LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Let me try this again.) I'm not luthier, but  (Read 1157 times)

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

(Let me try this again.) I'm not luthier, but
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:49:04 AM »
Here's a bass that I've been working on for a minute... still needs some tweaking in.

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

Re: (Let me try this again.) I'm not luthier, but
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:01:18 AM »
...now that is fascinating!......did you make the body or buy it...tell us more....what about the neck?

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:05:49 AM »
The head stoc looks like a older model SX bass.  :o

Nice job, Looks good. How does it sound? 8)
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:10:55 AM »
I really don't know what the body is; I was told it was a 62 Fender by the guy who gave it to me, but there were characteristics that didn't line up.
For one, the edges were too round for a Fender, 2. the truss nut groove was too deep for a Fender, 3. it wasn't a solid body, it was layered - like plywood, 4. the thumb rest was above the strings - in 62 they were still putting the thumb rest below the strings, 5. the pickups had a "block/strip" type magnet underneath - Fender doesn't.
The neck was a New York Pro.

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
Nice job, Looks good. How does it sound? 8)

I'm still working on it. I had to take a crash course on soldering - I'll get back with you on that. I was trying to make up for some of the tone by getting a decent bridge, SD 1/4 pound pickups and some good string (ernie ball).

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:22:04 PM »
Nice work there.  Did you strip it down and completely refinish it?  How long did that take and how did you blend the burst?
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »
Nice work there.  Did you strip it down and completely refinish it?  How long did that take and how did you blend the burst?
It really didn't take that long to strip it (I used the stripper that bubbles up the paint). It was regular paint, it wasn't the thick acrylic paint. It didn't take long to blend the burst, I took some blend ideas from "project guitar" website. The big mistake that I made was choosing the wrong paint. As you see from the pics the black on the sunburst isn't that dark. I should've stopped, and redid the burst with a different paint, but I was hoping that the clear coats would make it darker...well that didn't happen.
When I started putting the tuners in the headstock, the clear coat started to crack so I redid the head with a different spray paint. That paint was the black that I should've use for the sunburst.
Pages: [1]   Go Up