LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fellas I tried.......I can't play anything other than GOSPEL music.  (Read 4950 times)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

Re: Fellas I tried.......I can't play anything other than GOSPEL music.
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »
Like Beat said earlier, I had the answer to my issue all along, I just never really dug deep into it. Had I done that, this wouldn't even be a topic

Out of love for Him, you would be tempted, but choose not to sin. There is NO PLACE WHERE TEMPTATION IS GREATER.

This is a very very untrue statement. Just because you are saved does not mean you are not human anymore. I know for a fact I'm not the only one who has made mistakes while being saved, and I love God with all my heart. If you've been saved for YEARS and haven't sinned during your walk with Christ, then congratulations to you. I commend you on that. But for the rest of us people who "don't love God because we chose to sin", I suggest that if you feel LED to stay away from Sincity,, then don't let others sway you there. Just stay away! It doesn't make you a wimp, it makes you smart!

Didn't the Bible say something to the fact that if your right hand leads you to sin, then cut you right hand off? Did not Lot's wife die because she turned around to see what was going on in Sodom? Why was she looking back to Sodom? What was in Sodom that she wanted there? If you are directed to go toward your future and stay away from your past, then just do it.

Don't go helping out the devil by going where he wants you to go. Make him work hard to take you out! He's studying you everyday to see what he can do to get you away from your destiny. Don't make it easy on him by thinking you are Jesus. Jesus did as he was directed and the devil had to go find him, Jesus didn't help satan out in any way.  Everybody won't struggle with the same thing, so if you can go anywhere and be in any situation, by all means do so!!!!! But for the rest of us, if God brings you out of Sodom, then go foward and don't look back. I'm not going to die worrying about whats going on in Sodom.

Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline b_jizzle20

• LGM Member
    • MY MUSIC

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2008, 10:21:05 PM »
You must have a hard time alone with the computer if this phases you. Lets just be real.

I'm not saying it is wise to put yourself in a crazy situation, like a bachelor party at a strip club, because I know somebody is gonna go there. All I'm saying is if a man really knew Jesus as savior, friend, sovereign king, and not rule book, you wouldn't have to second guess and ask mostly complete strangers on LGM their opinions. If you really knew Him, He would be leading and guiding you.

Aye man, people are built different. I been to clubs/jams/parties and I know and have participated in what goes on there. Why would I wanna go back, its like a dog returning to its vomit. Its true that all these temptations are out there and i get my fair share (being that I'm still in highschool). I already got enough, why do I wanna give myself more? ?/? :-\...Does'nt make sense to me. Why walk on the edge of a freeway when the sidewalk is there?? And you looking people walking the sidewalk and busy callin them whimps. Before you know it, a Semi come lick you down! (not directed at you, its just an analogy). But if you can handle it, go ahead I aint knockin anybody who plays at the clubs. God gives some people more strength in certain areas than others.

Peace 8) 8)

Offline b_jizzle20

• LGM Member
    • MY MUSIC

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 10:24:20 PM »
Like Beat said earlier, I had the answer to my issue all along, I just never really dug deep into it. Had I done that, this wouldn't even be a topic

This is a very very untrue statement. Just because you are saved does not mean you are not human anymore. I know for a fact I'm not the only one who has made mistakes while being saved, and I love God with all my heart. If you've been saved for YEARS and haven't sinned during your walk with Christ, then congratulations to you. I commend you on that. But for the rest of us people who "don't love God because we chose to sin", I suggest that if you feel LED to stay away from Sincity,, then don't let others sway you there. Just stay away! It doesn't make you a wimp, it makes you smart!

Didn't the Bible say something to the fact that if your right hand leads you to sin, then cut you right hand off? Did not Lot's wife die because she turned around to see what was going on in Sodom? Why was she looking back to Sodom? What was in Sodom that she wanted there? If you are directed to go toward your future and stay away from your past, then just do it.

Don't go helping out the devil by going where he wants you to go. Make him work hard to take you out! He's studying you everyday to see what he can do to get you away from your destiny. Don't make it easy on him by thinking you are Jesus. Jesus did as he was directed and the devil had to go find him, Jesus didn't help satan out in any way.  Everybody won't struggle with the same thing, so if you can go anywhere and be in any situation, by all means do so!!!!! But for the rest of us, if God brings you out of Sodom, then go foward and don't look back. I'm not going to die worrying about whats going on in Sodom.

Thank you!!

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 10:34:14 PM »
That same temptation is in church on Sunday morning, Mcdonalds on Monday, home on Tuesday, Joeys football practice Wednesday, etc...

What I am hearing is a bunch of wimpy (yea, wimpy) Christians who act like they need to lock themselves indoors to hide from some legs and booty. Man up men of God. Think about it, the strongest temptation is when YOU'RE ALONE BEHIND CLOSED DOORS where none of us can judge you. A place you can hide what you feel inside. You need to change your paradigms (ways of thinking). You need to really meet the man Jesus. He alone can change a man from the INSIDE OUT. Out of love for Him, you would be tempted, but choose not to sin. There is NO PLACE WHERE TEMPTATION IS GREATER.

I am by no means sticking up for secular gigging. I just want to challenge those who choose to stay ignorant. This is why unbelieving men look at us like wimps. Jesus was no wimp. He literally kicked ***!

Yep! Booty's booty Christian or non! Same temptations and Christians go on with the same stuff as the secular, the only difference is that we lie to ourselves and try to hide it until someone get pregnant or is found dead from an over dose! You have to grow as soldiers and get strong....You will fail at times we all do!!!! BUT that's why Jesus DIED!!!! I 100% agree BUT you are a man, human and you will always be!!! I love big butts and I can not lie, but Im not an animal that I cant control myself and stay focused as a Christian, even if the other head wants to take a look at the candy.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline b_jizzle20

• LGM Member
    • MY MUSIC

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2008, 10:53:43 PM »
Yep! Booty's booty Christian or non! Same temptations and Christians go on with the same stuff as the secular, the only difference is that we lie to ourselves and try to hide it until someone get pregnant or is found dead from an over dose! You have to grow as soldiers and get strong....You will fail at times we all do!!!! BUT that's why Jesus DIED!!!! I 100% agree BUT you are a man, human and you will always be!!! I love big butts and I can not lie, but Im not an animal that I cant control myself and stay focused as a Christian, even if the other head wants to take a look at the candy.

ROTFL!! :D Man, I feel what your saying.

Ill keep it real, when it comes to girls, im weak in that area. Yall please keep a brutha in prayer.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2008, 10:57:05 PM »
This is sort of confusing......Some ppl say God sent them into the secular field to do some work for him but do you really have to play with the artist to witness to them? Or are you doing that on your own terms? Is that the only way? Im seriously asking cuz i wanna know but let me stop before somebody say "dont judge(stop snitchin)" ::)

Yes. You can understand how it is to be in it, unless you're in it. Witnessing to them is mostly done by your actions, words, choices.....Really on some secular gigs (just like any work place) if you get too godly and preachy/holier than thou you will be asked to leave (fired). Just like on any secular job or work place you have to use tact when trying to preach Christ... God is and gods are unprofessional at the work place... We preach to them by how we live our lives, yes you can mention Church in a conversation and watch how its caught be the listener, "What!? You go to Church!? My answer; Yes I do, Im a drummer and bassist there. (Secular artist usually answer)Wow you are!? I use to go but someone did something or they stop believing, my parents use to go, Ive been thinking about going again. And that's when I give them the chance to come with me and my family to Church.

From that point the seeds been planted and it will spread among the other singers and musicians...The most important thing that Ive found is that just loving them and not judging their past or who they are now like other Christians have will make them open up and have a trust in you more then they do with any of the other musicians and singers. That's why its so important not to stumble in front of them or your whole testimony is shot and you turn into just another one of those hypocrites!!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2008, 10:57:53 PM »
QC, I truly believe that your heart is in the right place lil bro. I'll share this with you real quick...
I play in restaurants, clubs, festivals (big and small), wedding, parties, and of course chruch, and you will never get that same feeling playing in the club as you do playing for God in chruch or wherever.  The last club gig I had was cool up to a certain point. I HATED playing some of that music, it got sooo boring and wack. But, like BBD stated, you just got to be a professional, pay your dues if you and suck it up want to work as a pro level musician. But for you, I wouldn't even go there with the secular genre at this point in your walk with Christ. I believe God has put something in you and you are very aware of it and it's power. Listen to your heart and forget what all the mess. Only what we do for God will last. :)

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2008, 10:59:27 PM »

Ill keep it real, when it comes to girls, im weak in that area. Yall please keep a brutha in prayer.

Haha, you are a MAN lil bro :D.!!! I'll be praying for ya ;) ;D

Offline LittleDrummerBoyy

• LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2008, 07:36:08 AM »
If you look at alot of your favorite drummers is from church and played R&B,jazz,hiphop,etc such as Aaron Spears,Teddy Campbell,Spanky,Calvin Rodgers,Rex Hardy,Kahari Parker,Nassan Stuward, and a lot more its all how you carry your self as a christian musician some times you just have to choose the gigs you take but like it was said no matter what you choose temptation is at church to there the worse one,s stay bless

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2008, 09:07:06 AM »
QC, I truly believe that your heart is in the right place lil bro. I'll share this with you real quick...
 Listen to your heart and forget what all the mess. Only what we do for God will last. :)

Thanks man. The thing is I respect everybody's decision to do as they feel led. I'm a big believer in doing as you are led, no matter what it is!  Because I know that we are all headed in different directions in life. When Lots family was fleeing Sodom, just maybe there was another family who was fleeing too and they got to look back as much as they wanted to. But for some reason, God gave specific directions to this one particular family because He knew where He wanted to take them, and they might not have been able to handle it had they been looking back wondering what is going on in Sodom.

I mean the Bible does say that if your hand leads you to sin then to cut it off! Plain in simple. It however DOES NOT say "If your hand leads you sin, don't be a wimp, and the Lord will give you the strength to just say no!"  He saying in that passage that there will be some people who will need to go to drastic measures to stay away from sin.  If there weren't going to be people like this, then He wouldn't have said it! Everybody is different, so if you don't need to cut off your hand, then that is great! But what is the problem with people who do? Is this not what the Bible says? That is the guide to every situation we will face in life. We have to stop turning our OPINIONS into our guides.

There is temptation all over the place! Yes even in church! The devil is doing his job! He's putting in overtime with me, and I don't mind that one bit. I'm going to make his job twice as hard. But as long as I'm not helping him out in any way then I'll be just fine.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »
Following Temptation is a choice we make in our free will. When our faith or flesh, our discipline is weak God is strong (the Bible does tell us this).

Unless we are full-time Ministers we all have secular gigs/jobs and throughout these there is temptation even from things that we have been delivered from. We are our own (individual) lusts so we cannot lump every man/male into chasing women, for some its money, others its power, some spotlight etc. Whatever it is we have to make a choice.

We cannot condemn nor discount the efforts nor testimonies of musicians such as Zorro, Sheila E., Vinnie, Luis Conte, Alex Acuna, Chris Coleman and countless others whom hold down secular music gigs and maintain their witness and ministry. We overcome by the blood of the lamb and the strength/power of our testimonies. Let your testimony be that you keep your commitments, you work as to the Lord, that you are diligent in your business that you may stand before great men, that you are fruitful and that you glorify the Father by walking in the image and authority of His Son.

Often here in the drum room we glorify weaknesses in ourselves, our studies, preparations, skill sets rather proving NOW the principles of God that ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH CHRIST who strengthens us. We don't embrace mind renewal and mentorship nor discipline to music and ministry through music. We can post sheds but not clinics or worship leader training conferences. This is the point that I myself and I believe audiocr8tive and others were making based on the initial post.

I think that a lot of people gained from this topic. Now let's meditate on it.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2008, 12:55:55 PM »
Following Temptation is a choice we make in our free will. When our faith or flesh, our discipline is weak God is strong (the Bible does tell us this).

Yes it does say this. But it does not say, for you to go out and put yourself in these situations. This is the point I'm trying to make. For every Chris Coleman and Aaron Spears, there's a thousand others who tried to make it, but fell apart because they were not strong enough to handle the things that came with the territory. That includes the money, the women, ey ithe drinking, the cursing, the secular lifestyle in general. Sure Teddy Campbell did not fall into this, and niether did Gerald, or Aaron. You can tell those guys have real genuine spirits. But that is only a small example. There are thousands of others who did not reach there full potential because of wanting to be like those guys, and they just weren't strong like them, because they are not them.  Those are the people I am trying to reach. Because they know they hear that voice in the back of there head, but because they are chasing after that dream, they forget to look at the bigger picture.

Sadly enough................This is tough for me to say.......but for most of us, our destiny has nothing to do with drums! It took me a long time to realize this, because I can not imagine life without a pair of sticks in my hand. For most of us, God has planted such a greatness in us, that it goes beyond sitting behind a drumset for the rest of our lives. We have to start utilizing all the gifts he gave us. And not just one.

And you are truely right. People have learned from this topic. Because just from posting, that got me to think about alot of things that I otherwise wouldn't have thought about before. This website is fantastic in every aspect of the imagination. I'm glad to hear the different viewpoints of other musicians around the country. I don't think anything anybody has to say on here his stupid. Because if I didn't want to hear anybody else's opinion I wouldn't get on the internet and click on the topics and read what they have to say.

LGM is great! much love!

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2008, 03:21:42 PM »
I'm frustrated when I hear stuff like "I can't play anything but Christian music." Or "I can't go there because I'm a Christian." Or "I can't do that because I'm Christian."

We all can do whatever we want.....it's our choice not to do certian things.....if you're led by the spirit..you can't go wrong...and you won't be going or doing anything that does not please God...
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2008, 03:30:41 PM »
[quote author=soul_drummer
We all can do whatever we want.....it's our choice not to do certian things.....if you're led by the spirit..you can't go wrong...and you won't be going or doing anything that does not please God...
[/quote]

Couldn't have said it any better.

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2008, 05:53:52 PM »

I agree. But you quoted me out of context. The frustration comes from a way of thinking that is off. What you said is very good, very true, and clear, the problem is people who are supposedly being led are saying things that sound off to me, and Sabe elaborated very well. In the end, I do hope we all learn from this thread, and I praise God that we all love Him, and are learning and that is what is most important.

Yes it does say this. But it does not say, for you to go out and put yourself in these situations. This is the point I'm trying to make. For every Chris Coleman and Aaron Spears, there's a thousand others who tried to make it, but fell apart because they were not strong enough to handle the things that came with the territory. That includes the money, the women, ey ithe drinking, the cursing, the secular lifestyle in general. Sure Teddy Campbell did not fall into this, and niether did Gerald, or Aaron. You can tell those guys have real genuine spirits. But that is only a small example. There are thousands of others who did not reach there full potential because of wanting to be like those guys, and they just weren't strong like them, because they are not them.  Those are the people I am trying to reach. Because they know they hear that voice in the back of there head, but because they are chasing after that dream, they forget to look at the bigger picture.

Sadly enough................This is tough for me to say.......but for most of us, our destiny has nothing to do with drums! It took me a long time to realize this, because I can not imagine life without a pair of sticks in my hand. For most of us, God has planted such a greatness in us, that it goes beyond sitting behind a drumset for the rest of our lives. We have to start utilizing all the gifts he gave us. And not just one.

And you are truely right. People have learned from this topic. Because just from posting, that got me to think about alot of things that I otherwise wouldn't have thought about before. This website is fantastic in every aspect of the imagination. I'm glad to hear the different viewpoints of other musicians around the country. I don't think anything anybody has to say on here his stupid. Because if I didn't want to hear anybody else's opinion I wouldn't get on the internet and click on the topics and read what they have to say.

LGM is great! much love!

First I want to say I understand what you're saying. You have a good heart. I wasn't fully understanding what you meant in the first paragraph. Elaboration maybe?

Dude, we all are. But let me give you a different viewpoint you may not have seen before that may help you in this area.

When you truly fall in love with a person, I believe that person should be the only one you lay your eyes on. Not because being in love came with that rule, but purely out of true love, when the temptation comes, you look away. You look away because you know, and we all know, it's always %100 lust. You look away because you found the women of your dreams, and because you know she wouldn't want that going on in your head. It should be the same way when you fall in love with Jesus.

If the reason behind turning your head is because you know the rule, your wrong. You just changed a behavior. I would even say that a person must not know Him that well (we're all learning). When you turn your head after being tempted because you've actually seen who Jesus is, what He did, why He did it, and how much He loves you, THAT is when your mind has been renewed. When you make the decision not to look purely because you LOVE HIM, that's when you know that you know you have a real breathing, moving, relationship with Jesus.

I didn't intend for this, but what I just said has been the main point I've been trying to get across, although it's a point the topic has drifted me off into. Have our minds really been renewed?
Aye man, people are built different. I been to clubs/jams/parties and I know and have participated in what goes on there. Why would I wanna go back, its like a dog returning to its vomit. Its true that all these temptations are out there and i get my fair share (being that I'm still in highschool). I already got enough, why do I wanna give myself more? ?/? :-\...Does'nt make sense to me. Why walk on the edge of a freeway when the sidewalk is there?? And you looking people walking the sidewalk and busy callin them whimps. Before you know it, a Semi come lick you down! (not directed at you, its just an analogy). But if you can handle it, go ahead I aint knockin anybody who plays at the clubs. God gives some people more strength in certain areas than others.

Peace 8) 8)

God is no respecter of persons. Why would he give you more strength not to look at women than me? That would be playing favorites. I get to struggle with lust my whole life while you sit there with "more strength" ? Now that doesn't make sense.

The last club I played at was B.B Kings in Hollywood. Our entire set was full of encouraging words, our last song was "Awesome God" by Kirk Franklin. We took the gig not only to speak light into the dark places, but to raise awareness for our non-profit group that pulls kids of the streets and teaches them music. What frustrated me was the people who questioned "why did you have to play there? Don't you know there is alcohol being served there? Isn't that a club?"

I know this isn't relevant to the topic starters situation, and I'm sorry for the novel, but while this is right...

...everything comes down to our heart posture, our personal "why", which only WE are accountable for and is the reason I'm challenging all of us to renew our minds. Wheww... *brushes sweat off forehead and takes a nap*  ;D

Sabe could of said this in 3 sentences, I don't have the vocab like he does, sorry for the novel guys.  ;)

Offline b_jizzle20

• LGM Member
    • MY MUSIC

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2008, 06:46:47 PM »

Dude, we all are. But let me give you a different viewpoint you may not have seen before that may help you in this area.

When you truly fall in love with a person, I believe that person should be the only one you lay your eyes on. Not because being in love came with that rule, but purely out of true love, when the temptation comes, you look away. You look away because you know, and we all know, it's always %100 lust. You look away because you found the women of your dreams, and because you know she wouldn't want that going on in your head. It should be the same way when you fall in love with Jesus.

If the reason behind turning your head is because you know the rule, your wrong. You just changed a behavior. I would even say that a person must not know Him that well (we're all learning). When you turn your head after being tempted because you've actually seen who Jesus is, what He did, why He did it, and how much He loves you, THAT is when your mind has been renewed. When you make the decision not to look purely because you LOVE HIM, that's when you know that you know you have a real breathing, moving, relationship with Jesus.

I didn't intend for this, but what I just said has been the main point I've been trying to get across, although it's a point the topic has drifted me off into. Have our minds really been renewed?

Thats why I said pray for me. ;)

God is no respecter of persons. Why would he give you more strength not to look at women than me? That would be playing favorites. I get to struggle with lust my whole life while you sit there with "more strength" ? Now that doesn't make sense.

So basically what your sayin in this post is that God made everybody the same???? Look man, God equips every individual differently. Some of the trials a Christian may face in China are alot different than I would face here in Canada so He equips us accordingly. Not every minister is emotionally and mentally equipped to do evangelical/missionary work in the jungles of Africa, thats why He makes us DIFFERENT.

Maybe based on my circumstances I might need "more strength" because it requires more strength.

Anyway I aint got nothin "good" to in club (Im not even good enough to play drums at that level yet) so in not gonna go. If you got work to do and your positively influencing people then go ahead. I wasn't knockin anybody for that.

Peace 8)

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2008, 07:42:12 PM »
You ain't feelin' me man! It's all good. In the words of Tupac, "I ain't got nothin but love for ya" haha  ;D

Offline b_jizzle20

• LGM Member
    • MY MUSIC

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2008, 10:00:23 PM »
You ain't feelin' me man! It's all good. In the words of Tupac, "I ain't got nothin but love for ya" haha  ;D

LOL Yah man, I think we should agree to disagree or else we could go on for a good 3 more pages. Do your thing Bro, cuz in the end, its God who see's our hearts. 8)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2008, 08:38:07 AM »
lol, I promise I won't keep dragging this topic on, but since we are not arguing and everybody's cool. I think it is good we see each other's viewpoints.

I do see what AUDIO is saying....... and basically we all do have the same amount of strength. While that is true, we all have VERY DIFFERENT PASTS. This is where the differentiallity comes in. Some of us were so far into the world that it is harder to get away from it that somebody who's never really been out there.

For instance, if I go to England, stay for a week then leave. I won't miss England at all. I won't even think about it. But if someone who has lived in England for 20 years had to leave, they would be a little more devastated. Every picture they saw of that town would remind them of the past, and what it would be like if they were go back. Thats why it would be best not to even look at a picture of the Big ben clock. On top of this, I won't even go into generational curses. That is something very very real.  You see what I'm saying?

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »
I agree. But you quoted me out of context. The frustration comes from a way of thinking that is off. What you said is very good, very true, and clear, the problem is people who are supposedly being led are saying things that sound off to me, and Sabe elaborated very well. In the end, I do hope we all learn from this thread, and I praise God that we all love Him, and are learning and that is what is most important.

I do know what you mean.....you mean when people limit thmeselves to only playing a certain type of music.....right?...if that's right.....I also hate when I hear people say that...because by saying that they limit themselves in general musically.....what I posted was more of a general thing..........when you played at the B.B. kings thing it was different because you were playing for a christian artist and spreading God's message...it's different when you play for an artist that does not glirify God and sings or raps about all this nonsense in their songs......I totally know what you mean though dude....
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up