LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question..... How do you teach someone coordination on the drums?  (Read 5140 times)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

ok, I was asked to give somebody lessons to a boy about 12 years old. I put him on the set just to see where he was at. And he has no coordination. 

Since I was a toddler, I remember having coordination. I may have had no clue about timing, or technique, but I at least knew how to keep that basic beat on the hats,snare and kick. I've even seen other little kids who wanted to learn be able to at least play that basic beat. This is something I don't know how to teach being that it came naturally to me.

So I figured I'd let him do rudiments. He knows how to do that. But when it comes to using his foot and the hi hats, he gets lost. What should I do? Or am I just waisting my time?
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline StraightPockett

• LGM Member
  • GO CARDS!

Re: Question..... How do you teach someone coordination on the drums?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »
Coordination is not something you teach, it's something that's natural. Almost like dancing, some got it, some don't.
Life is Good!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 01:17:45 PM »
I think it is something that comes from practice. I'm an Organist, not A drummer. We have to use  ten fingers, 2 feet and we gotta sing.

Before, I couldnt play different things in the left and right hand togather nor sing whle I play, but now I can.

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 02:21:40 PM »
I think it is something that comes from practice. I'm an Organist, not A drummer. We have to use  ten fingers, 2 feet and we gotta sing.

Before, I couldnt play different things in the left and right hand togather nor sing whle I play, but now I can.

Hmmmm, this is interesting. But did somebody teach you how to develope your hands to the point where you were doing different things with them? Or did that just come naturally with pratice? The foundation for any instrument is having that coordination. If that is not there, I don't even think you can start.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 02:25:23 PM »
What's hard about teaching him the actual "basic" beat?

"Yeah, that's right count in four... Your foot hits on the 1 & 3 and your snare hand hits on the 2 & 4... Your hihat hand does the counting for you so it hits 1, 2, 3, 4..."

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 02:53:48 PM »
fretai, it sounds real easy! But I'm telling you he's not picking up the coordination to do that. He holds it down for a good 2 seconds, and then he would lose track.

That's why I wanted to know if there something I should tell him to work on. Because if it is going to take a long time just to get that down, then he'll never learn anything.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't teach him anything else. Just stick to the same lesson for as long as it takes until he gets it.

For some its natural, for others its earned. The end result is still the same.

Offline shall176

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.angiehallmusic.com
    • AngieHallMusic

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 04:25:23 PM »
You start small and work up.  You started him on rudiments.  Also have him work on a lot of alternating and unison patterns.  When he has that have him take those same patterns and establish a riding pattern and a back beat.  WHen that is done, mix in the foot on the meter.  You may want to take the foor patterns from syncopation, as that is progressive.  But do it in increments.  Its the same with intermediate players.  Lets say you work on a Samba.  First you work on the bass drum and hi hat pattern....then you work with a page of snare rythms over a simple riding pattern, after that you go to a more complex riding pattern and do that same page of snare patterns all over again with the new riding pattern. etc etc etc
Check it out...
http://www.angiehallmusic.com
& follow @angiehallmusic  on twitter

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 08:41:57 AM »
I don't think I have to the time to teach all the way from the bottom. It takes real teachers to do this, so I might have to put a hault to it. Thanks for the help fellas.

E.R.

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 09:37:36 AM »
I dont mean to sound mean, but if you don't have the time / patience to teach him, why are trying to teach him? I think you would be causing more harm than good.

Take a poll. Ask the drummers of the room how many could play the basic 4/4 beat CONSISTENTLY the very FIRST time they sat behind the kit.

I for one couldn't.

I couldn't play a scale on a trumpet the FIRST time I picked it up.

That's why God gives us teachers.

Did you know your ABC's before you learned how to talk? Nope. A teacher taught you that.

If he has the passion and or the desire to learn the drums, and if someone is willing to teach him, He will grow.

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 10:28:31 AM »
I dont mean to sound mean, but if you don't have the time / patience to teach him, why are trying to teach him? I think you would be causing more harm than good.

Take a poll. Ask the drummers of the room how many could play the basic 4/4 beat CONSISTENTLY the very FIRST time they sat behind the kit.

I for one couldn't.

I couldn't play a scale on a trumpet the FIRST time I picked it up.

That's why God gives us teachers.

Did you know your ABC's before you learned how to talk? Nope. A teacher taught you that.

If he has the passion and or the desire to learn the drums, and if someone is willing to teach him, He will grow.

Very interesting stuff you had to say ER. But for starters I mentioned that he would need a true teacher. I'm not a TRUE teacher. Everybody is not called to teach. Just like everybody who can sing, and sing very well, cant show others thier skills. This is why so many gospel groups fall apart because people think just because they have the ability to sing well, they can start thier own group. But thats a whole different story.

When I asked did he have the coordination and the basics down packed beforehand, he told me "yes". Well he obviously lied to me. There are drummers who are gifted enough to teach from the clean slate, and I am just not one of them.

When I was 5, I had drum lessons. And I don't know how that man put up with me because I didn't want to play counts, I want to do the rolls and stuff, and I was giving him a hard time. But because he had that "teacher mentality" in him, he put up with me, and got me started on the right path.

So its not that I don't want to impart something into somebody's life, its just that I don't have that ability to successfully impart meaningful lessons in to him.

E.R.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 11:15:25 AM »
Very interesting stuff you had to say ER. But for starters I mentioned that he would need a true teacher. I'm not a TRUE teacher. Everybody is not called to teach. Just like everybody who can sing, and sing very well, cant show others thier skills. This is why so many gospel groups fall apart because people think just because they have the ability to sing well, they can start thier own group. But thats a whole different story.

When I asked did he have the coordination and the basics down packed beforehand, he told me "yes". Well he obviously lied to me. There are drummers who are gifted enough to teach from the clean slate, and I am just not one of them.

When I was 5, I had drum lessons. And I don't know how that man put up with me because I didn't want to play counts, I want to do the rolls and stuff, and I was giving him a hard time. But because he had that "teacher mentality" in him, he put up with me, and got me started on the right path.

So its not that I don't want to impart something into somebody's life, its just that I don't have that ability to successfully impart meaningful lessons in to him.

You said it right there brother. There is your answer. He needs help in finding someone that can teach him the beginning, from there, I am sure you can help him grow.

God Bless You for trying to help a young one!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 09:51:13 PM »
Coordination is not something you teach, it's something that's natural. Almost like dancing, some got it, some don't.

I have to correct you... coordination is a teachable/learnable skill.

The way you teach is by teaching each limb to play in time. Gradually adding one limb at a time to the mix until all 4 limbs and the vocals (you should be able to count aloud or sing the parts or counter parts) are coordinated in 4-way independence and 4-way interdependence.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline eugenio

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 07:36:45 PM »
I'm with Sabe. Get him to play bass/hi hat together for a while. Then snare/hi hat together for a while. Then put them together. Try to avoid him flaming. And if he isn't already just get him to listen to a lot of music.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 08:12:43 PM »

What you just stated actually are the makings for you to be a really good mentor to him and in the future a good teacher if you so choose, IMHO. You care that he learns the right stuff right way... addressing the fundamental needs first in order to serve up the desires of the heart. The fact that you can remember when you were an unruley student keeps you grounded.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline robin of drummin

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »
i totally agree with shall176 the basics are the basic no one turns pro over night unless your name is tony royter jr. but thats another story, like mentioned before as a teacher my self proper stick holding, rudiments, proper leg exercises are all the basics to any level of drumming.
Pages: [1]   Go Up