LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this the best keyboard/digital piano to get for my church for under $1000?  (Read 10246 times)

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I've been asked to help my church find a digital piano or keyboard.  We're going to get it a little bit after we get into our new building (hopefully) cause our current building doesn't have room for it and since we're tying to get a new building, buying something we can't even use is stupid.

The digital piano I'm looking at right now is the Yamaha DGX620
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D451231%252526CTID%25253D205200%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html

I have the lightly weighted version of that digital piano.  My pastor mentioned he likes Clavinovas but I can't seem to find any under $1000

Is the digital piano I found the best for the price range we have?

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

This one... ;)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

See this thread.

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,55984.0.html

Those arent pro keyboards. Thy cant take the abuse that they will get in a church setting and the sounds wont be as good as a pro keyboard.  And I dont think it has full sized weighted keys

I suggest you check out the
yamaha Mo8 - $1600 ( you can probaly get it for around 1400 at samash)
S08 $800 (if they stll have them in stock
The MM8 will be out very very soon, and it will probaly be about a thousand.
Chek out some kurzwiel stage pianos, they shouldnt cost too much

The Clavonias are Garbage. Yeah they are good for someones house, but they wont last you more than a few years of church abuse

Offline keyznhornz24

• LGM Member

If you're looking for a board under $1000, I recommend the Korg X-50 (often compared to the MM6). I use mine at church when I play. Only paid $650 for it. The sounds can be easily tweaked to your liking and its got some great sounds for church playing. It has a lot of the Triton sounds in it too. Only weakness is that Korg piano sound but other than that, you might wanna check it out.

Offline reg1985

• LGM Member

if u looking for a piamo for under 1,000 go with a kurzweil x88  or something like that its purple and has weighted keys its only between 800-900 i belive or check out the yamaha s08
love is good for the soul

Offline davidenoch

• LGM Member

what about a motif rack with a 61 key midi board...although i heard companies are'nt making racks anymore but something you should check out.....My boy brought a motif rack(new) about $750 and i bought mines used about $500 with a midi board...definantly under $1000

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

The Clavonias are Garbage. Yeah they are good for someones house, but they wont last you more than a few years of church abuse
I don't know about anyone else, but most church musicians that I see play too hard.  I'm amazed whenever I visit a church and they have a keyboard with broken keys.  I've been playing for close to 30 years and I've never played hard enough to break a key.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

Unless things have changed since I last looked at that (or a predecessor) model, the keys were not full size -- they are narrower than standard keys. 

Offline reg1985

• LGM Member

love is good for the soul

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

Offline bullet1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

here you go brand new in the box, no need to look further

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-MO6-61-Key-Music-Production-Synthesizer-Workstation-with-DAW-Control-103573721-i1154115.gc

Thats what I was going to suggest.  Awesome full grand sound sound.  We have this one and I have for personal use a Triton Xtreme 61 key

Offline under13

• LGM Member

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-MO6-61-Key-Music-Production-Synthesizer-Workstation-with-DAW-Control-103573721-i1154115.gc

except it does not have wieghted keys, which I think are important to have in church

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

The MO series is great, but the MO6 only has 61 keys -- like an organ.  It's a bit cramped to act as a digital piano if that is what you are needing.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

except it does not have wieghted keys, which I think are important to have in church

Doesn't the first bullet say weighted, touch sensitive keys?  ?/?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Doesn't the first bullet say weighted, touch sensitive keys?  ?/?

It doesnt have piano action keys, it has synth action, which isnt good for piano playing. They arent really weighted

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

If you want piano weighted keys buy a piano, if you want an organ with a leslie buy a Hammond B3 w/ a 122 but im guessing since the author of this thread did not specify the amount of keys or their weight, the suggestion of the mo6 has probaly been the best so far

Offline tkeys86

• LGM Member

Buy a used Yamaha S80 for around $750 on eBay!  :D

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

If you want piano weighted keys buy a piano, if you want an organ with a leslie buy a Hammond B3 w/ a 122 but im guessing since the author of this thread did not specify the amount of keys or their weight, the suggestion of the mo6 has probaly been the best so far

CO SIGN
Shannon moore

Offline under13

• LGM Member

She already said that her pastor wanted a clavonia and she was looking at a 625, so it is surmised that they want something full sized. They also only have $1000 so real pianos and B3s are totaly irrelevent. So when in situations like this you have to get the most for what you have. I think most serious musicians would rather play PIANO on weighted keys, or maybe its just me.

So again I suggest the S08
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-S08-Performance-Synth?sku=700827

or the Kurzwiel that someone suggested above.

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

Yamaha SO8 or any any Kurzweil SP series.
MERCY EN!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up