LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slash Chord / Upper Structure Chart #2 - Four Part Chords Over Root  (Read 12178 times)

Offline DaNatiMaestro

• LGM Member
  • It's good to be BACK!!

I got the explanation out the way in Chart #1 so I'll just get right to it.

FOUR PART CHORDS OVER ROOT - Chord Voicings

REMEMBER: for these chords you'll want to play a 4-note chord in your RH over your root in the LH.  Also you can invert that chord in your RH to any inversion you'd like unless otherwise noted.

Em7 / C = Cmaj9       spelled out..  C/EGBD
note: another way to think about this one is to play a minor 7th chord off of the 3rd in your RH and the root in your LH

Ebmaj7 / C = Cm9     spelled out.. C/EbGBbD
note: another way to think about this one is to play a major 7th chord off the minor 3rd in your RH and the root in your LH

Bm7b5 / G = G9         spelled out.. G/BDFA
note: another way to think about this one is to play a minor 7 flat 5 chord off the 3rd in your RH and the root in your LH

Fmaj7b5 / G = G13     spelled out.. G/FABE
note: another way to think about this one is to play a major 7 flat 5 chord off the flat 7 in your RH and the root in your LH
note: only root and 2nd inversion should be used on the chord in the RH

Dm7 / G = G9sus4 or G11  <-- this is a HOT chord that I use all the time I substitute the 3 chord in a 3-6-2 progression for this sus chord (I'll post this later)
note: another way to think about this one is to play a minor 7th chord off the 5th in your RH and the root in your LH
note: spelled out.. G/DFAC

Fmaj7 / G = G13sus4  <-- Another HOT chord I use a lot too.  I substitute the 5 chord in a 2-5-1 progression for this sus chord
note: another way to think about this one is to play a major 7th chord off the flat 7 in your RH and the root in your LH
note: spelled out.. G/FACE

Fm7b5 / G = G7 (b9 #5)
note: another way to think about this one is to play a minor 7 flat 5 chord off the flat 7 in your RH and the root in your LH
note: spelled out.. G/FAbBEb

Bmaj7b5 / G = G7 (#9 #5)
note: another way to think about this one is to play a major 7 flat 5 chord off the 3rd in your RH and the root in your LH
note: only root position should be used on the chord in the RH
note: spelled out.. G/BD#FA# or G/BEbFBb (the first way is the best way to look at it b/c you can see that the 9 and 5 are sharped)

Fmaj7#5 / G = G13 (#11)
note: another way to think about this one is to play a major 7 sharp 5 chord off the flat 7 in your RH and the root in your LH
note: only root position should be used on the chord in the RH
note: spelled out.. G/FAC#E

Any questions or comments, please post them!

Dominant Upper Structures Chart is next!!

Thanks,
D
It's good to be BACK!!

Offline rayjohnson83

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/rayjohnson83

Re: Slash Chord / Upper Structure Chart #2 - Four Part Chords Over Root
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:50:25 AM »
this is great man. one day i wanna be like you ;D

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:47:12 AM »
Please keep 'em coming.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:41:50 AM »
This is ultra cool..

Thanks for the dummy's version of the chord chart ;D

I tried chord chart 1 stuff yesterday & it was reinvogorating.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 08:01:25 AM »
OK Imma BUMP this thread up.

You are BLESSED!!!! I got home and tried this out, now i can make chords ON THE FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to have trouble remembering things like voicings for m7 chords. Man when i got home i just tore up the keys. I could instantly find m7 chords, 9 chords...it was excellent!!!! Thank you again, you are indeed blessed.

We should sticky this and remove some of the other stickies up there.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:10:03 AM »

You are BLESSED!!!! I got home and tried this out, now i can make chords ON THE FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to have trouble remembering things like voicings for m7 chords. Man when i got home i just tore up the keys. I could instantly find m7 chords, 9 chords...it was excellent!!!! Thank you again, you are indeed blessed.

I see U want to hijack this thread like the norm ;D I have an idea... Why don't we romove U from instead of removing the other stickied topics ;)

Offline DaNatiMaestro

• LGM Member
  • It's good to be BACK!!

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 11:27:43 AM »

I'm glad these charts are being a blessing to you.  That is what it's all about!!

More great info will be on the way.  As God gives it to me, I give it right back in these posts!!

Oh yeah it's awesome to be able to QUICKLY fly through chord progressions in difficult keys and SOUND GOOD because you know these formulas.  It's important to know that a major 9 chord is 1-3-5-7-9 but it's hard to play that when you're in a tough key on the fly.  You don't always have the time to think about the numbers. Ya know?

This chart will help you to PLAY because you have formulas to play these chords in ANY key very quickly!!!
It's good to be BACK!!

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 12:20:03 PM »
I'm glad these charts are being a blessing to you.  That is what it's all about!!

More great info will be on the way.  As God gives it to me, I give it right back in these posts!!

Oh yeah it's awesome to be able to QUICKLY fly through chord progressions in difficult keys and SOUND GOOD because you know these formulas.  It's important to know that a major 9 chord is 1-3-5-7-9 but it's hard to play that when you're in a tough key on the fly.  You don't always have the time to think about the numbers. Ya know?

This chart will help you to PLAY because you have formulas to play these chords in ANY key very quickly!!!

Thats the truth right there. I know the formulas, i just find it hard to quickly play the voicings. I especially had a hard time with m7 chords in keys other than A minor. When i applied this formula, i could instantly play m7ths in Ab, Gb...you name it.

I sound like an infomercial. :)

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 01:53:28 PM »

Inasmuch as I like to agree with JR, I have to disagree this time..
With enough practice (& it doesn't take long!!), the time it takes you to recognize the notes when playing in any given key is the time it takes to recognize the numbers..

If 1 intends to adopt the number system, I encourage them to put their all into it & they won't regret it..just like you put your all when you were learning to identify your 12 different notes..Only trick here is to be familiar with all the numbers in 12 major keys..
I'm sure we your brain is capable of doing just that with some lil effort every week..
Numbers are only a true reflection of how well you can recall your scales..& it's the last thing you want to not know your major scales back & forth :-\

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 02:15:41 PM »
You know the people that scare me the most? Folks who have NO CLUE what they are playing. I saw this dude at Guitar Center and he was ripping the keys. I asked him to show me and this dude said he had no idea. He had just memorized the chord shapes for the song.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 02:29:51 PM »
You know the people that scare me the most? Folks who have NO CLUE what they are playing. I saw this dude at Guitar Center and he was ripping the keys. I asked him to show me and this dude said he had no idea. He had just memorized the chord shapes for the song.

hehehe :D But did he at least show U what he had done so U could grasp it using theory?

What I find mind-boggling as well is how some people can be content playing stuff without understanding it for many a long time when there are so many ways 1 can learn the theory nowadays..but that's ok..what's worse is when some1 is showing you something & the moment you try to apply theory to it, they wann2 strangle you bcos they think u want2 impose it upon them..

I guess we are all entitled to what works 4 us best. :-\

Offline DaNatiMaestro

• LGM Member
  • It's good to be BACK!!

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 03:05:32 PM »
hehehe :D But did he at least show U what he had done so U could grasp it using theory?

What I find mind-boggling as well is how some people can be content playing stuff without understanding it for many a long time when there are so many ways 1 can learn the theory nowadays..but that's ok..what's worse is when some1 is showing you something & the moment you try to apply theory to it, they wann2 strangle you bcos they think u want2 impose it upon them..

I guess we are all entitled to what works 4 us best. :-\

Exactly my brother! 

What works for you works for you.  We can certainly agree to disagree.  I just like the idea of having the option of using the numbers or the slash chord formulas.  For me it's easier to construct a chord mid-song in a weird key using slash chords then to try and say what's the 1-3-#5-b7-#9 to play a dominant 7th #5 #9 and then guess what you still have to voice it correctly MID-SONG during a performance.

Now knowing your theory is SUPER important and I stressed that in the 1st chord chart.  To be honest you shouldn't even use these charts until you know the basics.  Because it's kinda like cheating even though when you know your theory these charts are more like a reference guide. LOL

Also, another reason why I like to think slash chords is during my MD responsibilities.. it's easier to say to the whole band during this part to play a Cm7 over F then to say play a F9 sus4 chord here.  Unfortunately with the band member that I have around me sometimes everybody does not know their theory and they will feel like you're trying to overwhelm them.  With slash chords, that's no problem you can give them either the easy slash chord way or the full blown theory way.

The bottom line is TO BE ABLE TO PLAY!  Knowing theory is awesome but if you can't use it practically, what's the point? Ya know?
It's good to be BACK!!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 10:16:09 AM »
Exactly my brother! 

What works for you works for you.  We can certainly agree to disagree.  I just like the idea of having the option of using the numbers or the slash chord formulas.  For me it's easier to construct a chord mid-song in a weird key using slash chords then to try and say what's the 1-3-#5-b7-#9 to play a dominant 7th #5 #9 and then guess what you still have to voice it correctly MID-SONG during a performance.

Now knowing your theory is SUPER important and I stressed that in the 1st chord chart.  To be honest you shouldn't even use these charts until you know the basics.  Because it's kinda like cheating even though when you know your theory these charts are more like a reference guide. LOL

Also, another reason why I like to think slash chords is during my MD responsibilities.. it's easier to say to the whole band during this part to play a Cm7 over F then to say play a F9 sus4 chord here.  Unfortunately with the band member that I have around me sometimes everybody does not know their theory and they will feel like you're trying to overwhelm them.  With slash chords, that's no problem you can give them either the easy slash chord way or the full blown theory way.

The bottom line is TO BE ABLE TO PLAY!  Knowing theory is awesome but if you can't use it practically, what's the point? Ya know?

U'r very rite man!!!

I love slash chords btw because U know exactly what to do with both hands..

Keep them coming man :)

Offline Ladyn

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 09:32:50 AM »
Thanks a lot for this!! I use some of these chords already, but I never thought of them in this particular way before.  I would like to give a different voicing for the Cm9 that will lead you straight to its (4) F6/9 by only changing one note.  I learned this using my course from Jermaine Griggs. 

C/Bb D Eb G (C over EbM7)
F/A D Eb G 

The only note I changed was the Bb to an A. So take any min 9 and voice it this way and only change the flat 7th  by one half step down.  I'll give it to you in Eb

Eb/Db F Gb Bb (Eb over GbM7)
Ab/C F Gb Bb

I hope I made sense.  If not let me know and I will attempt to explain it better.   

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
Thanks a lot for this!! I use some of these chords already, but I never thought of them in this particular way before.  I would like to give a different voicing for the Cm9 that will lead you straight to its (4) F6/9 by only changing one note.  I learned this using my course from Jermaine Griggs. 

C/Bb D Eb G (C over EbM7)
F/A D Eb G 

The only note I changed was the Bb to an A. So take any min 9 and voice it this way and only change the flat 7th  by one half step down.  I'll give it to you in Eb

Eb/Db F Gb Bb (Eb over GbM7)
Ab/C F Gb Bb

I hope I made sense.  If not let me know and I will attempt to explain it better.   

That...was...good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this site, i really do. I'm still looking for that beast potion though. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up