LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writing Parts...  (Read 2905 times)

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity
    • Let me know who you are & where you are from (lgm)

Writing Parts...
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:21:21 AM »
For an assignment for music theory class I have to compose a 1-2 minute piece with:
Voice(me!!!)
Cello or Guitar
Percussion (Vibes)

I have NO IDEA where to start.  Also, it has to be modal!

T-BLOCK HELP! and any other LGM'ers that can help.
"Prayer is the key. Faith unlocks the door."

littlelamb

Re: Writing Parts...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:33:34 AM »
That's a strange instrumentation but anyway ...

1. Choose a mode first. Pick an easy one like dorian (flat 3 and flat 7).
2. Come up with a couple of different ideas for melody. Do it according to your voice range. Make sure your melody has some contour to it. Don't do a whole bunch of repeated notes or it will be boring. ALSO Choose time signature. That will probably come as you develop your melody.
3. Once you've come a with a melody that you like decide how you're going to present it with that instrumentation.
4. I'd do an intro with the both or 1 of the instruments and then have the voice come in over it and then maybe a short solo with one or both of the instruments and then end. That should suffice for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. When you're coming up with a melody I'd like to hear it (if you want).

You can do it. It'll be fun. But make sure that everything ties together and it's coherent.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 11:36:47 AM »
Ah...Melody, Harmony, Rhythm....the three elements of music.

Assuming you want to go along Classical lines...

Melody (voice). This is the easy part - though you will have to come up with lyrics or adapt a poem. If you do the latter that could help you with the length. The other parts can do melody, too, just to change things up.

Harmony/Rhythm - Vibes or Guitar. Both can do block and arpeggiated chords - Vibes can do up to 4 notes at a time, with a good player. (Hint - on vibes, tremolo is your friend) If you're allowed to do chord symbols rather than write out the guitar part, the guitarist can figure out their own chords and strum. If you have to do tab, well...

Cello - this instrument is low enough to do a bass line the root (name) of your cho ;)rds - the 'bottom' of you music. Cello can also do melody/countermelody, up to about G or C above middle C. (Some players can go even higher)

Like the other poster said, the meter and key of these parts will depend on your melody.
Hope this helps some,

;)

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 12:05:20 PM »
That's a strange instrumentation but anyway ...

1. Choose a mode first. Pick an easy one like dorian (flat 3 and flat 7).
2. Come up with a couple of different ideas for melody. Do it according to your voice range. Make sure your melody has some contour to it. Don't do a whole bunch of repeated notes or it will be boring. ALSO Choose time signature. That will probably come as you develop your melody.
3. Once you've come a with a melody that you like decide how you're going to present it with that instrumentation.
4. I'd do an intro with the both or 1 of the instruments and then have the voice come in over it and then maybe a short solo with one or both of the instruments and then end. That should suffice for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. When you're coming up with a melody I'd like to hear it (if you want).

You can do it. It'll be fun. But make sure that everything ties together and it's coherent.

Ok, I get it a little. Believe me this was the best insturmentation. I was happy just as long as I wasn't stuck with the group that had the tuba in it.

Ah...Melody, Harmony, Rhythm....the three elements of music.

Assuming you want to go along Classical lines...

Melody (voice). This is the easy part - though you will have to come up with lyrics or adapt a poem. If you do the latter that could help you with the length. The other parts can do melody, too, just to change things up.

Harmony/Rhythm - Vibes or Guitar. Both can do block and arpeggiated chords - Vibes can do up to 4 notes at a time, with a good player. (Hint - on vibes, tremolo is your friend) If you're allowed to do chord symbols rather than write out the guitar part, the guitarist can figure out their own chords and strum. If you have to do tab, well...

Cello - this instrument is low enough to do a bass line the root (name) of your cho ;)rds - the 'bottom' of you music. Cello can also do melody/countermelody, up to about G or C above middle C. (Some players can go even higher)

Like the other poster said, the meter and key of these parts will depend on your melody.
Hope this helps some,

;)

I'm not really worried about the text/lyrics or the melody on the vocal end, its just writing the parts and bringing them together in the right way.

Thanks...keep it coming.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »
Composition is not really one of my strong points.  So, I'll let the "experts" handle this one, LOL.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 06:11:39 PM »
Composition is not really one of my strong points.  So, I'll let the "experts" handle this one, LOL.

Nice try, but you are still helping me buddy!

Offline glorydweller

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 08:43:02 PM »
Here's a tip I used when assigned a modal composition: I, like Littlelamb chose an easy mode - Dorian. Since I tend to think musically in either Aeolian (minor) or Ionian (major), I developed a melody in the minor mode and then adjusted it to Dorian by lowering all 7's by a half step. The result a very dark sounding piece, the lowered 7's adding an unexpected dark jab.

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 08:51:48 PM »
Here's a tip I used when assigned a modal composition: I, like Littlelamb chose an easy mode - Dorian. Since I tend to think musically in either Aeolian (minor) or Ionian (major), I developed a melody in the minor mode and then adjusted it to Dorian by lowering all 7's by a half step. The result a very dark sounding piece, the lowered 7's adding an unexpected dark jab.

I am feeling that! I was wanting a dark sounding piece. Dorian is a minor mode with a lowerd 6th right? I don't have my theory notes on me...

Thanks!

Offline glorydweller

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 11:07:31 PM »

I am feeling that! I was wanting a dark sounding piece. Dorian is a minor mode with a lowerd 6th right? I don't have my theory notes on me...

The Dorian scale has the following arrangement of whole and half steps:

whole-half-whole-whole-whole-half-whole

A D-Dorian scale, for example, would be D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D. This is equivalent to lowering the 7th degree of the D minor (ascending) scale.

Hope you get an A++
-Glo

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 11:12:16 PM »
Hi - Dorian is the mode that is the white keys on the piano, starting on D...

D E F G A B C D

Aeolian is the 'natural' minor, starting on A...

A B C D E F G A

Ionian is the Major scale, going from C to C. All these modes can be transposed to other keys, as well, but this is how I learned them in Theory class in college, WAY back in the day...

another good mode with a more 'major' feel is Mixolydian - G A B C D E F G - lots of Blues/R+B is based on this...with the 'blue' notes added, of course...

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »
Hi - Dorian is the mode that is the white keys on the piano, starting on D...

D E F G A B C D

Aeolian is the 'natural' minor, starting on A...

A B C D E F G A

Ionian is the Major scale, going from C to C. All these modes can be transposed to other keys, as well, but this is how I learned them in Theory class in college, WAY back in the day...

another good mode with a more 'major' feel is Mixolydian - G A B C D E F G - lots of Blues/R+B is based on this...with the 'blue' notes added, of course...

Thanks for all that info..it was worth my while reading this..Now I have a better understanding of how you real musicians think :o 8)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
The Dorian scale has the following arrangement of whole and half steps:

whole-half-whole-whole-whole-half-whole

A D-Dorian scale, for example, would be D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D. This is equivalent to lowering the 7th degree of the D minor (ascending) scale.

Hope you get an A++
-Glo

Well I learned this way in high school, but I also had a professor teach another way so to apply it other keys...

Major(start with the Major scale for the key): Mixolydian (lowered 7th), Ionian (Major), Lydian (raised 4th, i think)

Minor (start with minor scale for the key): Locrian(lowered 2nd & 5th, i think), Phrygian (lowered 2nd), Aeolian (nat. minor), Dorian (raised 6th)

I have to check my notes, but I know when I do my homework, this method works for me better. For some reason I have to learn a different way from everybody else...guess i'm difficult.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »

Well I learned this way in high school, but I also had a professor teach another way so to apply it other keys...

Major(start with the Major scale for the key): Mixolydian (lowered 7th), Ionian (Major), Lydian (raised 4th, i think)

Minor (start with minor scale for the key): Locrian(lowered 2nd & 5th, i think), Phrygian (lowered 2nd), Aeolian (nat. minor), Dorian (raised 6th)

I have to check my notes, but I know when I do my homework, this method works for me better. For some reason I have to learn a different way from everybody else...guess i'm difficult.

No, that's fine...Your way is easier to transpose to other keys.
BTW, for jazz enthusiasts, each 7th chord has modes that go with it...to use for lead lines when soloing...

Major (Ionian), also Lydian = Major7 chord
Aeolian, Dorian, Phrygian = minor7
Locrian = half-diminished 7 - like C7(b5)
Mixolydian = Dominant 7th
Haven't figured which one would go with a Diminished 7th, yet...
 :P

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
BTW, for jazz enthusiasts, each 7th chord has modes that go with it...to use for lead lines when soloing...

Major (Ionian), also Lydian = Major7 chord
Aeolian, Dorian, Phrygian = minor7
Locrian = half-diminished 7 - like C7(b5)
Mixolydian = Dominant 7th
Haven't figured which one would go with a Diminished 7th, yet...
 :P

& me thinks you won't figure it out at any time ;D
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 08:43:34 AM »

Exactly! That is what I was going for.

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »
Another trick to get you started is to try the Pentatonic Minor, in D would be D F G A C D (like starting on the Eb black key and using only the black keys).  This is either Aeolian or Dorian since the Bb (Aeolian) or B (Dorian) is not used or Phrygian (which would use Eb and Bb).  Then, if in the course of the song you need a "B/Bb" or "E/Eb" as an auxiliary or in passing, add it in.

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 02:05:16 PM »
Another trick to get you started is to try the Pentatonic Minor, in D would be D F G A C D (like starting on the Eb black key and using only the black keys).  This is either Aeolian or Dorian since the Bb (Aeolian) or B (Dorian) is not used or Phrygian (which would use Eb and Bb).  Then, if in the course of the song you need a "B/Bb" or "E/Eb" as an auxiliary or in passing, add it in.

Ok...let me ponder this! I'm a visual person, so I think I gotta write this out...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »

Ok...let me ponder this! I'm a visual person, so I think I gotta write this out...

HAHAHAHAHA, come on Klubby Klub, u didn't understand that?  LOL, just messing wit u.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 06:12:30 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA, come on Klubby Klub, u didn't understand that?  LOL, just messing wit u.

I am a visual learner big head! geesh! sue me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up