LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Key of B  (Read 5961 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Key of B
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 03:53:23 PM »
Why did you stop talking? I was about to start an offering line man. Real good.   ?/? ?/?

Cuz I was done, LOL.  Besides, I would have just been repeating myself and I hate doing that.  By the way, u can still start da offering line, he he he he.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 04:01:52 PM »
Cuz I was done, LOL.  Besides, I would have just been repeating myself and I hate doing that.  By the way, u can still start da offering line, he he he he.

Offering line for T-Block starts here: $100 minimum.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 08:43:38 AM »
The reason why so many people have problems with playing in unfamiliar keys is because they are scared of getting out of their comfort zone.  It's gonna require them to slow down and really take time to focus to get better at that particular key.  I hear excuses like "Why do I have to practice in that key when I can just hit a button?  It's much faster."  That is pure pyscho-babble!!!

Most people want things done NOW NOW NOW, hardly anyone wants to wait anymore.  I just can't figure out why keyboardists can't take time to learn every key when every other instrument player (besides the capo guitarist) has no other choice.  It's really a shame b4 God that this is happening. 

You can't expect to be a great player in a month, IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN.  You can't even expect to be a great player in a year, IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN.  Most of the so-called "great" musicians have at least 10 years of experience under their belt, it didn't happen overnight.  You will not see the results of all your hard work until much later down the road, so why not take time out now and learn everything you can?

The sooner we stop making excuses like "that key has awkward fingering" or "that takes too long" and MAN UP, the better off we as musicians will be.  Yes, I'm talking to myself as well.  It's time out for this foolishness, this is serious business and we should start taking it seriously.  God has given us musical gifts & talents that we should be expanding & not sitting down on.  Just like it took time to get good in one key, it's gonna take the same (and even more) time to get good in the other ones as well.
Tight but its right!!!!

I play in all keys but some of them are not as easy as others. It took me a while to get the concept of transposing on paper and not with a button. But I took a song I loved and I manually transposed that song every key and I practiced everyday until I learned that song in every key. Now I am able to hold my own in ever key. Like U13, I don't play fancy or comfortably in each key but I do play in every key...I even modulate my songs now. It can be done but it take an incredible amount to time and patience. Thanks T-block for your help...I wouldn't have cared about learning in every key if it wasnt for you.

BTW, I really enjoyed hearing you play at our Midnight Madness.....YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »

BTW, I really enjoyed hearing you play at our Midnight Madness.....YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

Yeah, him and CJ were killin it.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 08:58:32 AM »
Yeah, him and CJ were killin it.

You were there too????

Man i missed out. :(

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 09:01:49 AM »
Tight but its right!!!!

I play in all keys but some of them are not as easy as others. It took me a while to get the concept of transposing on paper and not with a button. But I took a song I loved and I manually transposed that song every key and I practiced everyday until I learned that song in every key. Now I am able to hold my own in ever key. Like U13, I don't play fancy or comfortably in each key but I do play in every key...I even modulate my songs now. It can be done but it take an incredible amount to time and patience. Thanks T-block for your help...I wouldn't have cared about learning in every key if it wasnt for you.

That's exactly the way to do it, if you can't do it automatically in you mind...it takes time, but you eventually learn to play in every key.

Offline Ladyn

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 09:40:48 AM »
The reason why so many people have problems with playing in unfamiliar keys is because they are scared of getting out of their comfort zone.  It's gonna require them to slow down and really take time to focus to get better at that particular key.  I hear excuses like "Why do I have to practice in that key when I can just hit a button?  It's much faster."  That is pure pyscho-babble!!!

Most people want things done NOW NOW NOW, hardly anyone wants to wait anymore.  I just can't figure out why keyboardists can't take time to learn every key when every other instrument player (besides the capo guitarist) has no other choice.  It's really a shame b4 God that this is happening. 

You can't expect to be a great player in a month, IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN.  You can't even expect to be a great player in a year, IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN.  Most of the so-called "great" musicians have at least 10 years of experience under their belt, it didn't happen overnight.  You will not see the results of all your hard work until much later down the road, so why not take time out now and learn everything you can?

The sooner we stop making excuses like "that key has awkward fingering" or "that takes too long" and MAN UP, the better off we as musicians will be.  Yes, I'm talking to myself as well.  It's time out for this foolishness, this is serious business and we should start taking it seriously.  God has given us musical gifts & talents that we should be expanding & not sitting down on.  Just like it took time to get good in one key, it's gonna take the same (and even more) time to get good in the other ones as well.

AMEN!!!!! 

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 09:50:29 AM »
AMEN!!!!! 

Words but no action?

As T-Block's official armor-bearer, we demand a $100 offering for every cosign.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 10:03:07 AM »
That's exactly the way to do it, if you can't do it automatically in you mind...it takes time, but you eventually learn to play in every key.

When you can transpose in your head without much thinking, it will make your life a lot easier. I couldnt imagine practicing every song in every key.

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 10:37:40 AM »
When you can transpose in your head without much thinking, it will make your life a lot easier. I couldnt imagine practicing every song in every key.

Troof...but one must learn how to crawl before one can walk... ;)

At this point I can modulate without to much thought in all keys, just from recognizing the progression, but there was a time when I had to take the time and write it down to get comfortable with certain keys.

Although, I will admit, I still prefer to play in certain keys more than others...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 10:40:38 AM »

CO-SIZZLE!!!
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 10:40:53 AM »
What worked for me was going through a series of chords  (major, minor, dominant, augmented, diminished, etc) and play them up and down chromatically.   
If I find a chord I like, I'll learn to play it in every key.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
What worked for me was going through a series of chords  (major, minor, dominant, augmented, diminished, etc) and play them up and down chromatically.   

I do this too. I remember when i learnt m11 chords. I learnt them in every key and wanted to put them in any song i was playing. ;D

Words but no action?

As T-Block's official armor-bearer, we demand a $100 offering for every cosign.

CO-SIZZLE!!!

T, pay yourself a $100 for a cosign. Thems the rules man.  :-\

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • God's Glory

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 01:11:47 PM »
Cool!!! How does that help you learn songs, may I ask?

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 01:19:53 PM »
Cool!!! How does that help you learn songs, may I ask?
It doesn't help to learn songs but it gets you used to playing different chords in every key.  Once you learn the intervals of a particular song, then it's easy to transpose that to whatever key you like.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • God's Glory

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 01:37:36 PM »
It doesn't help to learn songs but it gets you used to playing different chords in every key.  Once you learn the intervals of a particular song, then it's easy to transpose that to whatever key you like.
Oh oK...COOL!! You are very well educated when it comes to music. I look forward to hearing more of your insight my friend!!! ;) ;) ;)

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 02:39:06 PM »

I find this to be easier than the much appraised circle of 4ths..so that's how I quickly get a chord I like into my system in all the keys..It's the inversions that take time. >:(

The pro's have spoken, now I can give my beginner's opinion:

A key is as bad as you want it to be...I've never struggled with B (so far..& don't intend to! ;D :D)..I can remember late last year when I was given that rare chance to play at church..I could only play a bit in F#..I remember accidentally going into the key of B whilst the song was in F# :P :-[ :-[ Hitting the E felt "weird" because I was used to the F.

But with some months' work, I can say that it's just like U13 said...I can play the commonly played songs here with relative ease in all the keys..I admit that a key I've been lagging in of late is F..hence the reason I practice in it more than the others.
But I make sure that in a day, I have practiced at least once in all the keys..

It really wouldn't take 10years to master all the keys, it's more based on the hours & methods you create for yourself to practice..

I spend a handful of hours a week practicing in them all,so I have managed to get reasonably comfortable with all of them in a time most people would consider "too quick"..but it's really not magic..it's doing what I ought to do & with familiarity comes comfort.

Of course I still have some way to go before I can play "all that sweet stuff"..

Ok, nuff bout me...

tip:

If you don't have time to practice in all keys (or you think you don't), instead of playing a 3 minute song in 1 key, pick a certain 10 second verse & play it in all the keys..
Alternatively, you can modulate by half steps at certain intervals to ensure that you do each part of the song in a different key until you've covered the song...Of course more time/ longer parts should be invested in keys that you are uncomfortable with.

Dwelling more on the keys you already master & depriving the keys you dislike only serves as entertainment for you & your audience if any, but doesn't improve much on your shortfalls..

Ok, I know you all know this, but I just had to say it ;D
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 02:42:28 PM »
Oh oK...COOL!! You are very well educated when it comes to music. I look forward to hearing more of your insight my friend!!! ;) ;) ;)

That's nothing. You should hear him talk about music equipment.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »
That's nothing. You should hear him talk about music equipment.
Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the kind words.  I know a few things.  I'm more of a technician than I am a musician but I do what I can.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 02:59:52 PM »
Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the kind words.  I know a few things.  I'm more of a technician than I am a musician but I do what I can.

***Chanting***

BEAST, BEAST, BEAST...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up