LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheet Music- Two part writing  (Read 5145 times)

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Sheet Music- Two part writing
« on: May 10, 2008, 06:15:53 PM »
What is the theory for a two-part melody? 

When both parts are the same why have two notes when you only play them once?

Thank you in advance.
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Sheet Music- Two part writing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »

Thank you in advance.

I'm confused.  ?/?  Are you saying one part sings, then another part sings (like a round)?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 07:31:17 PM »
I'm confused.  ?/?  Are you saying one part sings, then another part sings (like a round)?

If you look at the song As The Dear - Sheet Music- you have two-part melody notes in this song.  You have principal part, which is your melody note, and you have counter-melody notes.  Both parts are written on the staff, but the upper melody stem is turned up and the lower melody is turned down.  You have to play both notes at the same time, now here is the confusing part for me, sometime the notes have different time value and you have to play them at the same time. 

When I started doing research concerning this theory, I also found out that sometime the two notes are the same and you only play the note one time.  This really blow my mind.  Why would a song have a note with two stems, one down and one up?

Sjon do you play by sheet music?  I understand that you are a music teacher.
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 08:07:34 PM »
If you look at the song As The Dear - Sheet Music- you have two-part melody notes in this song.  You have principal part, which is your melody note, and you have counter-melody notes.  Both parts are written on the staff, but the upper melody stem is turned up and the lower melody is turned down.  You have to play both notes at the same time, now here is the confusing part for me, sometime the notes have different time value and you have to play them at the same time. 

When I started doing research concerning this theory, I also found out that sometime the two notes are the same and you only play the note one time.  This really blow my mind.  Why would a song have a note with two stems, one down and one up?

Sjon do you play by sheet music?  I understand that you are a music teacher.

*shudders* Oooooooooo You're speaking in classical terms (or, that's how it reads to me) and I dislike classical terminology, greatly. It's why I haven't gone further in the development of my piano playing skills. :-\

What is sound like you're saying is the Soprano (top note:melody) and the Alto (bottom note: harmony) are both written on the Treble staff; which is fine and how it should be and shouldn't be confusing.

The reason who have the stems going in different directions for the same note is because there ARE times when both the Sop and Alto are singing in unison and that's how it's written on the staff.

The different time values (I'm assuming you mean different meter or time signature) could be one part having to sing the note longer than the other part. I can't really tell you anything more unless I saw it; I'm a visual learner.  :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 07:45:49 AM »

Thank you in advance.

The theory is just that, 2 different melodies going on at the same time.  The stems represent which voice part is singing what note, as sjon explained.  Soprano notes stem up, and Alto notes stem down.  Both parts are written on the treble clef.  If there were 4 parts to it, then in the bass clef u would have Tenor and Bass notes.  Tenor notes stem up, and the Bass notes stem down. 

If you were to go to a real theory class, you would learn that there all all kinds of rules of how to write in 4 parts.  Things like all voices move opposite the Bass, no direct 5ths or octaves unless one voice steps and another voice jumps, root movement as much as possible, go to the nearest tone, etc.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 05:02:04 PM »
*shudders* Oooooooooo You're speaking in classical terms (or, that's how it reads to me) and I dislike classical terminology, greatly. It's why I haven't gone further in the development of my piano playing skills. :-\

What is sound like you're saying is the Soprano (top note:melody) and the Alto (bottom note: harmony) are both written on the Treble staff; which is fine and how it should be and shouldn't be confusing.

The reason who have the stems going in different directions for the same note is because there ARE times when both the Sop and Alto are singing in unison and that's how it's written on the staff.

The different time values (I'm assuming you mean different meter or time signature) could be one part having to sing the note longer than the other part. I can't really tell you anything more unless I saw it; I'm a visual learner.  :-\

Ok, thanks.  I am going to post a copy of the sheet music.  Please take a look at the attachment.

The theory is just that, 2 different melodies going on at the same time.  The stems represent which voice part is singing what note, as sjon explained.  Soprano notes stem up, and Alto notes stem down.  Both parts are written on the treble clef.  If there were 4 parts to it, then in the bass clef u would have Tenor and Bass notes.  Tenor notes stem up, and the Bass notes stem down. 

ok, thanks.

If you were to go to a real theory class, you would learn that there all all kinds of rules of how to write in 4 parts.  Things like all voices move opposite the Bass, no direct 5ths or octaves unless one voice steps and another voice jumps, root movement as much as possible, go to the nearest tone, etc.

That is a little to advance for me right now.  I am still taking baby steps, maybe crawling a little bit sometimes.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 05:07:54 PM »
Oh  think you are talking about the slur line above the notes right? I think it means you have to play all the notes under the slur in Legato, i.e without any pause in sound moving from one note to the next.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »
Oh  think you are talking about the slur line above the notes right? I think it means you have to play all the notes under the slur in Legato, i.e without any pause in sound moving from one note to the next.

No, I  am talking about the notes.  Please read my post  again. :)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »
Ok, thanks.  I am going to post a copy of the sheet music.  Please take a look at the attachment.

ok, thanks.

That is a little to advance for me right now.  I am still taking baby steps, maybe crawling a little bit sometimes.

Ok,  I took a look at the sheet music. It's like I thought it would be. Let's just take the first measure. You have the Soprano line (melody) "singing" an F#, then two A's while the Alto is "singing" a D then moving to an E.

The Tenors are "singing" an A while the Basses are "singing" a D. It looks like standard music notation to me. I can take a better look at it tomorrow at work, if you'd like.

What is your question or confusion, again?  :-\

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »
Ok,  I took a look at the sheet music. It's like I thought it would be. Let's just take the first measure. You have the Soprano line (melody) "singing" an F#, then two A's while the Alto is "singing" a D then moving to an E.

The Tenors are "singing" an A while the Basses are "singing" a D. It looks like standard music notation to me. I can take a better look at it tomorrow at work, if you'd like.

What is your question or confusion, again?  :-\

You and T-Block answered almost all of my questions except for one.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 08:55:47 PM »
You and T-Block answered almost all of my questions except for one.

I think this is your answer

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 09:08:26 PM »

I didn't find that occurrence anywhere. All I saw (in the Tenor and Bass line) was both parts singing the same note indicated by the two stems going in different directions (one up and one down).  ?/?

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 09:16:55 PM »
I think this is your answer

Sorry, I missed that. Thanks.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »
I didn't find that occurrence anywhere. All I saw (in the Tenor and Bass line) was both parts singing the same note indicated by the two stems going in different directions (one up and one down).  ?/? 

no, this occurrence is not on the sheet music.

When I checked out more sheet music that have two part writing, I found out that sometime the two notes are the same with stems going in different directions and you only play the note one time.     When both parts are the same why have two notes when you only play them once?  why not just write one note? 

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 09:37:16 PM »

When I checked out more sheet music that have two part writing, I found out that sometime the two notes are the same with stems going in different directions and you only play the note one time.     When both parts are the same why have two notes when you only play them once?  why not just write one note? 

Because its for the singers. If the not just wasnt there, then the altos would not sing that note

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »
Because its for the singers. If the not just wasnt there, then the altos would not sing that note

Ok, I got it now.  That is not for the musician, but for the singers.  Just bare with me, I know that some of my questions are elementary but I am trying hard to get this. 

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:01:18 PM »
Ok, I got it now.  That is not for the musician, but for the singers.  Just bare with me, I know that some of my questions are elementary but I am trying hard to get this. 

There is no such thing as a stupid question, so dont be afraid to ask. Even if it seems elementry.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 10:03:26 PM »
There is no such thing as a stupid question, so dont be afraid to ask. Even if it seems elementry.

Thanks I needed that!   Good night! 

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 06:34:42 AM »

When I checked out more sheet music that have two part writing, I found out that sometime the two notes are the same with stems going in different directions and you only play the note one time.     When both parts are the same why have two notes when you only play them once?  why not just write one note? 

You're going to have to show me an example. I'm just not understanding what you're saying.  ?/? :-\

Depending on the position of the stem will determine which part will sing said note, as U13 stated, I believe.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 07:05:02 AM »
You're going to have to show me an example. I'm just not understanding what you're saying.  ?/? :-\

Depending on the position of the stem will determine which part will sing said note, as U13 stated, I believe.

Good morning! :)

The example is not a gospel song. It is a classical song.  I don't know if it is ok to post this song. Is it okay to e-mail it to you? 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up