LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calling all sound guru's (help pleazzzzzze)  (Read 2051 times)

Offline earlk

• LGM Member
    • http://

Calling all sound guru's (help pleazzzzzze)
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:48:24 AM »
Hey Lgm. Please pray for me i need encouragement and strength and the fruit of the spirit and so forth. :'( :'( :'(........

Its either that or I take the sound engineer out of the game and it wont be pretty.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am at a new church in my area.
I am truly blessed. its a really nice church. the biggest i have seen so far about 5000 seater. (STILL I ALWAYS ONLY PLAY FOR AN AUDIENCE OF ONE).......the point im trying to make is that their facilties are top notch.

here is where the strenth and help part comes in. the drummers use headphones. they have a "hearback" system. and a bass shaker but i cant get used to it. to top it all off when i ask the sound guy for more bass guitar or keys or whateva he will turn something up on the sound desk but it wont be what i asked for.....and he will always give me two thumbs up and expect me to carry on.

a week ago i was playing at another church,,,and the drummer had a subwoofer (behind him) and a wedge monitor and I honestly think that this was the best sound i have heard in a long time. I have seen dvd's where the drummers have a woofer behind them and so forth

can anyone help with that. what is it used for why does it sound better than headphones

thanks earl

Offline stiksnmypocket

• LGM Member
    • Myspace

Re: Calling all sound guru's (help pleazzzzzze)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »
Hey Lgm. Please pray for me i need encouragement and strength and the fruit of the spirit and so forth. :'( :'( :'(........

Its either that or I take the sound engineer out of the game and it wont be pretty.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am truly blessed. its a really nice church. the biggest i have seen so far about 5000 seater. (STILL I ALWAYS ONLY PLAY FOR AN AUDIENCE OF ONE).......the point im trying to make is that their facilties are top notch.

here is where the strenth and help part comes in. the drummers use headphones. they have a "hearback" system. and a bass shaker but i cant get used to it. to top it all off when i ask the sound guy for more bass guitar or keys or whateva he will turn something up on the sound desk but it wont be what i asked for.....and he will always give me two thumbs up and expect me to carry on.

a week ago i was playing at another church,,,and the drummer had a subwoofer (behind him) and a wedge monitor and I honestly think that this was the best sound i have heard in a long time. I have seen dvd's where the drummers have a woofer behind them and so forth

can anyone help with that. what is it used for why does it sound better than headphones

thanks earl

what is this exactly? if the church has loot like this and they want all intrumentalist having headphones, suggest they invest in the Aviom system it is a great system and you control everything from vocals to guitar or whateva they have split, the aviom system is dope, get you some good in ears, dual split with bass and mids, they sound awesome, I have the M-audios, but as far as having a woofer and a full range, thats dope as well if you have a separate monitor mix, and the control guys gives you what you want no more no less and if you're willing to lose a little of your hearing.... :o
Do what you do, but do it well!!!

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »

what is this exactly? if the church has loot like this and they want all intrumentalist having headphones, suggest they invest in the Aviom system it is a great system and you control everything from vocals to guitar or whateva they have split, the aviom system is dope, get you some good in ears, dual split with bass and mids, they sound awesome, I have the M-audios, but as far as having a woofer and a full range, thats dope as well if you have a separate monitor mix, and the control guys gives you what you want no more no less and if you're willing to lose a little of your hearing.... :o
I second that emotion. The Aviom system is a bomb shell and would solve a lot of problems when it comes to musician mixes in churches. It also frees up the sound engineer to concentrate on the house mix. It's the next best thing to a band having it's own monitor mixing engineer. I fear that having a subwoofer and a standard monitor would contribute too much to stage noise. Stage noise is an ugly monster for sound guys. It reeks havoc on sound in the house. Before turning things up you may want to have the sound guy turn down some of the other signal so you can hear better what you want to hear. 99% of the time when a musician asks for more volume he's really saying "more clarity." Simply turning down some of the other signals in your monitor may solve your problem.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:22:06 PM »

thanks earl

To cut down on the number of wiring issues... noise on stage etc headphone/in-ear systems. Wedges only sound good to you because you are use to them. They actually do more damage to you hearing. You just have to take some time and work with the engineer on signals and what you need. Go early to rehearsals and work it out.

The Aviom is very good and allows you to control your own mix. You may have to make a personal investment in one. However, meet with the engineer.. let him know exactly what you need and when he has the settings correct. If this still does not work for you meet the MD and the engineer know at the same time and let them know that the current system is not working for you and that you would like to request a better option in the Aviom. Present them with all the info on the Aviom system. Best prices (2-3 different places) and a local sales contact. Show that you are knowledgable or at least have done you research and there is a benefit to the church for making the change. Also show your willingness to work on a viable solution to the betterment of all concerned.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 06:46:08 PM »
I try to get used to bad mixes as much as possible. I study the music so much that a nasty mix won't effect the tune I have in my head.

Lord knows even at a huge gig, mixes can still sound like crap.

Anyway, since it's your home church, WORK IT OUT! Get your voice heard.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 07:37:24 PM »

what is this exactly? if the church has loot like this and they want all instrumentalist having headphones, suggest they invest in the Aviom system it is a great system and you control everything from vocals to guitar or whatever they have split, the aviom system is dope, get you some good in ears, dual split with bass and mids, they sound awesome, I have the M-audios, but as far as having a woofer and a full range, that's dope as well if you have a separate monitor mix, and the control guys gives you what you want no more no less and if you're willing to lose a little of your hearing.... :o

Guy we are all slaves to the sound crew.....We have the Aviom and those goofs at the back have found new ways to even mess that up too...I said enough is enough and went out and bought a zoom processor for my bass. I got tired of people coming up to me saying my bass was too low or they could hear me when I slapped...Ive told the head goof at my Church to put compression on my bass but nope, so I now control all of that..BUT!!!! For some reason this Sunday I HAD NO DRUMS AT ALLL EVEN WHEN I HAD THEM CRANKED IN MY AVIOM!!!!! :-[  Ive said it over and over "Churches need to hire professional sound people!" We have ONE half decent sound guy and he's not even the main guy!!!! I think every year Church sound people have a national idiot convention to see and map out new ways and techniques to tick off the musicians!!! I got into a fight some years ago with one who has the king goof at my Church (he is now gone!) At the time we didn't have the Aviom system and came on stage in the middle of the song turned my amp down to three and threatened me that if I turned it up I wont be playing anymore!! Hell no! It was me and him!!! I cranked it back up so I can be heard...If I didn't do that the goofs at the back basically had me off and no one could hear me...Well a lot has changed since then and its way better but the goofs still run the show at the back!!!!

OKOK Im not done yet!!! Now the goofs have put the drums in a full enclosure.....Great but turn on the mics so the people could hear the drums and so they come through in the Avioms!! You try playing drums with the Vic Firth ISO head phones and have no drums in the mix!!! Lets just say the drums take a beating because you are trying of over compensate by hitting way harder then you need to!!!! If you do decide to kill yours please take one down for me!!!!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 12:00:58 AM »
Guy we are all slaves to the sound crew.....We have the Aviom and those goofs at the back have found new ways to even mess that up too...I said enough is enough and went out and bought a zoom processor for my bass. I got tired of people coming up to me saying my bass was too low or they could hear me when I slapped...Ive told the head goof at my Church to put compression on my bass but nope, so I now control all of that..BUT!!!! For some reason this Sunday I HAD NO DRUMS AT ALLL EVEN WHEN I HAD THEM CRANKED IN MY AVIOM!!!!! :-[  Ive said it over and over "Churches need to hire professional sound people!" We have ONE half decent sound guy and he's not even the main guy!!!! I think every year Church sound people have a national idiot convention to see and map out new ways and techniques to tick off the musicians!!! I got into a fight some years ago with one who has the king goof at my Church (he is now gone!) At the time we didn't have the Aviom system and came on stage in the middle of the song turned my amp down to three and threatened me that if I turned it up I wont be playing anymore!! Hell no! It was me and him!!! I cranked it back up so I can be heard...If I didn't do that the goofs at the back basically had me off and no one could hear me...Well a lot has changed since then and its way better but the goofs still run the show at the back!!!!

OKOK Im not done yet!!! Now the goofs have put the drums in a full enclosure.....Great but turn on the mics so the people could hear the drums and so they come through in the Avioms!! You try playing drums with the Vic Firth ISO head phones and have no drums in the mix!!! Lets just say the drums take a beating because you are trying of over compensate by hitting way harder then you need to!!!! If you do decide to kill yours please take one down for me!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Get 'em  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Get 'em  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :

Sorry man I was venting and someone turned on the fan!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 06:56:23 AM »

...ROTFLMBO!!  This is great.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 01:13:32 PM »
Some things aren't meant for us to experience hear on earth BBD.

Like professional sound guys at church!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 05:59:45 PM »
Some things aren't meant for us to experience hear on earth BBD.

Like professional sound guys at church!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't Pastor's really tend to their sheep by making sure (through trial and examination) that everyone serving in God's house is properly equipped (via the necessary/proper  and quality gear) and empowered through wise counsel/instruction so that the excellence they claim truly manifests? As well to insure that others will be raised up to serve those positions in the same or better excellence. Something about workmen unashamed seems to fit the subject... something else about your gift making room for you... or bearing much fruit (due to proper husbandry and pruining) rather than being likened to a soon to be cursed fig tree.

Offline earlk

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 01:24:10 AM »
Thanks guys. I been checking out the aviom system on the net. I will be at my guitar centre 2moro morning to check it out and demo it. I called them and they say they will get a demo for me. This way i will make a proposal to my MD and sound guys to also check it out as it will benefit us all.

BBD i feel u man!!!!!!! that IDIOT OF GOOF CONVENTION DOES EXIST. I sure it does how else could we explain it.

Sabe your right. i think sound is and should be treated like a ministry all on its own. A ministry that should support the worship experience!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the info guys  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up