You're using your whole body, to play.  My fiancee, Jay, and I were watching an AWESOME service the other day on DVD.  Everyone was really getting in praise, esp. the drummer.  I told Jay that it looks ie it takes a lot of energy to play the drums.  I'm not sure if I have as much as that drummer. lol!

Why are so many musicians overweight?  I know diet and exercise are a reason.

I think one reason is a lot of us are sitting down and playing, while the rest of the congregation is standing up during worship and dancing.   I've noticed that I've gained some since I joined the worship team almost 1 1/2 yrs ago.  I noticed one reason is I'm not getting as much exercise b/c I'm sitting down playing and I don't get to dance, close my eyes, and raise my hands, in church anymore. :(

Peace! :)
Tammy

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 03:19:52 PM »
Maybe you're getting too much exercise from playing the drums. lol! j/k!  ;D

I'm not a drummer but I think that the drums takes the most energy to play.  You're using your whole body, to play.  My fiancee, Jay, and I were watching an AWESOME service the other day on DVD.  Everyone was really getting in praise, esp. the drummer.  I told Jay that it looks ie it takes a lot of energy to play the drums.  I'm not sure if I have as much as that drummer. lol!

Why are so many musicians overweight?  I know diet and exercise are a reason.

I think one reason is a lot of us are sitting down and playing, while the rest of the congregation is standing up during worship and dancing.   I've noticed that I've gained some since I joined the worship team almost 1 1/2 yrs ago.  I noticed one reason is I'm not getting as much exercise b/c I'm sitting down playing and I don't get to dance, close my eyes, and raise my hands, in church anymore. :(

Peace! :)
Tammy

I don't think that you lose fat by standing up and worshipping in church :-\. Just get of the couch and hit the gym or do some cardio...

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »
I don't think that you lose fat by standing up and worshipping in church :-\. Just get of the couch and hit the gym or do some cardio...

...or buy one of those Gospel Aerobics DVD's with Kirk Franklin and Yolanda Adams on it. LOL

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 08:18:40 PM »
I used to work at BK and I used to Smash on a Double Whopper (Large) Value Meal with a Whopper Jr. on the side EVERYDAY! I gained like 15 Pounds on that stuff. >:(  Im at 225 Now but im 6'4. Im working it off now. :(
Ay Funky nice touch adding the Diet Coke with that meal. ;D :D :D :D

Me: Ill take a Heart Attack, A medium Artery Clog, and a Lard Shake to go please

Employee: For an Extra Buck you can have a Triple Bi Pass with that Sir?

Me: Naah, Im trying to watch my weight!
Richard

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 08:31:31 PM »
I used to work at BK and I used to Smash on a Double Whopper (Large) Value Meal with a Whopper Jr. on the side EVERYDAY! I gained like 15 Pounds on that stuff. >:(  Im at 225 Now but im 6'4. Im working it off now. :(
Ay Funky nice touch adding the Diet Coke with that meal. ;D :D :D :D

Me: Ill take a Heart Attack, A medium Artery Clog, and a Lard Shake to go please

Employee: For an Extra Buck you can have a Triple Bi Pass with that Sir?

Me: Naah, Im trying to watch my weight!

LOL!!! My biology teacher do that, he orders about 15 burgers then at the end..................

get a diet coke :-\

Offline StraightPockett

• LGM Member
  • GO CARDS!

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 09:19:37 PM »
Really simple....We overeat. Plus we eat the wrong things....LAY OFF OF THE FASTFOOD...to those of u that say's it's not that easy...If I can do it, you can also. GET A BAG OF FROZEN CHICKEN BREAST AND COOK THOSE FOR THE WEEK. As of around 1-4-08, i don't eat fastfoods, AT ALL. I try to go to the gym at least three times a week and do cardio work. I'm 5'10, 300lbs, BUT WITH THAT, I also play semi-pro football...if not for that, I would get down to a lower weight...If you want to see ur kids and family, you have to take better care of ur bodies.
Life is Good!

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 11:18:21 PM »
Really simple....We overeat. Plus we eat the wrong things....LAY OFF OF THE FASTFOOD...to those of u that say's it's not that easy...If I can do it, you can also. GET A BAG OF FROZEN CHICKEN BREAST AND COOK THOSE FOR THE WEEK. As of around 1-4-08, i don't eat fastfoods, AT ALL. I try to go to the gym at least three times a week and do cardio work. I'm 5'10, 300lbs, BUT WITH THAT, I also play semi-pro football...if not for that, I would get down to a lower weight...If you want to see ur kids and family, you have to take better care of ur bodies.

semi pro thats hot dude i wanted to do that man. im about to graduate high school so that sounded cool to me!

I think most musicians are on the heavier side because we worry more about are craft than our health...

Offline bishop424

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 09:25:39 AM »

I think most musicians are on the heavier side because we worry more about are craft than our health...
[/quote]

For some that may be true but they are some might have personal issues that they have to fix or figure out.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 11:04:22 AM »
This is a really cool thread. It seems like everywhere I go, people are feeling the "get in shape" pinch. At my job, at least half of the employees have started health plans. I'm looking into joining my local gym and getting a personal trainer. Everyone's saying "do it for the kids." I am a big kid, and if I can't keep up with my little ones when they get here I think I'll be more upset about it than they would. Fast Food is the down fall of society. People are so busy now that home cooked meals are becoming extinct. Anyway, no one forces the food down our throat, which means it's ultimately our choice. Let's get on our health grind.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

littlelamb

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »
I think black people in general are overweight. BUT at church it's worse because we feel that eating is the one vice that we have that isn't really a sin. As a people we've eaten our woes away over the years, especially during slavery. I think the difference then was that although we were eating hamhocks and pickle meat and food sitting in grease and gravy with bread and that pot liquor we were also in the fields working our tails off. But not, we eat and sit down.

I've just lost almost 20 pounds and I didn't realize how big I had gotten. I also didn't realize how poorly I ate until I stopped. The biggest thing to remember is there's like 20 different things you can do to lose weight, not just diet and exercise. A diet is for life.

What helped me is:

1. It's what you do 90% of the time that makes the difference.
2. There's a difference between trying to lose weight and trying to keep it off. In the first you do whatever you have to do and in the second you just maintain.
3. Don't eat seconds.
4. Eat smaller portions.
5. Eat snacks. Don't save up, you'll eat more that way.
6. Eat fruits and vegetables big time
7. Exercise more often for less time or less often for more time.
8. Don't go around telling everybody you're on a "diet". They'll be waiting for you to fail unfortunately. Just let people see the change take place.
9. Don't eat fast foods which means you'll have to plan ahead. Don't run out of food. Make sure you have groceries or else you'll go out ot eat.
10. Get that one safe food item that you can eat anywhere. Like a salad.
11. Reward yourself in other ways. Not with food.
12. Replace the things you loved with other things. If you take away all dessert you're going to miss it. Replace it with a non-fat smoothie or something. Or give yourself one treat every two weeks. If you're really a sweets junkie you mat not be able to handle that. Only you know.
13. DRINK WATER. After you've been drinking only water for a while when you do try to drink a soft drink it'll curl your lips anyway.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »
I drank water.

I R HELFMAN!!1!

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 04:28:10 PM »
Sadly, I have man boobs.  :-[

:-*

Offline ~aLl_Gr0wN_uP~

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 05:42:11 PM »
Sadly, I have man boobs.  :-[

:-*

What do that look like?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up