LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: playing by the bassline  (Read 2651 times)

Offline jjjoe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

playing by the bassline
« on: March 13, 2008, 05:43:32 PM »
I have some people say that they don't understand how to play by the bassline. well lets take a look at bassline. Bassline is a melody play at the lower end of the piano because you play your chords in the middle C area and you play your runs or melody at the high end of the piano. The bassline and melody go hand and hand because they both need each other. Its like koolaid the bassline is the water and the koolaid package is the melody. Well to explain more about bassline: how to hear it. well to hear the bassline on CD, Radio, Ipod, Mp3,..... you try to hear the bass gutair and follow it. I would do is write the bass note in a notebook. and to hear the melody either try hearing the lead gutair or strings or mainly hear the piano sound because likely it is usually a keyboard playing those type of sound. a tip write both bassline and melody with two different ink pen like bassline can be in red and the melody could be in blue. when you finish with hearing the bassline and melody, you try putting it together by your melody being your chords which is your right hand or sometimes it will be both hands or it might be tritones in your left hand but practice make perfect.
hope this help someone. the person who stand the storm will last in the end.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

Re: playing by the bassline
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:42:54 PM »
nice post jjjoe, maybe this should go to the stickies  ?/? coz I've come across this question far too many times.

Keep up the good work mr Koolaid ;)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline jjjoe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 08:08:04 PM »
Thanks I will later give chords so yall can try to use with your music later.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »
nice post jjjoe, maybe this should go to the stickies  ?/? coz I've come across this question far too many times.

Keep up the good work mr Koolaid ;)

that KOOLAID was so tiny you wouldn't have noticed.. :D

Can't wait for those cool chords from you 8)

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 06:41:54 PM »
I can hardly wait either

My next order of business would be to learn some more "musalogy"
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 09:00:55 AM »
I can hardly wait either

My next order of business would be to learn some more "musalogy"

:D :D :D :DThere goes Vonne again :D :P

I'm sure you've already covered Musalogy 101 up to 750...

You just have to complete the 1001 series & U'r a master ;)

ps:

What did you do to G/Girl ?/? I miss her..please don't tell me you.. ?/?  :o

Offline apostle5

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 12:38:33 AM »
I need more help on this bassline stuff. I am so use to playing the melody with my right hand and chords with my left, it seems impossible to switch! I tried to play bass with the left and chords with my right hand and my left hand didnt know how to move! :(

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
I need more help on this bassline stuff. I am so use to playing the melody with my right hand and chords with my left, it seems impossible to switch! I tried to play bass with the left and chords with my right hand and my left hand didnt know how to move! :(

I don't think he is talking about playing what the bass is playing or playing like a bass player on your LH. I think he means, in order to get the progression of the song, follow the bass-line. More often than not the bass-line gives an indication of what the basic underlying progression is. I do this all the time, i just listen to what the bass player is doing and follow along. THEN i play the chords associated with that bass note and i have the basic structure of the song down.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline apostle5

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
I don't think he is talking about playing what the bass is playing or playing like a bass player on your LH. I think he means, in order to get the progression of the song, follow the bass-line. More often than not the bass-line gives an indication of what the basic underlying progression is. I do this all the time, i just listen to what the bass player is doing and follow along. THEN i play the chords associated with that bass note and i have the basic structure of the song down.

I dont fully understand what you mean about getting the progression of a song follow the bass-line. Could you explain it more to me please?

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »
I dont fully understand what you mean about getting the progression of a song follow the bass-line. Could you explain it more to me please?

Hmm, ok can i ask if you know what a progression is? If you do, then i ca explain what i meant.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline apostle5

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 12:07:59 PM »
Progression....that is one thing I keep forgetting the definition to. I got so many notes of things here Im loosing myself!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »
Progression....that is one thing I keep forgetting the definition to. I got so many notes of things here Im loosing myself!

A progression is the PATTERN in which chords or a song follows/ is arranged in.

For instance, if you play the chords in the major scale of, say, C, & you play them one after the other, then that qualifies to be called a progression.

Whether you played C-->F--->G--->D-->C   or C->B->A , if it is more than 1 chord, it is a progression.

Offline apostle5

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 06:06:55 PM »
So, then basically you are saying that a progression is just more than one chord being played in a song?

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 06:41:39 PM »
So, then basically you are saying that a progression is just more than one chord being played in a song?

yes ;)

Offline apostle5

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 07:31:23 PM »
Gotcha, Thanks! ;)

Offline jjjoe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 09:36:45 PM »
A progression is basically what musallio said it is a pattern in music in which you use in songs. it consists of the scale mostly the major scale ;however, it also in other scales. now don't be confused what I am about to tell you but when playing the progression of the scale the progression consists 7 main degrees of the scale for example

in C Major

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

C is 1
D is 2
E is 3
F is 4
G is 5
A is 6
B is 7

now there are some sub degree numbers such as in the key of C major

Db which is #1 or a flat 2
Eb which is #2 or a flat 3
Gb which is #4 or a flat 5
Ab which is #5 or a flat 6
Bb which is #6 or a flat 7

Now a progression is the same as the number system like 5-1-4 which is G-C-F  7-3-6 which is B-E-A and 2-1-6 which is D-C-A you are basically using the number system to play music. now mainly you use the scale degree of the major scale for the progression; however, music is abstract and with the progression instead of playing a major offf the 5 you might play a minor off the 5 or you might play 3 chord with a 5 bass, but that is another lesson. With playing by the bassline you use the number system to fill in the chord you hear on the bass gutair like familar patterns of the 7-3-6 or 7-1-4 it depends what you hear on the bass. With hearing the bassline you can establish a foundation for a song.

Hope this helps

Offline apostle5

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 08:55:44 PM »
thanks jjjoe. Keep the lessons coming. ;D

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 08:10:12 AM »
thanks jjjoe. Keep the lessons coming. ;D

CO-SIGN ;D ;DAlways good to have more T-Bones here ;D

Offline Virtuenow

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 12:03:51 AM »

Hi Apostle.  The musical progression is very important.  You need to learn the basic progressions in order to build your musical arsenal.  The progressions is a fundamental basis to understanding theory.  Whenever we talk about theory, you will see that "progression" is a term that is used repeatedly as well as the numbering system that comes with it.  Please learn it so that you can take all of this stuff in :)!  I think I finally got it!  Here is the link:

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,42768.0.html

Click on the links that talk about progressions and the basic progression practice routines.  Of course you should probably get all the other stuff down first.  This link lists all the things that you need to learn in sequential order.  So that you should get your scales and chords/fingering down first.  I know people skip steps but going through each step will give you the fundamentals to take to progression learning.  Here's for theory!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 10:02:50 AM »
Hi Apostle.  The musical progression is very important.  You need to learn the basic progressions in order to build your musical arsenal.  The progressions is a fundamental basis to understanding theory.  Whenever we talk about theory, you will see that "progression" is a term that is used repeatedly as well as the numbering system that comes with it.  Please learn it so that you can take all of this stuff in :)!  I think I finally got it!  Here is the link:

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,42768.0.html

Click on the links that talk about progressions and the basic progression practice routines.  Of course you should probably get all the other stuff down first.  This link lists all the things that you need to learn in sequential order.  So that you should get your scales and chords/fingering down first.  I know people skip steps but going through each step will give you the fundamentals to take to progression learning.  Here's for theory!

I wouldn't mind having U as my teacher--that was a candid & crisp explanation..
Go sista 8)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up