LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: playing by the bassline  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Virtuenow

• LGM Member

Re: playing by the bassline
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 08:12:14 PM »
Thanks Musallie  ;D, but I still need to be taught.  I think I am at a level of learning so I can explaining it back to you as I learn.  It helps my understanding to be able to answer questions and explain stuff.  I then have to think of it conceptually.  T-Block taught me that!  For now, Musallio, we can teach each other (deal?) :)!

Bassline & Melody Very Different:

One more thing, jjjoe (I like your name by the way, 3 "j's"  :P), I don't think of the bass as the low end melody.  The bass usually sounds nothing like the melody of the song; and it does not follow the same pattern as the melody.  That is one reason it is so diffcult for me to pick the bass up w/my ears, b/c the melody throws me off (and melody is easier to hear).  I wish it was more like the melody; but the bass line is definitely more unique as far as the pattern.  Often, if you play the bass just by itself, it makes no sense and sounds nothing like the song you are learning---until you add the chords, that is.  Then it makes much more sense.

Offline jjjoe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 12:27:04 AM »
thank you for the compliment you said about the name. well yes and no about what you said yes it doesn't sound like the actual melody but the bassline is similar like the melody because the application process is the same. also the bassline follows a pattern that is related to the song same as the melody. the reason alot of people have problem with recognizing the bassline is because there are alot of different instruments that throw people off and you try to follow the path of you sound and some how the instruments you hear on the cd will switch to something that is strong; however, the process is still the same like microsoft word and microsoft works word processor. They both are different programs but they both do the same applications and about close to the same features. similar to bassline and melody they have alittle different sound from each other but they both follow the same patterns to apply to play songs. Therefore, you will need both to apply to songs like Koolaid package and water you both need them to serve the purpose of making koolaid. to have a better understanding read this pdf from jamal for gospel keyboard.com for more on bassline.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 07:57:23 AM »
Thanks Musallie  ;D, but I still need to be taught.  I think I am at a level of learning so I can explaining it back to you as I learn.  It helps my understanding to be able to answer questions and explain stuff.  I then have to think of it conceptually.  T-Block taught me that!  For now, Musallio, we can teach each other (deal?) :)!

Bassline & Melody Very Different:

One more thing, jjjoe (I like your name by the way, 3 "j's"  :P), I don't think of the bass as the low end melody.  The bass usually sounds nothing like the melody of the song; and it does not follow the same pattern as the melody.  That is one reason it is so diffcult for me to pick the bass up w/my ears, b/c the melody throws me off (and melody is easier to hear).  I wish it was more like the melody; but the bass line is definitely more unique as far as the pattern.  Often, if you play the bass just by itself, it makes no sense and sounds nothing like the song you are learning---until you add the chords, that is.  Then it makes much more sense.

I get U sis...deal ;)

jjoe:

Kool explanation..But the file failed to download:(
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline jjjoe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 09:39:24 AM »
Here is what Jamal says below its long

Chapter 1?Patterns in Ab
Introduction
This lesson is probably one of the most powerful and most important lessons out
of all of the lessons. What we tried to do was to give you patterns to use when
playing a song. Many contemporary songs have similar patterns to them. We
base everything from the bass line or bass note and we are applying the righthand
rules to the bass note. For example, if you can figure out the bass line to a
song, then there are usually a few right-hand chords or variations that can be
applied to that bass line. So what we did in the PDF documentation was provide
you different variations of right-hand chords, if you can determine the bass line.
The power of this, is that we did all of the hard work for you. If you can figure
out what the bass note is, then we gave you a choice of 2-3 different chords to
play in the right hand that usually correspond to the bass note that you hear.
Practice and memorize these patterns in Ab, then take them up to the rest of the
keys.
Procedure
The bass line is one of the easiest melodies to figure out, because it is typically
the lowest notes you hear in the song. One good way to pick out the bass
melody is to listen to the bass guitar to determine the bass. After determining
the bass melody, try the different right-hand chord variations that we have
provided to you. Listen to the different chords to figure out which one applies.
Now you have to remember that there is no sure guaranteed way to assure that
we can provide every single chord, but this will give you a good base or ballpark
as to the type of urban worship chords go with certain bass notes.
It is important that you don?t forget to transpose the chords. For example, you
do not have to play the chord in the exact same order as it is on the sheet. Be
creative and transpose the notes. For example, an Ab Major 7th can be played 4-
differnet ways:
1. Ab C Eb G
2. C Eb G A
3. Eb G Ab C
4. G Ab C Eb
So, take the chords we gave you and try different variations of the chord.
Hint: Try to listen to the melody of the song. If you can hear the melody, then
when choosing the chord, choose the chord that has the melody associated with
the singer. For example if the melody note is C#, then try to match the variation
of the chord with the melody note.
Play around with variations
Don?t be afraid to play around with the variations. Become very familiar with the
variations. I did not hold back on what I showed you. Those simple variations
and right-hand chords are the same chords I use on Sunday and in worship
services. Go through each variation and combine different variations so you
know how to form your fingers and how to hear what they sound like.
*Hint: Easy Talk Music?After learning these chords and their variations, you can
create some pretty nice talk music. Try different bass lines and apply the right
hand rules to the bass line. Perform the movements slow and majestic. You will
begin to hear some pretty nice talk music movements evolving from just mere
experimentation.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 09:46:29 AM »
Thanks jjjoe..
 8)