LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Succinct; Outside Dissonance  (Read 939 times)

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

Succinct; Outside Dissonance
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »
I asked this question recently, but i think it was too long. I'll be brief & succinct this time.

Please give some examples of how you would take a relatively simple chord progression further & further OUT into dissonance, and explain what you did.

The "moves" that you demonstrate will make for very informative & priceless notes. 8)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Succinct; Outside Dissonance
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »
I saw your other post.  Unfortunately, I don't do this sort of thing.  I try to keep my stuff as simple as possible as to not draw attention to my myself while playing.  I'm sure there are other members here who can give u examples, but they may not have the time to do it right now.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »
Yeah i don't take my stuff "out there" either. Pretty much all my playing is done in church so it has to be simple so as not to distract from worship. When i don't play in church i am practicing for church so, again, simple.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 08:15:36 PM »
T-Block, I fully understand what you mean by "not drawing attention to yourself while playing". However, i only meant examples of (taking it outside) ONLY for the use of "command of your instrument", strictly Educational, NEVER to be done in worship service in church! lol

For instance P.J. Morgan gave Jamal some examples of how to (take it way out) only to show his COMMAND & KNOWLEDGE of the keys. Because we all know that P.J. Morgan FULLY understands that you can't do that kinda stuff in church service (he said exactly that in the interview).

But T-Block, you may be exactly right that, this request might be more "time consuming" to demonstrate. So i'll keep that in mind.

Thanks, 8)

(hmm, come to think of it, this SHOULD be right up the Jazz Room's alley! lol)

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 07:16:09 AM »
I get all the sides.

I'm also not 1 to play complex stuff when in front of an audience, unless if there atmosphere is just right for it & it happens instinctually on that " Holy Spirit surge" (which is mostly when I'm alone anyway!)

Anyway, the easiest way I find doing that "going-out" thing, if I understand it correctly, is by utilisation of the chromatic scale ;)  [don't really have the time to spell that out for now :(

So what I normally do is find various chords to play with the "off" notes that are not part of the particular major scale I'm in..& then I just play my progression & resort to a 5-1 to end off or something.
If you struggle to come with stuff to play with the off notes, trust your diminished chords to work ;) or try the dominant chords as well.

It's all really a matter of you sitting in front of your board & compiling a list of all possible routes U can use to move from 1 pt to the other.

for instance, if in the key of Ab, you could play: (just recalling from memory here, excuse any errors)

Db/ B-Eb-F-Bb
B/Bb-Eb-Ab
Bb/C-Db-F-Ab
B/A-Db-Eb-Ab
Bb/Ab-D-G  [2]
Eb/G-C-Db-F [5]
Ab/ G-Bb-C-Eb [1]  or Gb-Bb-C-Eb-(F) (to end off) or you can go to key of Eb from the 5 of Ab..so play:

Ab/G-Bb-C-Eb-F  (this effectively takes you to the key of Eb
D/G-Bb-Eb  or D/C-Eb-Ab
Eb/Ab-D-Eb-^F-G  ^=trill
---
just an idea..

Another example (if I'm on track), if you are playing in the key of Cb, you could do something like this which will take you to the key of F:

Key of Cb

Eb/ C-Db-Gb-Bb
D/Cb-Eb-F-Ab
Db/Ab-Eb-E-Bb
C/Bb-D-F-Ab
Cb/A-D-^E-Gb
Bb/A-C-D-F

the next part is just me going on top & using different ideas:

Eb/Gb-Bb-C-Db
D/F-Ab-Cb-Eb
Db/Ab-Bb-Eb-Fb
Gb/A-Db-Fb-Ab
Ab/Gb-Bb-Cb-Eb
Db/Fb-Ab-Cb-Eb
C/Eb-Ab-^Bb-Db
Cb/Ab-Bb-^Db-Eb-Gb

To key of F:

Eb/Bb-C-D-^F-G

emergency,to be continued later >:(

I'm also in process of compiling a chord chart adapted from KC's "number system"..

I'm just having fun making progressions from chords I extract from any key..

Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 03:19:10 AM »
Thanks for the chord ideas Musallio!

Good lookin out! 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up