LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strumming Patterns for Jazz guitar  (Read 10010 times)

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Strumming Patterns for Jazz guitar
« on: May 15, 2008, 07:35:37 PM »
Lately I've been playing gospel jazz a lot.  I have 2-3 strumming patterns that I do for every song and they're getting pretty tired.  Does anyone have any suggestions for strumming patterns for (rhythm) jazz guitar?

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

Re: Strumming Patterns for Jazz guitar
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:22:14 AM »
hey koda;don't play frets-but have you checked out u-tube for different styles?  Joe Pass,Kenny Burrell,George Bensonstyles come to mind as well as Larry Carlton,Lee Ritenour,Grant Green.check out Joey Defancesco-organist;he's got a few cats playing with him to check out;Paul Bollenbeck and his brother Johhny Defrancesco,john McLaughlin

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:40:38 AM »
also neal larsen and pat metheny(saw some utube instructions for pat)

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:20:44 AM »
Lately I've been playing gospel jazz a lot.  I have 2-3 strumming patterns that I do for every song and they're getting pretty tired.  Does anyone have any suggestions for strumming patterns for (rhythm) jazz guitar?

Do you understand how to "build" chords? In other words, when you see chord symbols such as [D7, Gm9, AMaj7, etc...] do you know what numbers make up various chords? If not, i would suggest that you really get acquainted with that.

Then, you'll be able to "build or find or locate" any chord you want! 8)

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 02:13:28 AM »

Oh, i mighta misread that the first time. You said "strumming patterns", meaning rhythm stuff, not "certain chords".

That's hard to say. It really depends on what the song is doing, and how the beat of the song goes, to determine how to "chuck or strum or comp" along wit it. 8)

Offline toxict3arz

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:17:16 PM »
whats the 2-3 that you are doing right now?

Because my theory about strumming is getting in the groove.  apply some new styles because jazz is all about chords and modes (correct me if im wrong) unlike stuff like latin and swing which is more rhythmic.

You can copy other jazz players or just turn on some music (besides the stuff you listen to all the time) and see what comes out.

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 01:04:23 AM »
whats the 2-3 that you are doing right now?

Because my theory about strumming is getting in the groove.  apply some new styles because jazz is all about chords and modes (correct me if im wrong) unlike stuff like latin and swing which is more rhythmic.

You can copy other jazz players or just turn on some music (besides the stuff you listen to all the time) and see what comes out.

True, jazz is about chords & modes, but still it's absolutely about "rhythm" as well.

Again, it just depends on how the beat of the song is going that's gonna determine how you "strum" along with it.

Without hearing anything, i'd say the rule is, just make it jam the best way you can! lol...Just make it "bump!"....It don't have to be anything complicated, it just has to move the song along nicely where people (including you) can "enjoy it". 8)

Offline mplsbender

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:45:17 PM »
had a FEW JAZZ GUITAR LESSONS YEARS AGO.TEACHER HAD ME DO VARUIS CHARLSTON RYTHUM TRY LOOKING IT UP IN A BOOK  ITS LIKE PLAY ONLY  ON THE ONE AND THE AND OF TWO.THENN SWITCH UP SAY PLAY ONLY ON BEATS 3 AND AND OF FOUR ECT ECT JUST PLAY A CD AND GET IN THE POCKET OR GROVE WITH VARUIOS CHARLSTON GROVES ITS A GREAT WAY TO LEARN JAZZ HOPES THIS WILL HELP
Pages: [1]   Go Up