LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fellas I tried.......I can't play anything other than GOSPEL music.  (Read 4963 times)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

I've been approached quite a few times about playing gigs for different genres of music. From blues, to funk, to r&b. I've always turned it down telling them that I'm only a gospel drummer.

But with the cost of things soaring through the roof, I agreed to play in a funk/r&b group, because I did need the extra $. So I went to a practice and I wasn't playing like ME. Licks that I've been doing in church for years were not clean, and I just could not get into the flow of the music. I really was struggling and it seemed like the drums were playing me, instead of the other way around.

I felt like my flesh was playing, but my spirit was in outer space somewhere. I may not be a Calvin Rodgers, but I do consider myslef above average, and at this practice I was very very average. This group is playing at some big time local events and it could help me alot, but I'm going to have to put this thing aside.

I don't knock drummers who explore the other genres. 85% of the drummers I look up to have played outside of gospel, but it just seems like my spirit is not letting get out there.

Anybody know what I mean, or am I by myself on this one?

***A friend told me that music is music, no matter what. But I can FEEL it when I play gospel. I'm not experiencing that with the other music.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Fellas I tried.......I can't play anything other than GOSPEL music.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:39:32 PM »
Interesting.

I'd have no problem playing RnB, thats what got me interested in music. But if were to go out and work in the secular world, I'd be very selective of where I'm playing. I dont need to be playing around Alchohol or Drugs or anything like that.

This issue is a personal choice. Everybody is different. You dont have to do anything that you are uncomfortable with. There has to be a christian artist or church looking to hire a drummer

Offline jdkells

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »
Man i understand just what you're saying! I was telling someone last night the same thing. It's just not meant 4 everybody. 4 some reason God seems 2 only allow some to go that route! I'm 1 of those who can't. I know the topic is a touchie 1, "is it right, or wrong?". I've been thinking cause everybody is doing it, it must be okay. God hasn't, and i don't think he will ever give me the okay to go outside of gospel. I kinda went thru the same thing and i felt so outta place, and i couldn't get anything to click. That was my 1st and last go at the R&B thing.LOL... It's not 4 everybody!!!

Offline mingusfingus

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 12:51:40 PM »
Wait, how much time you`ve been playing gospel music and how much any other? What music do you listen to and what music do you like? You know, dress shoes can be uncomfortable after sneakers even if they fit.

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »
Wait, how much time you`ve been playing gospel music and how much any other? What music do you listen to and what music do you like? You know, dress shoes can be uncomfortable after sneakers even if they fit.

I've been in gospel pretty much all my life. But I have practiced on my own to different r&b songs. And maybe played around with my friends with them, but never anything serious. This was my first time SERIOUSLY trying it out. And right off the back, i could tell that it just wasn't me.
I don't think it was a comfort thing because I can groove and pocket the song all day long, but as far as REALLY feeling the music in my spirit. Thats where the difference comes in. And I play so much better when my spirit is in it.

And I have to agree with kells when he says, its just not for everybody.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 02:53:12 PM »
I've been in gospel pretty much all my life. But I have practiced on my own to different r&b songs. And maybe played around with my friends with them, but never anything serious. This was my first time SERIOUSLY trying it out. And right off the back, i could tell that it just wasn't me.
I don't think it was a comfort thing because I can groove and pocket the song all day long, but as far as REALLY feeling the music in my spirit. Thats where the difference comes in. And I play so much better when my spirit is in it.

And I have to agree with kells when he says, its just not for everybody.

Just because a shoe fits doesn't mean that you will feel it. Often times when a shoe is not in your favorite color you will not want it event though you like the design. What I am saying is that you have to decide to play the music and commit your best playing to that music at that time. Sounds like you went into the situation half-hearted with no preparation and no commitment to anything but the money.

When ever money overshadows the music or whatever your passion, problems in your spirit always come. That has happened to me on church gigs more than once. As well, when you are use to playing at a certain level, with a certain amount of knowledge/reference/preparedness guilt and dissatisfaction set in. God generally tells you "no" flat out. But the enemy more often makes you unsure/second guess yourself in your skills, confidence.

No every gig isn't for everybody but God gave you power to get wealth and you gift shall make room for you. Make sure your motives are pure even to the truths you know within. Fear of financial loss or taking a job because of "needing the money" is still fear and shows a lack of trust or consultation in God (I am learning from personal experience and wise counsel) because He knows what we have need of. The Word says that the birds don't worry so why should we (paraphrased)? Again check your motives and your commitment and your fears cause sometimes God needs to send a Christian into "World" and we half-go.... Remember Jonah didn't want to go to Nineva. God didn't trouble his spirit not to go Jonah made a decision not to go... which brought on the trouble.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 03:34:33 PM »
Just because a shoe fits doesn't mean that you will feel it. Often times when a shoe is not in your favorite color you will not want it event though you like the design. What I am saying is that you have to decide to play the music and commit your best playing to that music at that time. Sounds like you went into the situation half-hearted with no preparation and no commitment to anything but the money.

When ever money overshadows the music or whatever your passion, problems in your spirit always come. That has happened to me on church gigs more than once. As well, when you are use to playing at a certain level, with a certain amount of knowledge/reference/preparedness guilt and dissatisfaction set in. God generally tells you "no" flat out. But the enemy more often makes you unsure/second guess yourself in your skills, confidence.

No every gig isn't for everybody but God gave you power to get wealth and you gift shall make room for you. Make sure your motives are pure even to the truths you know within. Fear of financial loss or taking a job because of "needing the money" is still fear and shows a lack of trust or consultation in God (I am learning from personal experience and wise counsel) because He knows what we have need of. The Word says that the birds don't worry so why should we (paraphrased)? Again check your motives and your commitment and your fears cause sometim es God needs to send a Christian into "World" and we half-ego.... Remember Jonah didn't want to go to Nineva. God didn't trouble his spirit not to go Jonah made a decision not to go... which brought on the trouble.
:)

Offline jdkells

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »
There are some great points being made! I can not speak 4 QCdrummer but i believe God gives us gifts and He intends 4 us to use them 4 Him, and His purpose only. When we step out of His will things never seem to workout. I'm trying 2 read between the lines in his opening statement and i'm hearing giving the fact he's a great drummer, that thing he feels when he sits behind the kit at church was missing on the r&b kit! (QCdrummer please correct me if i'm wrong) I've heard some1 say "u gotta have big ears" so i took that 2 mean u gotta listen to everything. When u listen 2, and practice everything it's easier to adapt in all situations. In gospel we play so many different styles so its really something u have to do if u wanna be well rounded. I guessing he would have probably felt the same thing if it was rock, jazz, punk, or neo-soul! I feel exactly the same way, everything is not 4 everybody. Great post, i'm enjoying it!

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 04:10:17 PM »
I mean, its one thing to go out to the world for specific purpose, but if I were to go out there, I wouldn't be getting anything out of it other than a nice paycheck. There is no reason to play with this group other than the fact that it very well could be a stepping stone. And EVERY drummer longs for that stepping stone. lol. But how far will I get if my ALL is not into it.
As long as the lyrics aren't talking about "supersoakers" and all that, then I don't have a problem with it. BUT, if your spirit is not in it, you might as well not even do it. Because money is not gonna buy you happiness. Especially if you are only playing half of what you are capable of.

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »
I mean, its one thing to go out to the world for specific purpose, but if I were to go out there, I wouldn't be getting anything out of it other than a nice paycheck. There is no reason to play with this group other than the fact that it very well could be a stepping stone. And EVERY drummer longs for that stepping stone. lol. But how far will I get if my ALL is not into it.
As long as the lyrics aren't talking about "supersoakers" and all that, then I don't have a problem with it. BUT, if your spirit is not in it, you might as well not even do it. Because money is not gonna buy you happiness. Especially if you are only playing half of what you are capable of.

:)

Offline George Spanky McCurdy

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »
man, this is a very important subject. In a nut shell, nothing satisfies me more than doing a "gospel" hit, ministering, and u see people who've been delivered, set free, etc. Nothing is more satisfying than that. To everything their is a season, so whatever season ur in, just chill there until God tells u to move. But nothing is more satisfying, trust me. Its because u "see" the resuts from ur gift as a whole (band/ministry). U see the people breakthrough, crying, shoutin, etc. But on another gig, u'll minister on ur craft and someone might be touched but they cant really explain what it feels like because their not use to feeling the anointing of God. So u might minister through conversation or just ur playing and u probably dont even see the results @ all. So of course, because "u can see" the results in gospel, its more satisfying. Just stay prayerful and do whatever God wants U to do. I was dealing with that recenlt and God gave me an awesome word.....i cant release it yet because its actually gonna be the nae of my first album, but it deals with whats "ours". as far as seasons, callings, purposes, alot of people are walking into the wrong seasons because their soooo anxious for mor. The bible says be anxious for nothing.....its hard for us, but maaaan, jus govern what God has blessed u with now, and in due season, "if meant" he'll allow u to venture out.....b blessed LGM, good thread, really good thread, and i wanna apologize for my behavior on the other thread, it was uncalled for and i apologize to dudeondrums, sorry bro.....s'all love, ur entitled to your opinion, blessings...

Offline Lildrummaboy66

• LGM Member
  • F L O R I D A G A T O R S

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »

No every gig isn't for everybody but God gave you power to get wealth and you gift shall make room for you. Make sure your motives are pure even to the truths you know within. Fear of financial loss or taking a job because of "needing the money" is still fear and shows a lack of trust or consultation in God (I am learning from personal experience and wise counsel) because He knows what we have need of. The Word says that the birds don't worry so why should we (paraphrased)? Again check your motives and your commitment and your fears cause sometim es God needs to send a Christian into "World" and we half-go.... Remember Jonah didn't want to go to Nineva. God didn't trouble his spirit not to go Jonah made a decision not to go... which brought on the trouble.
[/quote
]

;)
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 08:57:31 PM »

No every gig isn't for everybody but God gave you power to get wealth and you gift shall make room for you. Make sure your motives are pure even to the truths you know within. Fear of financial loss or taking a job because of "needing the money" is still fear and shows a lack of trust or consultation in God (I am learning from personal experience and wise counsel) because He knows what we have need of. The Word says that the birds don't worry so why should we (paraphrased)? Again check your motives and your commitment and your fears cause sometim es God needs to send a Christian into "World" and we half-ego.... Remember Jonah didn't want to go to Nineva. God didn't trouble his spirit not to go Jonah made a decision not to go... which brought on the trouble.

VERY well said.

But how far will I get if my ALL is not into it.

Why can't you put your all into it?
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »
You're light is still light when it's in a dark place. Of course we can "feel" it in church.

Let the situation you're in glorify God. We should be confident about the things we decide to do! BE CONFIDENT. You can only learn from these situations.

Also, very important, YOU AGREED TO PLAY. Don't be a coward and show up with no game. Be professional and get the job done well! How are you gonna tell me you can't feel it?!?! If it's R&B then it's right up your "gospel" alley. Get it done brother! Break your own neck if you have to!

Just make sure you're walking with Him. He would never lead us to wolves, only we can leave ourselves open to that. So if your walking with Him, you're safe.

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 09:44:41 PM »
And just to add, saying you can only play Gospel music is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. What you're really saying is "I can't play anything other than Christian music." I can't tell you how frustrating it is hearing this come from people. Anyone else feel what I'm saying?

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 10:22:25 PM »
And just to add, saying you can only play Gospel music is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. What you're really saying is "I can't play anything other than Christian music." I can't tell you how frustrating it is hearing this come from people. Anyone else feel what I'm saying?

And what you said is the stupidest thing ive ever read. :-\

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 10:33:52 PM »
And what you said is the stupidest thing ive ever read. :-\

+1

Some people relate to music on a spiritual level. If somthing is not right with my spirit, I'm not doing it.

Offline b_jizzle20

• LGM Member
    • MY MUSIC

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 10:57:29 PM »

Whats wrong with playing just Christian/Gospel music?? ?/? It contains various styles. And Its all up to individual and their conviction to play Secular or not...

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS. I have had a problem with that mentality every since I joined LGM. We are Christians not Gospelians and you are either a Musician or you are not. Christian music is a genre label to the industry, a Message to the masses. It is not a style of music as misunderstood in the urban culture. We are talking about SENSIBILITIES (Sensibility refers to an acute perception of or responsiveness toward something, such as the emotions of another. This concept emerged in eighteenth-century Britain, and was closely associated with studies of sense perception as the means through which knowledge is gathered.) which require you to be a present, preferably knowledgable and  prepared participant in the musical scenario you are in at the given time. In short either showing yourself approved, able to rightly divide the truth of the situation or a willing student supporting the leader serving the music.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 07:02:25 PM »
I've been approached quite a few times about playing gigs for different genres of music. From blues, to funk, to r&b. I've always turned it down telling them that I'm only a gospel drummer.

But with the cost of things soaring through the roof, I agreed to play in a funk/r&b group, because I did need the extra $. So I went to a practice and I wasn't playing like ME. Licks that I've been doing in church for years were not clean, and I just could not get into the flow of the music. I really was struggling and it seemed like the drums were playing me, instead of the other way around.

I felt like my flesh was playing, but my spirit was in outer space somewhere. I may not be a Calvin Rodgers, but I do consider myself above average, and at this practice I was very very average. This group is playing at some big time local events and it could help me a lot, but I'm going to have to put this thing aside.

I don't knock drummers who explore the other genres. 85% of the drummers I look up to have played outside of gospel, but it just seems like my spirit is not letting get out there.

Anybody know what I mean, or am I by myself on this one?

***A friend told me that music is music, no matter what. But I can FEEL it when I play gospel. I'm not experiencing that with the other music.

Well my take might not be as nice, sorry Im not trying to be offensive. But you cant blame bad playing on the Spirit. An R&B gig is not a gospel gig and shouldn't be played as one! If you are a professional you should be able to adapt to the situation that you are in and play it comfortably! Sometimes it is all about the money! You needed the money so go make it doing what you do best!!! I once played a gig where I hated the artist and wanted to quit but it was the holidays and I needed the money. I just stayed professional and did my thing. Did I feel it, no, was I at my best, heck no I hated the guy, but I was professional and did my thing.

Now for the Spirit, come on! Your on a secular gig, what! Were you expecting the Holy Ghost to fall and everyone on stage was going to go into a shout!? On a secular gig you have no need to flow in the Spirit so dont expect to be led by him. He aint coming to a club or a bar to lead you whiles you're up there playing sex me up and bootys back. Youre drumming on your own and now the real you as a player comes out. I know the feeling real well, and Ive been there.... Playing for God and being led by the Spirit is 1000000000000000000 times nicer and more rewarding then playing any secular gig.

But God (Now Im not telling you to stay I dont tell Christians to go secular because I dont want their soul to be on my head!!) uses guys like me as a light to those people. Im very straight up about my Christianity and most people who know me in the secular world knows it. To the point where they will not put me in an after party type suition. The amount of people that I influence (and I dont even have to say a word) just floors me...Example, they tend to watch their language around me, or not smoke weed around me and even come take to me about Church.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up