LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wisdom from a fusion great...  (Read 960 times)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Wisdom from a fusion great...
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:03:27 PM »
In an effort to expand and renew the minds of my fellow LGMers I would like to share a couple quotations from some of my readings. these came from the MD Drummer's Blog written by fusion drumming great Richie Morales. Get into your craft and open your eyes and ears to the world around you. God created it all for our benefit. Let's use it.

A parallel between martial arts and drumming that I enjoy is the importance of the fundamentals: posture, breathing, and technique—the basics. Both disciplines require years of study and practice just to get to the point of where you can begin to “scratch the surface.” A black belt means a student is ready to start learning, not that he’s reached the end. When I had the opportunity to work with the late, great Afro-Cuban percussionist Carlos “Patato” Valdes, he often would to say “…No masters! We’re all students here.”

-- Ricky Morales, fusion great

“…It would be of great assistance to a karateka to become involved in the rhythmic occurrences of everyday life such as music and dance, and so on. This will lead to a unification of mind and body, which will serve as the firm foundation for growth and excellence in any undertaking.”
—Mas Oyama
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

Re: Wisdom from a fusion great...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:37:57 AM »
"A parallel between martial arts and drumming that I enjoy is the importance of the fundamentals: posture, breathing, and technique—the basics. Both disciplines require years of study and practice just to get to the point of where you can begin to “scratch the surface.” A black belt means a student is ready to start learning, not that he’s reached the end. When I had the opportunity to work with the late, great Afro-Cuban percussionist Carlos “Patato” Valdes, he often would to say “…No masters! We’re all students here.”

- Ricky Morales (fusion great)

“…It would be of great assistance to a karateka to become involved in the rhythmic occurrences of everyday life such as music and dance, and so on. This will lead to a unification of mind and body, which will serve as the firm foundation for growth and excellence in any undertaking.”

- Mas Oyama
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:41:35 AM »
....great Afro-Cuban percussionist Carlos Patato Valdes, he often would to say... "No masters! We're all students here."

...this is the very same thing that Steve Smith constantly says and has rubbed off on me.

...I'm definetly a student and will always consider myself to be one.  RIP Patato. :'( 8)
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
This proving to be one in a number of threads for the MATURE crowd.

I encourage LGM drum room to step up your game to the real meaning/purpose of music/being a musician and giving people an experience.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

E.R.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 11:06:20 AM »
Can I change my name from E.R. to Sponge?

**Absorbing**

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 12:22:55 PM »
*bump*

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:13:41 AM »
Can I change my name from E.R. to Sponge?

**Absorbing**

I'll be Patrick.

Seriously good stuff in this thread.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »
I pray that one of these days the "light bulb" would go off in a lot of my fellow drummers when it comes to stuff like this. I think my light bulb is ready for a change. Nice post uncle Sabe.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up