LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the magical amount¿  (Read 2186 times)

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

What's the magical amount¿
« on: April 11, 2008, 06:30:09 AM »
I wanted to get your ideas on what you think should be the number of singers before you define yourself a choir.  I will hear some people state that they direct a choir, but it'll have like 4 members in it.

So.....how many singers should there be before you define yourself a choir¿
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: What's the magical amount?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 06:34:30 AM »
I'd say around 8, because that is too many people for a praise team. IMO

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 07:13:19 AM »

?/? That's less than 3 people per part.  :-\

I'd say at around 15 people. That's 5 to a part. I guess it may also depend on the size of the sanctuary.  :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: What's the magical amount¿
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 07:54:50 AM »
?/? That's less than 3 people per part.  :-\

I'd say at around 15 people. That's 5 to a part. I guess it may also depend on the size of the sanctuary.  :D

I'm no choirmaster, but I think it also depends on how strong the voices are and how skilled each member is. There are some 7 or 8 member groups that sound more full than 15 or 20 member groups. Quality over quantity

VT, Why are your question marks always upside down¿

Tiptip357

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:05:09 AM »
I'm no choirmaster, but I think it also depends on how strong the voices are and how skilled each member is. There are some 7 or 8 member groups that sound more full than 15 or 20 member groups. Quality over quantity

VT, Why are your question marks always upside down?

I have to agree...
       In most of the churches that I've been to, my mom was the praise and worship leader and we always had 7 on the team. Our voices were full enough and our sounds could carry. Besides, when we had a song, we put the songs on the screen and once the congregation got used to a new song or if they already knew it, they'll join in singing just as loud and fortunately, most of them were on pitch... ;D

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 08:10:29 AM »

VT, Why are your question marks always upside down¿

While I agree that 7 or 8 strong voices can carry the music, VT's question didn't ask about the quality of the voices.  :-\

And, depending on the person working with the 15 or 20, they could sound like 50. ;) :D

Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 08:12:55 AM »
  I have to agree...
       In most of the churches that I've been to, my mom was the praise and worship leader and we always had 7 on the team. Our voices were full enough and our sounds could carry. Besides, when we had a song, we put the songs on the screen and once the congregation got used to a new song or if they already knew it, they'll join in singing just as loud and fortunately, most of them were on pitch... ;D

We are getting our screens put up next week. Two in the front for the congregation, and one in the back for the choir/P+W. I dont know why more churches dont do that.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 08:56:39 AM »
We are getting our screens put up next week. Two in the front for the congregation, and one in the back for the choir/P+W. I dont know why more churches dont do that.

It. costs. money. ::) :-\

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 09:03:44 AM »

Its costing us 6000 for 3 plasmas, Laptop, computer program and installation.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 09:39:19 AM »
Its costing us 6000 for 3 plasmas, Laptop, computer program and installation.

You're making my point. ::)

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »

....and this is what I've always thought.  Anything between 8-14 is moreso considered a chorale.  I'm not talking about the quality either.  I know some 3 voice groups that can take a 50 person choir in terms of quality.

As far as the upside down question marks.....that is a trademark that I've been doing for YEARS.  Having this loaner Mac at home is kind of messing with the trademark.

It's no different from your trademark....which is ......well you know :)
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 11:49:37 AM »
....and this is what I've always thought.  Anything between 8-14 is moreso considered a chorale.  I'm not talking about the quality either.  I know some 3 voice groups that can take a 50 person choir in terms of quality.

As far as the upside down question marks.....that is a trademark that I've been doing for YEARS.  Having this loaner Mac at home is kind of messing with the trademark.

It's no different from your trademark....which is ......well you know :)

Indeed.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 11:59:36 AM »
12...that's how many we had at Choir rehearsal last night...on a good day it's 15-20...

Offline Formuzik

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 02:28:54 PM »
scholastically speaking:

1- solo
2- duo (duet is the musical performance)
3- trio
4- quartet
5- quintet
6- sextet
7- septet
8- octet
9 - 12 ensemble
13- 20 chorale
above 20 choir

Chorale can be any number of singers taken from a large choir  such as, taking 50 voices from a 100 voice choir.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 07:34:47 AM »

EXACTLY, some churches can barely keep up with the rent, let alone buy big screen T.V.'s..  Every church ain't like yours man. ;)
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 02:01:19 PM »
EXACTLY, some churches can barely keep up with the rent, let alone buy big screen T.V.'s..  Every church ain't like yours man. ;)

It aint easy for them either, but thats what they really wanted to do. the worship dept is still raising funds to put them up. I just play there so I dont know why the church isnt footing the bill.......

I guess it comes down to the churches priorities

Offline divinemusician

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Striving to be a Proverbs 31
    • www.freewebs.com/lkdesignandprm

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 08:46:30 PM »
scholastically speaking:

1- solo
2- duo (duet is the musical performance)
3- trio
4- quartet
5- quintet
6- sextet
7- septet
8- octet
9 - 12 ensemble
13- 20 chorale
above 20 choir

Chorale can be any number of singers taken from a large choir  such as, taking 50 voices from a 100 voice choir.

just what i was going to say...

DivineMusician
1Love
My Praise is high and my worship is deep. God you have been so good to ME.

Offline GRACENOTE

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
I think that it depends on the task that they are doin.
 If a group of people are opening up service with praise and worship then they are probably a Praise Team.
If a group of people are singin and A or B selection, they are problably a choir. But then I would also say that it depends on the size of the church(meaning amount of members). If the church has 5000 members you cant it to have a small praise team. or a small choir.
Now if yo church only has 20 members then you know that the big sista thats at the front of the church is the praise team. LOL (I miss thoughs days)

Offline phatstrings

• LGM Member
  • ..dreaming about you.
    • Phatstrings

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »
I'll say at least 15
i shall not die but live!

Pages: [1]   Go Up