LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is the spped coming from?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline splitleft

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Jesus is coming soon, does he know you?

Where is the spped coming from?
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:02:45 PM »
Where is the speed coming from. Brother and sister. What can I do to increase the speed. I feel like I'm running th 40 yard dish 14 flat! now that is slow for a 40. I'm every dixterty workout I can think of. any suggestions please help a brother out.It's frustrating not be able to play some basic stuff from studybass.com.

I thank you for any help.

splitleft

Offline splitleft

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Where is the speed coming from?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:10:08 PM »
edit speed

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

Re: Where is the spped coming from?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »
Split

I would say practice your scales until your fingers grow a mouth and say i'm tired.  Speed comes from a combination of knowing where you are going and practice. For example, I really did not notice my increase in speed until I had enough scales, riffs, and patterns down packed. Because once your fingers develop what I call motor memory (ie. Knowing where to go because you have done it so many times) you will see you have increased your speed. My guess is, your finger speed is probably faster than you think, you just need to get some patterns motor memorized and you will later say wow, did I just do that.
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline MrEdabass

• LGM Member
    • My youtube

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »
Split

I would say practice your scales until your fingers grow a mouth and say i'm tired.  Speed comes from a combination of knowing where you are going and practice. For example, I really did not notice my increase in speed until I had enough scales, riffs, and patterns down packed. Because once your fingers develop what I call motor memory (ie. Knowing where to go because you have done it so many times) you will see you have increased your speed. My guess is, your finger speed is probably faster than you think, you just need to get some patterns motor memorized and you will later say wow, did I just do that.

It's true its true its true, I shud start doing it myself.
Jesus

And you'll never find one greater

Offline fluteminstrel

• LGM Member
  • my bass

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:19:20 PM »
Split

maybe you are limiting our self you are thinking too much just react and it will come

Offline splitleft

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Where is the speed coming from?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:30:21 AM »
Ok, I will emphise more practice towards scales. The left hand just,Opps, I'm working on speaking life into what I want as well. The left hand is so fast I can't believe how much I got better.LoL.

Thanks Guys for the advise. I will continue to get better with the advise that was passed on.

God bless

Splitleft

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 05:03:06 PM »
Theres a saying we use in the military.  It goes "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".  What ever you work on, make sure you have it down slow first as well as smooth.  There are some songs Ive never practiced fast, but because Ive played them countless times, I can easily take them faster.  Confidence is also a factor in speed believe it or not.  You can have wicked speed and still be sloppy.  Alot of players dont get things down before they start trying to blaze super Jaco style.  Whether it be scales, dex. exercises, riffs, etc., take the time to get it down and tight.  Ive read where Thelonious Monk practiced one song for two hours straight.  I havent been that far, but Ive taken some dexterity exercises or lines and worked just one for 15-30 mins (if you watch the clock, that is a VERY long time for one thing).  I would run it very slow for about 5 min, then depending on how tight I have it, I would increase the metronome by 10-15 clicks then go another 5 minutes and so on. 
Praise Him!

Offline splitleft

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 05:38:19 PM »
Good advice, I guess the frustration kicked in and I want to be at a certain level. I know am knot where I was when I started.

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 06:33:47 PM »
Good advice, I guess the frustration kicked in and I want to be at a certain level. I know am knot where I was when I started.

Trust I understand.  I think sometimes it comes from hearing others via youtube, CD's, DVD's, etc.  We have to be careful to not slip into comparison thinking and comparing yourself to some of the things you hear.  That begins to mentally rush you and make you tell yourself you've got to hurry up and get better.  You just have to stay encouraged and understand that some of those guys have been playing forever and that everyone started as a beginner.  Also I tell myself as far as concerts and CD's go, they've played the song a million times in practice so of course the licks are sick LOL.  Anyway, its always best to have quality over quantity.  Trust, you'll get there and past it with out even realizing it.  God bless!
Praise Him!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:26:11 PM »
Trust I understand.  I think sometimes it comes from hearing others via youtube, CD's, DVD's, etc.  We have to be careful to not slip into comparison thinking and comparing yourself to some of the things you hear.  That begins to mentally rush you and make you tell yourself you've got to hurry up and get better.  You just have to stay encouraged and understand that some of those guys have been playing forever and that everyone started as a beginner.  Also I tell myself as far as concerts and CD's go, they've played the song a million times in practice so of course the licks are sick LOL.  Anyway, its always best to have quality over quantity.  Trust, you'll get there and past it with out even realizing it.  God bless!

A big +1 to that!  You can also experience those same feelings when you see other players locally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up