LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Gospel song got you hooked on bass  (Read 1132 times)

Offline DESQ

• LGM Member

What Gospel song got you hooked on bass
« on: May 27, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »
Was going back through some of my parents' old collections/albums and decided to check a few of them out again--I had almost forgotten about the phenomenal bass recordings that inspired me and caught my ear again.  Here are a few worth mentioning:

Timothy Wright:  Testify--Jeffery White
                        I'll Be A Witness--" (actually the whole recording but particularly "How I Made it Over")               Jeffery White burnt Washington Temple down that night
                       Jesus Will (Jeffery and Eddie made me go crazy)

Fr. Johnathan Greer and the Cathedral of Faith Choirs: songs He's Worthy and My Faith is in Jesus (Rick Carter) (excellent thumb work)

1st two LA Mass recordings (Gooch)  need I explain....

Edwin Hawkins Music and Art Seminar:  I am Born Again, the late great Tim Linzy  (sounded like Marcus Miller on this song)

The Tommies:  Over and Over and Over (basically anything with Stevey Huff), particularly My Mind's Made Up (although Pennell Johnson did the video voice-over) Utterly ridiculous

Thomas Whitfield:  (I'm Encouraged, Hallelujah Anyhow) Kern and Michael Manson (two old pros)

Richard Smallwood: Center of My Joy album (Tim is wickedly good)

I'm sure there's more that I missed but these come to mind now

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

Re: What Gospel song got you hooked on bass
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 02:29:36 PM »
Actually, I was playing bass before I heard of Gospel music.....Not really, but back then "I'll Take You There" by the Staple Singers was considered gospel and I used to play that in one band I was in.

The album and the song that made me take my bass to church was Fred Hammond's "Let The Praise Begin" from the "pages of life vol 1 & 2" CD collection.  The whole collection was off the hook, in my opinion, so I learned to play a lot of the songs on it.  I was just bangin' around at a Guitar Center playing "Let The Praise Begin" and a minister and his keyboard player came over and asked if I'd be interested in playing at their church.  That's when MY praise began.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 03:17:36 PM »
That may be a question for the younger folks. I was influenced by other (secular) songs and bassists long before I played any gospel music.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:16:07 PM »
That may be a question for the younger folks. I was influenced by other (secular) songs and bassists long before I played any gospel music.

not necessarily. i think it heavily depends on your musical tastes when you started learning as well as your instructors (if you had any). I had recently got to listening to gospel music before i started learning bass, but my teacher had me learning funk, blues, and jazz songs. my second teacher had me learning old school r&b as well as funk. so i didnt really start learning gospel and getting into gospel bass playing until i was getting ready to start playing at my church. so im in the same boat as you DW.

but a gospel song that really got me feeling what i could be and where i could be regarding the bass at that time was "Everything" by Tye Tribbett. powerful song, but smooth for days.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »
When I heard Fred Hammonds live version of "Let The Praise Begin" & "Dance Like David Danced" on the Pages of Life album I knew I wanted to master the bass guitar.  There were others but those 2 songs played a major roll in making me want to learn more about music.

Be Blessed,
J

Offline Revp98

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:38:32 PM »
I think you would have to read my profile on active bass to truly find out. But since we are not there, my influence goes back to when I was a child. My parents always had music in the house. I used to get quizzed on who a particular artist was. Then thee was Saturday night music when those old records came out. For those of you who know and understand-33's and 78's. My whole family has been blessed to play music too. Everyone has a different way into the musical arena. But we are all here in this one now. And by the way, I did not grow up listening to bass players either.

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 10:01:01 PM »
When I heard Fred Hammonds live version of "Let The Praise Begin" & "Dance Like David Danced" on the Pages of Life album I knew I wanted to master the bass guitar.  There were others but those 2 songs played a major roll in making me want to learn more about music.

Be Blessed,
J

yeah i'm witcha on that one.

I don't play bass regularly, but that one D'angelo song that goes "she's my lady.." (or something like that) make me wanna pick up a bass...
Pages: [1]   Go Up