LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Question :)  (Read 733 times)

Offline youngkobe2k7

• LGM Member

Another Question :)
« on: April 02, 2008, 08:52:37 PM »
I do not understand what people mean when they say you should study a bassist. I have listened to bassist such as Stanley and have learned some of his stuff but can somebody explain what it means to study a bassist. THANK YOU
**J**

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

Re: Another Question :)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
Study....as in listen intently to a certain musician in an effort to gain some insight as to how and what they play or create. Sometimes it's a required school project and some times it's a personal choice due to one's interest in a certain player. Many saxophonists 'study' Coltrane or Sonny Rollins. Many pianists 'study' Monk or Oscar Peterson. We all learn from each other either directly or indirectly.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 11:58:24 PM »
When i study, i listen to how they lock in with the drums, when do they do fills, the tone of the bass, etc... i don't study to copy them but study to see what most professionals do.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:37:02 AM »
another method that i do, which isnt always possible because of a limited selection, is to study different bassists but in relation to a particular song. See how the bass player approaches different parts of the song and does certain things. Then get the same song but done by different groups and pay attention to what the bassist for that group does. Once thats done then a compare and contrast can be done, particularly noticing whether different note choices are simply alternatives, or do they significantly affect the feel of the song.

right now i want to work on my slapping. to me it sounds musically stale and repetitive. so im going to start studying marcus miller. really listening to his music, trying to identify his patterns and more importantly the reasons behind his note choices.

studying basically is trying to understand the "why" behind their playing, more than the "what". and very profound musicians have a strong "why" because they arent just randomly hitting a flurry of notes. They selectively, albeit subconsciously, pick notes to serve a particular purpose. Once you understand this you'll be able to understand how you should play for a particular song (whether it may be a borrowed line or an original creative one), rather than just being able to hammer out someone else's riffs that may totally be out of context and have an unintended response.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:50:32 AM »
Ditto to everything said above....Each bassist has their own "flavor" and each has a different approach to music. I do that same on the gospel scene here in Texas locally. This sunday we are playing at a church where I know this bass guy "Rob" is just silly on his 6 string Ken Smith. Each time he plays a gospel song he adds his on flavor and taste to it as well as some other guys....I study when they add chords, slap/pop, slides, fills, etc......that is how I have developed my own "sound" I guess. I have had several people who aren't musically inclined to tell me they can tell when I am playing the bass compared to others and that feels good know....there are so many people you can study. One I personally like is Wayman Tisdale..He has created his own style and you here a little of different players but you know it's him....
May God's Grace & Mercy smile upon you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up