LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eight-Note Triplets  (Read 3565 times)

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Eight-Note Triplets
« on: April 26, 2008, 11:16:51 AM »
I am currently learning to play ?Amazing Grace? by John Newton, J. Carrell & D. Clayton Arr. By P. M. & L.  This song is teaching theory and technique of  playing Eight-Notes Triplets.  As I was practicing this song, a question came to mind.  If I were playing this song by chords instead of sheet music, how would I know when to play Eight-Note triplets, if I never heard this song before? 
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Eight-Note Triplets
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 01:04:40 PM »
If I were playing this song by chords instead of sheet music, how would I know when to play Eight-Note triplets, if I never heard this song before? 

You would know when to play those notes by following the melody of the song.  They would be like the little melody notes on top of your chords.  Example:

G / B-D-G, A, C
C / E-G-C

In this example, your eighth note triplet would be the G, A, and C notes.  Does that make sense?
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »
yes, thank you a bunch.  Very clear now. :)
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 08:45:19 AM »
I had also wanted to ask how everything is going with your lessons. I desperately want to have a real teacher teach me sight reading and all that but am not sure if its too late or not.

How is it going? What do you reccomend?
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:28:25 AM »
I had also wanted to ask how everything is going with your lessons. I desperately want to have a real teacher teach me sight reading and all that but am not sure if its too late or not.

How is it going? Great!  I am playing hymns.  I am so excited.  I have learnt the keys of Cmaj, Fmaj, Gmaj, Dmin, and Amin. 

I am getting ready for another recital May 20th. 

What do you reccomend? I recommend that you go ahead and get a teacher.  Why would you think it is to late? [/color]

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:33:16 AM »
Thanks a lot. I really want to start playing classical music and hymns and all. I can sight read but it is really slow going. I guess my main hesitation was that he would make me start off with Mary Had a Little Lamb or some such. I've decided if that's what it takes, then so be it. :)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:03:37 AM »
I guess my main hesitation was that he would make me start off with Mary Had a Little Lamb or some such. I've decided if that's what it takes, then so be it. :)

Come on man, u know u gotta start at the bottom with anything.  ;)

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:18:06 AM »
Come on man, u know u gotta start at the bottom with anything.  ;)

I know man. Thing is, cuz i've been playing in church and have gotten better by ear and all that, starting off from fresh is gonna be very daunting. I'll do it though.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:22:34 AM »
I know man. Thing is, cuz i've been playing in church and have gotten better by ear and all that, starting off from fresh is gonna be very daunting. I'll do it though.

You will only have to play Mary Had A Little Lamb once, unless you don't get it right the first time. :D

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »

The problem is u focusing too much on what u are going to be playing instead of the technique/skill behind it.  Playing easy songs by ear can't (shouldn't) be compared to sight-reading them.  Those are 2 different skills that u should see as separate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up