LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need someone to score some music for me  (Read 2136 times)

Offline abbott35

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I need someone to score some music for me
« on: March 05, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »
Does anyone know anyone that scores music into sheet music
Timothy Abbott

littlelamb

Re: I need someone to score some music for me
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 12:04:58 PM »
You mean a music copyist? I do that. What project are you working on?

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:25:13 PM »
You mean a music copyist? I do that. What project are you working on?

Are you some kinda musical genous?

littlelamb

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 01:18:34 PM »

I thought you knew, baby.

No, but seriously, no genius here. I just compose music and I know Finale really well.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 02:05:33 PM »

Dude, it ain't rocekt science if you familiar with sheet music.  All you doing is translating what's being played.  Anybody took classes on composing sheet music can do that.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 02:06:26 PM »
?/?

Offline SoundofJoy

• LGM Member
  • Play it again Sam
    • Sam's Gospel Music Course

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »
eh hem.....I do that too  ;D
www.samsmuzikco.com/pdf/psalm95.pdf

I love music, any kind of music.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »
Dude, it ain't rocekt science if you familiar with sheet music.  All you doing is translating what's being played.  Anybody took classes on composing sheet music can do that.

Yeah we got computers now. But I've known people who could do it without a computer or piano. I think thats close enough to genous level.

littlelamb

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 04:19:02 PM »
It's not rocket science but you can still tell the difference between a good composer and a not so good one. Doing it right is a skill. Finale and Sibelius are not for composing music. There is no computer program that can compose music. You have to compose it first and then enter it into one of those programs for notation.

If someone writes a score with parts and it's in their head it doesn't mean anything until they put it on paper and give it to the musicians who are playing it or teach it to them. You could teach it to each person for gospel or pop or funk because it's probably only one line but you couldn't manually teach a whole orchestra their parts one by one and even if you did they wouldn't remember it after. You have to stay away from voice-crossing, parallel motion like parallel fifths (unless intended), the instruments have to be in the right range and they have to go well together and they have to be transposed correctly. Your composition has to be put together well.

Not to toot my own horn but I have 2 degrees in composition. It's not for the faint of heart. 1) Majoring in music is a lot harder than people think and 2) Composing is a lot harder than people think. The more instruments the more to think about. That's why good composers are often also piano players. They can think on a grand scale.

Offline SoundofJoy

• LGM Member
  • Play it again Sam

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 07:35:25 AM »
I had the advantage of learning music in a high school jazz band(french horn/mellophone). Being surrounded by trumpets, saxes, tubas, clarinets, flutes, oboes gave me the appreiciation of all the sounds from several instruments. When you hear me play you'll hear all the instruments and movements I imagine in my head. I run out of fingers sometimes LOL. I composed a African piece (I wish I can find the file) 10 years ago in one night. If I find a cassette (yeah thats right) of it I'll convert to MP3 and post on the site.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »

You're serious with this? :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 08:01:46 AM »
You're serious with this? :-\

Well maybe if LGM had a spell check.....

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 01:08:30 PM »
Well maybe if LGM had a spell check.....

Well maybe if under13 had spelled better.....
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 03:15:44 PM »
So how can I be a composer without going to college for it ?/?
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »
So how can I be a composer without going to college for it ?/?

Go online and find a website on how to write out sheet music, instrument parts, etc.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline SoundofJoy

• LGM Member
  • Play it again Sam

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »
Ok, I found a copy of my first original composition. I was asked by a a good friend who has his own dance company for an emergency favor. He had composed a dance routine using the music from the "Lion King" at Brooklyn Academy of Music Auditorium. He had not secured premission to use the music from the Lion King(after he created the dance, purchased costumes and rehearsed with 8 dancers) This was Saturday before the performance. He called me and said " Sam, I have a problem...." Now, mind you I've never heard the music from the Lion King and luckly my god son's mother had a VHS tape(yeah I'm that old). I had to re-create a piece of music that match the theme and same timings of the music in the Lion King but it couldn't sound like the Lion King.

Ok, I'm a gospel musican so........why ask me? Well, I've been know to do the impossible when put to the test. As fate would have it I had and old Yamaha keyboard that had sounds of birds, lions, girraffe and monkeys on it ( go figure ). I have a background in orchestral music as a frecnh horn player. So I listened to the Lion King song and came up with this piece on Sunday night before his performance:

Sound of Africa © 1996 Sam Tolbert
www.Samsmuzikco.com/audio/soundofafrica.mp3

He has been using this piece since 1996 in his performances. All praise to God because I don't know if I could ever pull this off again :)
To answer a question I've never been to composing school but I'm a good listener to good music.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »
It's not rocket science but you can still tell the difference between a good composer and a not so good one. Doing it right is a skill. Finale and Sibelius are not for composing music. There is no computer program that can compose music. You have to compose it first and then enter it into one of those programs for notation.

If someone writes a score with parts and it's in their head it doesn't mean anything until they put it on paper and give it to the musicians who are playing it or teach it to them. You could teach it to each person for gospel or pop or funk because it's probably only one line but you couldn't manually teach a whole orchestra their parts one by one and even if you did they wouldn't remember it after. You have to stay away from voice-crossing, parallel motion like parallel fifths (unless intended), the instruments have to be in the right range and they have to go well together and they have to be transposed correctly. Your composition has to be put together well.

Not to toot my own horn but I have 2 degrees in composition. It's not for the faint of heart. 1) Majoring in music is a lot harder than people think and 2) Composing is a lot harder than people think. The more instruments the more to think about. That's why good composers are often also piano players. They can think on a grand scale.

That stuff is difficult and time consuming. kudos to you

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 05:05:26 PM »
Go online and find a website on how to write out sheet music, instrument parts, etc.

Thanks T-Block :)

Mr Tolbert, which planet are you from ?/? U'r 1 of a kind..that was Wow!! :o 8)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up