LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *Advice needed for Beginner*  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Student21

• LGM Member

*Advice needed for Beginner*
« on: March 04, 2008, 04:21:08 PM »
I'm a beginning musician and have been playing the drums since I was a lil' kid.
I am now making the transition to learn other instruments as well as theory,etc.
I am in a dilemma... on one hand I want to purchase a laptop; on the other, I want to purchase a Behringer BT108BPK Bass Package(4 str.) for $179.99 at Big Dudes Music City here in Kansas City, MO. Should I go for the bass(cause I really want it)?

Also, when and if I get it,what would be a good source for me to learn and develop into a fingerstyle bassist?

Thanks,

Laurence Williams II

P.S. If you have any more helpful advice/info, please feel free to e-mail me at:
ldw2_85@yahoo.com

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

Re: *Advice needed for Beginner*
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:34:38 PM »
Bass Guitar for Dummies, I recommend it to everyone who asks.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 08:30:55 AM »
I'm a beginning musician and have been playing the drums since I was a lil' kid.
I am now making the transition to learn other instruments as well as theory,etc.
I am in a dilemma... on one hand I want to purchase a laptop; on the other, I want to purchase a Behringer BT108BPK Bass Package(4 str.) for $179.99 at Big Dudes Music City here in Kansas City, MO. Should I go for the bass(cause I really want it)?

Also, when and if I get it,what would be a good source for me to learn and develop into a fingerstyle bassist?

Thanks,

Laurence Williams II

P.S. If you have any more helpful advice/info, please feel free to e-mail me at:
ldw2_85@yahoo.com

I checked your profile and see that you live in the KC area.  Then I went to craigslist to see what used instruments are available in your area.

I would recommend that you consider paying $100 for the used OLP bass in this craigslist ad

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/595708448.html

Then take the other $80 and pick up a used Korg Pandora PX4D headphone amp with built in metronome, drum tracks, and tuner and practice that way.  A 15W amp will be useful for a very short time.  It is only a solo practice amp (won't perform well in a group practice environment).  You will want to progress to a 50W or 100W practice amp for any group practices and the 15W will become an unsaleable boat anchor.

Until you are absolutely sure what you want in an instrument, I'd strongly suggest buying used because....

• You can get more bang for your buck
  • The instrument has already depreciated to what is market value
  • If you find you absolutely HATE IT, or you later want to upgrade to better equipment, you can sell it for at or near what you paid for it

My 2 cents as LGM's resident bass gear junkie

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »
Until you are absolutely sure what you want in an instrument, I'd strongly suggest buying used because....

• If you find you absolutely HATE IT, or you later want to upgrade to better equipment, you can sell it for at or near what you paid for it

Peace,

James

Yea, that's real nice, buddy!!  Where were you when I needed you??  I'm stuck with stuff I can't get rid of right now...

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 09:25:20 AM »

Peace,

James
+1

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:29:05 AM »
Yea, that's real nice, buddy!!  Where were you when I needed you?? .........

Waitin' for your fire-sale  ;)

Just kiddin'!!!

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline vgray

• LGM Member
  • always get your praise on!!!!24-7

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »
active bass .com
and i agree with my bro bass for beginers ;D active bass .com start at begining lessons ,pray and practice
bro gray
denver colorado

Offline Student21

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 05:00:14 PM »
Uh oh... I wish I would've saw this post a week ago. I already bought the guitar pack. That amp sounded real cool although I had a metronome (I still need a guitar tuner though I can tune by ear w/ a piano or keyboard). There's already a HUGE amp at our church so all I really needed was a practice amp. Ummm.... I've been slowly practicing my fingering for both hands. For my left hand, I've only been learning the fretboard going down. Once I know all the notes and can play them precisely on command going down the fretboard, then I'll learn it going across the fretboard. Or should I learn it going across the fretboard first? I'd like some suggestions. Thanks.

Laurence

Offline Musicman_00

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Don't think! Feel!"-Bruce Lee

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 09:43:40 AM »
I'm in KC too bro. hit me up and I'll help where I can.
"Music is a language. The bigger your vocabulary, the more options you have to choose from."

Offline Student21

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 03:32:11 PM »
I'm in KC too bro. hit me up and I'll help where I can.

Okay. What's your name bro/sis? I'm Laurence. Nice to meet you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up