LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you let talented non members play at your church?  (Read 7982 times)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Would you let talented non members play at your church?
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 06:30:27 AM »
I've been playing at a church for the past 4 months, and I havent joined, nor do I plan on joining.
They dont pay me, but I'm not that good so I'm just thankful for the opprotunity to have the hands on experience of being the organist. The Pastor did ask me if I planned on joinig and I told him no. I dont belive in joining if I dont plan on staying long, long term.  I'm still a member of my home church, though I dont know If I'll ever return there. thats a whole 'nother story

I dont think musicians need to be a member in order to play. There are many many churches that have good relationships with hired, non member musicians.

I say if you have a musician who will play for free who is skilled and faithful, you better keep him, cuz there arent many out there. I know I dont plan on playing for free forever.

Nobody's talking about paid musicians. Keep up. ::)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 06:38:24 AM »
Nobody's talking about paid musicians. Keep up. ::)

then they should just be glad that someone who is actually good, is playing for free

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 07:05:03 AM »
then they should just be glad that someone who is actually good, is playing for free

Uh...sure. :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 06:42:27 PM »

:-\  O...k

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 06:43:37 PM »
I never said the other musicans weren't good.  I just said this guy was good.  Nobody in the musican's ministry at my church is being paid.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 08:21:19 AM »
I know I said I wasnt going to say anymore on this

but I have to say this

Whether you are a pastor a Minister of music
or a deacon who has some real say whether a musician stays or goes

I encourage you to pray on each and every decision and do not be led by your intellect
or feelings

or pressure from others

or what even seems right
because God works in his own way

I havent heard anyone in this entire thread
quote the bible or talk about being lead of the spirit

only what they think and feel

each and every case should be taken on a case by case basis

to have a blanket rule and policy limits how God may be positioning to bless you and your congregation
and even the musician in question

To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

giftedone88

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 11:38:37 AM »
i'm just reading the whole thread so im kinda late ;), but me personally...no i wouldn't let non-members play at  my church under conditions b/c for one, non-member musicians sometimes are those musicians that give the music ministry hell b/c they really just play at the church to say their a MOM or a musician somewhere and on the other hand deep down inside really don't support the vision of the church they play for.  In which these are ususally the musicians that don't have time to be in rehearsal for over 1 hour nor practice until Sunday and the ones who don't go with the church pastor on any engagements and show up on Sundays whenever they want.... But that goes two ways b/c if there is a musician that is a member of the church who's willing to play they should be given first choice as a musician.  However, I think some musicians in churches sit down b/c they feel that they aren't ready just yet to play for a church and then some musicians just isn't to the point yet where they can deal with the different personalities and criticism that tags behind a musician

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 01:42:15 PM »
i'm just reading the whole thread so im kinda late ;), but me personally...no i wouldn't let non-members play at  my church under conditions b/c for one, non-member musicians sometimes are those musicians that give the music ministry hell b/c they really just play at the church to say their a MOM or a musician somewhere and on the other hand deep down inside really don't support the vision of the church they play for.  In which these are ususally the musicians that don't have time to be in rehearsal for over 1 hour nor practice until Sunday and the ones who don't go with the church pastor on any engagements and show up on Sundays whenever they want.... But that goes two ways b/c if there is a musician that is a member of the church who's willing to play they should be given first choice as a musician.  However, I think some musicians in churches sit down b/c they feel that they aren't ready just yet to play for a church and then some musicians just isn't to the point yet where they can deal with the different personalities and criticism that tags behind a musician

In the case that you get an unreliable or insubordinate musician, he should be let go . The only reason he (or she) would do those things is because the church lets him. Churches should stop letting unanointed people play, just because they gotta few hot chords. But churches are too afraid to go without music.

Welcome to LGM giftedone88

Offline malthumb

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 04:10:06 PM »
First, I'll say it is totally and completely up to the leadership of the church to set policy.  Whether that policy is to let non-members play or to specifically exclude non-members.  Set the policy and make certain everyone is aware of it.  It has to come from the leadership and it has to be followed by all.

Now, here's my situation(s)

For years I played bass at churches where I was not a member.  I would have LOVED to have played at my church, but at the time we were stuck in a tradition of "music = piano &/or organ".  Okay, fine.  So I played where I was welcomed to play.  Sometimes I was paid.  Sometimes I wasn't.  Even when I was paid, the money typically went back into the collection plate or to upgrade equipment used exclusively for that church (strings, practice amp).  I was not a member and knew I would not be a member, because I already had a church home that I was very happy with.  I provided them a service.  They provided me an opportunity to hone my craft.

Eventually my church added an early morning service.  I have been in charge of the music for that service.  I brought in a keyboard player from one of the other churches I used to play at.  I knew he had no intention of joining our church, but since our service was held early, he could play at our service and then make it to his own church in time for his service.  I doubt I would have hired someone who had NO church home.  I definitely would not have hired anyone who did not possess and display the spirit of Christ.

That keyboard player took a job in another state, so I hired another keyboard player who leads an ad hoc group that I play for.  Eventually he hired me to play at his church.  So now every Sunday, he starts at my church in the morning, then travels cross town to play at his own church.  On two or three Sundays a month, I start at my church and then drive cross town to his church.  I don't expect that he will ever join my church and I know that I will never join his church, but we have become great friends and musical collaborators and we both provide dedicated service to both congregations.  I see nothing wrong with that.

If, however, his church decided that they wanted to institute a policy that you had to be a member to be a musician, I would gracefully step aside.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »
First, I'll say it is totally and completely up to the leadership of the church to set policy.  Whether that policy is to let non-members play or to specifically exclude non-members.  Set the policy and make certain everyone is aware of it.  It has to come from the leadership and it has to be followed by all.

Now, here's my situation(s)

For years I played bass at churches where I was not a member.  I would have LOVED to have played at my church, but at the time we were stuck in a tradition of "music = piano &/or organ".  Okay, fine.  So I played where I was welcomed to play.  Sometimes I was paid.  Sometimes I wasn't.  Even when I was paid, the money typically went back into the collection plate or to upgrade equipment used exclusively for that church (strings, practice amp).  I was not a member and knew I would not be a member, because I already had a church home that I was very happy with.  I provided them a service.  They provided me an opportunity to hone my craft.

Eventually my church added an early morning service.  I have been in charge of the music for that service.  I brought in a keyboard player from one of the other churches I used to play at.  I knew he had no intention of joining our church, but since our service was held early, he could play at our service and then make it to his own church in time for his service.  I doubt I would have hired someone who had NO church home.  I definitely would not have hired anyone who did not possess and display the spirit of Christ.

That keyboard player took a job in another state, so I hired another keyboard player who leads an ad hoc group that I play for.  Eventually he hired me to play at his church.  So now every Sunday, he starts at my church in the morning, then travels cross town to play at his own church.  On two or three Sundays a month, I start at my church and then drive cross town to his church.  I don't expect that he will ever join my church and I know that I will never join his church, but we have become great friends and musical collaborators and we both provide dedicated service to both congregations.  I see nothing wrong with that.

If, however, his church decided that they wanted to institute a policy that you had to be a member to be a musician, I would gracefully step aside.

Peace,

James

& that there is a RAPP!!!
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline Danoman

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 05:53:59 PM »
It doesn’t really matter if their members or not. As long as they are playing for God and living a faithful life to  Lord. I started helping a local pastor. We started with just 15 members. Now we are hitting over 100 and only been two years this coming November. I am the only member that is a musician from my church. The crazy thing is that we have one of the most awesome worship team in town. God has really bless our music dept. We have then invited to minister and host worship services. Our musicians are from different denomination and cultural. And I have a bass player, guitar player, 2 sometime 3 keyboards a awesome drummer, percussionist. Our vocal are now member but started off from different churches. That was their choice and felt lead of God to move over with us. Most of  the band members are pastors kids so they are tied up helping out at their local churches. But they love fellowshipping with us. We are all going to be doing together in haven anyways! Right?

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »
This whole issue is just another example of how churches make rules that are not based on biblical principal. Someone please tell me where in the bible it says musicians have to be members to minister.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »
It doesn’t really matter if their members or not. As long as they are playing for God and living a faithful life to  Lord. I started helping a local pastor. We started with just 15 members. Now we are hitting over 100 and only been two years this coming November. I am the only member that is a musician from my church. The crazy thing is that we have one of the most awesome worship team in town. God has really bless our music dept. We have then invited to minister and host worship services. Our musicians are from different denomination and cultural. And I have a bass player, guitar player, 2 sometime 3 keyboards a awesome drummer, percussionist. Our vocal are now member but started off from different churches. That was their choice and felt lead of God to move over with us. Most of  the band members are pastors kids so they are tied up helping out at their local churches. But they love fellowshipping with us. We are all going to be doing together in haven anyways! Right?

Now this is the essence of it all 8)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 01:07:14 PM »
This whole issue is just another example of how churches make rules that are not based on biblical principal. Someone please tell me where in the bible it says musicians have to be members to minister.
You mean besides the Levites leading the music?  ::) :-\

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
You mean besides the Levites leading the music?  ::) :-\

you got any verses?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 01:28:21 PM »
you got any verses?

The Levites were consecrated to do a LOT of things within the chu'ch.  ;)

http://www.bible-topics.com/Levites-The.html

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 01:36:29 PM »
The Levites were consecrated to do a LOT of things within the chu'ch.  ;)

http://www.bible-topics.com/Levites-The.html

Thanks. I'ma read it l8er

Offline vocalist182002

• LGM Member
  • "Don't complain about what you tolerate"
    • GOSPEL GURL

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »

You said it, right. Let the church say Yeeesss!!  May the lord watch........ ;)
A smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

-- Charles Gordy

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
You said it, right. Let the church say Yeeesss!!  May the lord watch........ ;)

You do know that's a prayer of mistrust, right? ::) :-\

And, you must have stop right at that post. You should read further.  ;) 8)

Offline vocalist182002

• LGM Member
  • "Don't complain about what you tolerate"
    • GOSPEL GURL

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2008, 01:48:40 AM »
You do know that's a prayer of mistrust, right? ::) :-\

And, you must have stop right at that post. You should read further.  ;) 8)

Ummm?  Hmm, yeah, what you said!! ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/? ?/?
A smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

-- Charles Gordy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up