LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CHRIS "DADDY" DAVE MP3 AND TRANSCRIPTION!!!!!  (Read 32466 times)

Offline MENDOZA

• LGM Member
  • Some of the best playing that I've ever heard!
    • www.myspace.com/juancarlosmendoza

CHRIS "DADDY" DAVE MP3 AND TRANSCRIPTION!!!!!
« on: March 09, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »
Ok my LGM FAMILY!!!!!!!  As promised in January I have been working on transcribing some Chris Dave stuff not only for my pleasure, but to educate and reveal some of the mystery of Chris.  Notice I said some. LOL!!! ;D ;D  As we all know Chris is crazy and a musical genious (IMHO). I learned about this cat from this forum and thank cats like Div. who put him out there for us to discover.  Thanks Div.

Anyway, here is the MP3 (which I'm pretty sure I got from LGM).  The MP3 is from a performance with Derrick Hodge, Robert Glasper, the crew pretty much.  So you can hear people talking, ooohh, ahhsss, etc.  So it's an underground recording.  The recording as you will see has TONS of information for you to check out, but I wanted to bring your attention to a phrase that is the theme of the piece and reveal to you how Chris displaces the theme to make it sound like 4/4 back beat groove.  It's pretty insane.  So the theme is in measure 21.  We are in 3/4, but the phrasing is a 5/16 rhythm that is super imposed in the 3/4.  Chris presents the theme by playing the quarter note on the Stack cymbal he has.  Then he plays the 5/16 rhythm on the bass drum. 

*side note the beginning of the transcription starts at the 7:12 mark of the recording.  I thought it was a cool groove that needed to be presented.*

Ok continuing, later on at the 8:02 mark Chris does a serious and reiterate SERIOUS groove with TONS of ghost notes!!  So before attempting this stuff make sure you know how to play ghost notes and know how to execute a pull out accent.  Also be aware of Chris's left foot.  He has ALOT of subtle yet important hi hat openings.  You have to pay close attention to the recording to really hear these nuances.  Also listen to the textures that are going on.  Remember, just because something is notated doesn't mean that it's "played" that way.  You as an artist have to make it groove, make all the nuances stick out. The transcription is the map.  You are the driver, so you are in control of what direction you want to take it. 

Finally the 8:23 mark is why I started transcribing the piece.  Chris's  displacement of the the theme is crazy!!!  This is just one example of how brilliant he is.  I'm going to continue to transcribe some more of this recording because there's soooo much great material in this track that I NEED to continue to pursue how these great musicians think.  So give me a few weeks for a little bit more.  I hope you enjoy it and continue to explore for yourself how great music is.  Take care and God Bless. 

Carlito
www.myspace.com/juancarlosmendoza
www.youtube.com/jmensticks

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2i0y8x  (the mp3)  This mp3 might expire, so if someone can post it up again that would be great!!! 
http://www.sendspace.com/file/sktqyd  (here's the PDF file).  Can someone post the image on the forum before it expires?  I don't want people to be left out because it expired.  Thanks!!!

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

Re: CHRIS "DADDY" DAVE MP3 AND TRANSCRIPTION!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:45:32 PM »

Your welcome.

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »
Thanks for this wealth of info!! I knew exactly which song you were talking about just by the discription. This is hours worth of fun right here! LOL!!
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 09:52:21 PM »

Your welcome.

Oh my lawd Jesus.....

Offline b_jizzle20

• LGM Member
    • MY MUSIC

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 10:47:07 PM »
...Well, there goes my March Break...

Emotions:
 :( :) >:( ;D :D :-\ :o ;D :) 8)

LOL

Thanks a lot man!! :) 8)

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 10:53:41 PM »
This transcription is a the perfect example for why they're called "The Experiment". I think Chris has a touch of A.D.D...

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 12:30:32 AM »
Standing ovation from me JC.  I know how much work goes into transcription.  Thats bananas.

Wonderful share.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline WithLuvKay

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 01:46:24 AM »
Wow,Thanks for the Transcription.

Offline MENDOZA

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 07:07:30 AM »
Standing ovation from me JC.  I know how much work goes into transcription.  Thats bananas.

Wonderful share.

Yo Juse!!!!!!!!  You ain't lying LOL!!!  It takes ALOT of work, but it's all good man.  I love figuring stuff out like that though.  Chris is just nasty! I just wanted to bring something different to the forum, since lately it's kind of been a little shady.   :-\ :-\ :-\  Well those who are willing to tackle it, I commend you and I wish you luck on your journey.  Thanks for the love LGM.  Take care and God Bless.

Carlito

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 07:40:59 AM »
...you're out of control. LOL  I think you're to first to do this.  Even Chris Dave would say that you're crazy for transcribing that stuff. LOL 

...keep teaching man.  I can't wait till you get down here bro'.
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline DetroitB3

• LGM Member
  • Playing in the key of life
    • http://

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 09:30:38 AM »
Great work , man! I know how tedious that can be!

Offline MENDOZA

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 11:00:17 AM »
Great work , man! I know how tedious that can be!
[/b]

Dude what's tedious is putting the manuscripted transcription on Sibelius LOL!!  I know how to work the program really well, but the ghost notes is what is time consuming!!!   >:( >:( >:( ;D ;D ;D  However, it's all good because once it's done I can put it on a PDF, share it with everyone and print a nice clean version of it. 

Doza
www.myspace.com/juancarlosmendoza
www.youtube.com/jmensticks

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Wow man good work!  Ive read through it in bits and pieces...sounds good to me main!  I hav'nt heard the mp3 yet but dang dude!   :o  You are the man!  I know you put alot of work into this.  I appreciate your talent and dedication to this part of the craft.  You add sick flavor to the board doc!  Thanks...this is sick!  I've been inspired by you again papa!  Holla atcha boi!   :)

E.R.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 12:26:12 PM »
I think the Word of this topic is WOW!  :o

Incredible work Doza!

May God keep Blessing ya, so you can keep on sharing.

Offline Diogo Alexandre

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 04:14:58 PM »

Carlito, These link are not aviable anymore. Can you post at least mp3 again?
 Thank you

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2i0y8x  (the mp3)  This mp3 might expire, so if someone can post it up again that would be great!!! 
http://www.sendspace.com/file/sktqyd  (here's the PDF file).  Can someone post the image on the forum before it expires?  I don't want people to be left out because it

Offline MENDOZA

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 08:39:16 AM »
Carlito, These link are not aviable anymore. Can you post at least mp3 again?
 Thank you

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sktqyd  (here's the PDF file).  Can someone post the image on the forum before it expires?  I don't want people to be left out because it

I actually revised the whole document, cleaned it up, and fixed some inaccuracies.  I will actually be selling the final document on my website, with the MP3, and a play along that you can practice with!!   ;D  Super stoked about it!  It will be available at www.carlitomendoza.com Have an awesome day!!

Carlito
www.carlitomendoza.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up