LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do know if your tone deaf?  (Read 7011 times)

Offline NewLevel

• LGM Member

how do know if your tone deaf?
« on: April 01, 2008, 07:02:58 PM »
This question has been on my mind today...I hope I'm not tone deaf. I sing and play the keys for my local church and I haven't completely mastered playing completely by ear yet but many times I can. I'm getting there though. I can set down with a song and find the root key and play along. I think I sing on key too...lol.
"When your down to nothin'... God is up to somethin'..."

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: how do know if your tone deaf?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 06:01:46 AM »
If u can find the correct pitches that people are singing, then u are definitely NOT tone deaf.  Tone deaf people can't find the key no matter what.  Not only that, but they truly believe that they are singing or playing good, when in reality it sucks, LOL.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 07:03:07 AM »
If u can find the correct pitches that people are singing, then u are definitely NOT tone deaf.  Tone deaf people can't find the key no matter what.  Not only that, but they truly believe that they are singing or playing good, when in reality it sucks, LOL.
At least I can find the key..& i think I know when my playing sucks ;D :D

Nice ansa T.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Tiptip357

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:24:11 AM »
 One time I had to check myself for a second because there's this lady and I kid you not, she can sing a key that's not on the staff.....SERIOUSLY!!! lol
   Example: She was the praise and worship leader and during practice she sung a song and I asked her to hold the first note because for some reason, it just wasn't sounding right. I started playing a single note to get the exact note she was singing.....I could not find it!!!! lol Then I was like "Is it me? After 10years of playing, could I be tone deaf?" So I asked other musicians, including my mother and we were all like, "how does she do it?!" lol it was like, in order to play the note that she was singing, you would need to have the piano out of tune on purpose to find the note. lol
  It really scared me for a moment because I thought it was me and then I would've been mad because all this time, nobody told me! lol :D

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:07:15 PM »
One time I had to check myself for a second because there's this lady and I kid you not, she can sing a key that's not on the staff.....SERIOUSLY!!! lol

You know what those notes are called?  Quarter tones, which are basically notes in between notes.  Here in the U.S. our harmonies and instrumentsis based on 12 pitches. If u go to other countries, u will find that their harmonies and instruments cover a wider range of pitches to contain those quarter tones.  So, even if a person was singing in between a key, u could find him/her using the right instrument.

So, the lady from your example would have no trouble singing in another country, LOL.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 09:09:38 PM »
You know what those notes are called?  Quarter tones, which are basically notes in between notes.  Here in the U.S. our harmonies and instrumentsis based on 12 pitches. If u go to other countries, u will find that their harmonies and instruments cover a wider range of pitches to contain those quarter tones.  So, even if a person was singing in between a key, u could find him/her using the right instrument.

So, the lady from your example would have no trouble singing in another country, LOL.

My bad, there are some instruments in the U.S. that can play those quarter tones, the string instruments.  The string instruments (violin, viola, guitar, etc.) can bend and slide to play those quarter tones.

Tiptip357

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »
My bad, there are some instruments in the U.S. that can play those quarter tones, the string instruments.  The string instruments (violin, viola, guitar, etc.) can bend and slide to play those quarter tones.

Yea, I can "bend" the notes on my clarinets with excessive air flow against the reed or specialized fingerings and brass instruments with the shape of my lips. And I do know about those notes, but trust...that was NOT what she was going for. I can't explain it because you would have to hear it for yourself. I'm not trying to put it in true terminology...I was putting it in a "that was such a mess that I had to check my own self to see if it was me" kinda way. lol ;D

Wow what a refresher...I haven't had to really use quarters tones in about 3 years when me and someone else had recital piece by Charles Ives where one of our pianos was a quarter tone sharp.
Thanks for the memories T lol ;D

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 09:58:32 PM »
Wow what a refresher...I haven't had to really use quarters tones in about 3 years when me and someone else had recital piece by Charles Ives where one of our pianos was a quarter tone sharp.
Thanks for the memories T lol ;D

No problem, I was almost sure that you knew about them, but there are people here who know nothing about them, LOL.  That must have been some terrible singing if u couldn't explain them using quarter tones.

Tiptip357

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 10:10:19 PM »
No problem, I was almost sure that you knew about them, but there are people here who know nothing about them, LOL.  That must have been some terrible singing if u couldn't explain them using quarter tones.

I enjoy coming to this site, because regardless of where I'm at right now, I learn something new each time so its all good. Keep doing ya thang...I'm taking notes from ya lol  :D
 No but serious with that lady, I didn't want to get personal but...I've known her since I was 3yrs old and being in a military family and her being a military spouse, her and her voice seems to follow us everywhere!!! lol she has like a....nagging tone to her voice....goodness I seriously can't describe it but if you tell her that she ain't sangin, she'd fight ya! lol :::I still have a confused looked on my face because I don't know what to make of the voice::: very weird.... ?/? lol

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 11:19:15 AM »
Good thing I popped in again coz I learned something new (quarter tones etc 8))

before reading T-Bone's response, I was going to say it's probably the frequency she's singing in that's not programed/ catered for in the piano/ keyboard..

It's interesting to know that that there are actualy people who can sing such "interesting" stuff & expect to be accompanied by piano! I can imagine the wicked stares you'll get just for not being able to find the key to that singing :P

I know my mum literally goes up a key for every line in a song!!It's worse when there is no accompanyment because I end up counting the # number of times she goes up (but at least she sings in the defined frequency ranges ;D)..

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »
I've run into a couple of people in the past like that.  While, the problem is most often singing flat (due to incorrect support and posture) I have actually run into a person who consistently sings sharp -- just enough to be a problem (about a quarter tone).  If you were to hear them with an instrument, they would sound fine, but they don't seem to make the connection with the keyboard pitch (even a perfectly tuned one).  What's more, they will do it regardless of the key they are in.  I suspect if one were to match their pitch by raising the tuning of a digital piano slightly, they would sing sharp above that.

I was accompanying for a college professor who taught privately in his home on Saturdays.  He told me that it is nearly impossible to get a sharp singer down to pitch.  Flat singing is usually correctable, but he had not yet found much success in correcting the problem with a sharp singer.

Anyway, I'm curious to know what they are hearing in their head.  Somehow, what they are hearing has to be correct to them in relation to the piano.  And, they can't be truly tone deaf since the notes are recognizable.

Oh well, such is the life of an accompanist.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 02:22:43 AM »
I've run into a couple of people in the past like that.  While, the problem is most often singing flat (due to incorrect support and posture) I have actually run into a person who consistently sings sharp -- just enough to be a problem (about a quarter tone).  If you were to hear them with an instrument, they would sound fine, but they don't seem to make the connection with the keyboard pitch (even a perfectly tuned one).  What's more, they will do it regardless of the key they are in.  I suspect if one were to match their pitch by raising the tuning of a digital piano slightly, they would sing sharp above that.

I was accompanying for a college professor who taught privately in his home on Saturdays.  He told me that it is nearly impossible to get a sharp singer down to pitch.  Flat singing is usually correctable, but he had not yet found much success in correcting the problem with a sharp singer.

Anyway, I'm curious to know what they are hearing in their head.  Somehow, what they are hearing has to be correct to them in relation to the piano.  And, they can't be truly tone deaf since the notes are recognizable.

Oh well, such is the life of an accompanist.

eek!!
<--- the accompanist
Is it the piano or the singer :-\  Don't blame it on the piano, it's the singer!! ;D :D :D

Offline amandaag

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 11:04:29 AM »

you should teach me music theory you know....  ;)

yeah tone deaf is the opposite of perfect pitch (let's put it that way)

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 11:10:54 AM »
eek!!
<--- the accompanist
Is it the piano or the singer :-\  Don't blame it on the piano, it's the singer!! ;D :D :D

It's never the piano player.   ::)  [He says with a firm intonation.]

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »
you should teach me music theory you know....  ;)

O.K., tell me what u need help wit.

Offline terranb7

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 01:56:42 AM »
I've read the post concerning quarter notes etc. and about being tone deaf, what I would like to know how if it is possible can a tone deaf person learn to hear.  Is there a hearing aide out there or something.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 09:06:26 AM »
I've read the post concerning quarter notes etc. and about being tone deaf, what I would like to know how if it is possible can a tone deaf person learn to hear.  Is there a hearing aide out there or something.

The thing about many tone deaf people is they believe they are not tone deaf.  The first step for them getting help is for them to admit that they are indeed tone deaf.  Once they recognize it, then it's just a matter of working with them until they can match pitches with the keyboard.

Offline amandaag

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 09:43:40 PM »

LMBO! hearing aid for tone deaf! tone deaf does not necessarily mean that you'e literally or legally deaf and you cant hear tones it means that you can't discriminate between notes and tones or the lack of relative pitch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up