LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio Recording ?'s  (Read 19114 times)

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

Re: Studio Recording ?'s
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 11:38:42 AM »
Wow. This may spark another subject but in today's gospel music, is there anything timeless?  BBD has made an excellent point. Outside of what the Hawkins and the Winans did, I don't think a timeless gospel recording has been made in the last 15 to 20 years.  Lately they've  all been fast food recordings. Its not surprising though.  Gospel has way too much R&B influence which will naturally result in a "flavor of the day" style of music, which in return births "flavor of the day" musicians.  Indeed, they will eventually play themselves out.  You will grow tired of hearing certain drummers...some of us are already tired of hearing certain drummers.

Yes, you got it!!!! And that's what Im saying!!!! When I was typing my last post I was thinking of the Hawkins and the Winans , Andrae Crouch, Aretha Franklin's recording. It would have been more appropriate to group Bill Maxwell, Dana Davis, Joel Smith in with the drummers on timeless recordings, Calvin' nah! D.O.D's right! Gospel music right now is full of "flavor of the day" musicians and styles. Trust me! It was nice when I could go pick up a gospel tape/cd and be blown away by some drummer whom I had never heard of playing drums his own way and doing his own licks.. Now everything is the same people, same sound, everyone trying to sound the same, everyone trying to be Calvin Rodgers...Calvin's good but he's not so good that there are no others who can do what he's doing and put a different spin or bring a different flavor to the table. (Calvin's only an example Im using, he is a cat to look up to and has my full respect!)

Gospel music has become nothing but a money making business and that's it!!! No one wants to take a chance on new musicians and even they discriminate on artists now too! I say that because there was a time more local Church Choirs would put out recordings & if it was good enough labels would pick them up and give them distribution deals, you really don't see that anymore. I learned more from listening to the local everyday Church Choir drummers then I did from listening to Dave Weckl. Gospel music is not fun anymore, the brotherhood between gospel drummers has really broken down over the years!

There was a time that no matter where you were from as long as you were a true Gospel Drummer we were brothers and you were coming to my house if you were in my city. And if I had gear I wasn't using and you needed it it was yours, if I could not make a gig Id give it to you. Now its all about what I can get, can I get all the gigs, I want to be a super star, give me, give me, give me! That's why there's really no more timeless recordings anymore, the heart and the soul has left the music!!! When last could you really feel the soul of an artist come out in a recording!!?? Go back and dig out your parents old gospel and soul records from the MID 70's and you will feel what I mean.

Come on! Even most of the instruments in our music is fake!!!! Im a producer and Ive been guilty of exactly what Im talking about!! We need to find our heart and soul again, that's the only time we will start making music that can grab our souls and pull it out of our bodies!!! Music that you feel in your soul and consumes your body all day long!

Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »
Wow. This may spark another subject but in today's gospel music, is there anything timeless?  BBD has made an excellent point. Outside of what the Hawkins and the Winans did, I don't think a timeless gospel recording has been made in the last 15 to 20 years.  Lately they've  all been fast food recordings. Its not surprising though.  Gospel has way too much R&B influence which will naturally result in a "flavor of the day" style of music, which in return births "flavor of the day" musicians.  Indeed, they will eventually play themselves out.  You will grow tired of hearing certain drummers...some of us are already tired of hearing certain drummers.

I can agree with you on that the fact that today's R&B or should I say Hip-Hop R&B is very flava of the month. Ringtone of the month is more like it. This "pick pocket" mentality has birthed some bad seed.

I am not moved by most of today's young Gospel artists/music. Certainly not by the majority of today's Hip-Hop R&B. Though I am not the Gospel music off-spring that you guys are I am as serious-minded musician as you and BBD are and outside of the nuances I think we all are wanting the same change to occur in todays musician. 
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
Yes, you got it!!!! And that's what Im saying!!!! When I was typing my last post I was thinking of the Hawkins and the Winans , Andrae Crouch, Aretha Franklin's recording. It would have been more appropriate to group Bill Maxwell, Dana Davis, Joel Smith in with the drummers on timeless recordings, Calvin' nah! D.O.D's right! Gospel music right now is full of "flavor of the day" musicians and styles. Trust me! It was nice when I could go pick up a gospel tape/cd and be blown away by some drummer whom I had never heard of playing drums his own way and doing his own licks.. Now everything is the same people, same sound, everyone trying to sound the same, everyone trying to be Calvin Rodgers...Calvin's good but he's not so good that there are no others who can do what he's doing and put a different spin or bring a different flavor to the table. (Calvin's only an example Im using, he is a cat to look up to and has my full respect!)

Gospel music has become nothing but a money making business and that's it!!! No one wants to take a chance on new musicians and even they discriminate on artists now too! I say that because there was a time more local Church Choirs would put out recordings & if it was good enough labels would pick them up and give them distribution deals, you really don't see that anymore. I learned more from listening to the local everyday Church Choir drummers then I did from listening to Dave Weckl. Gospel music is not fun anymore, the brotherhood between gospel drummers has really broken down over the years!

There was a time that no matter where you were from as long as you were a true Gospel Drummer we were brothers and you were coming to my house if you were in my city. And if I had gear I wasn't using and you needed it it was yours, if I could not make a gig Id give it to you. Now its all about what I can get, can I get all the gigs, I want to be a super star, give me, give me, give me! That's why there's really no more timeless recordings anymore, the heart and the soul has left the music!!! When last could you really feel the soul of an artist come out in a recording!!?? Go back and dig out your parents old gospel and soul records from the MID 70's and you will feel what I mean.

Come on! Even most of the instruments in our music is fake!!!! Im a producer and Ive been guilty of exactly what Im talking about!! We need to find our heart and soul again, that's the only time we will start making music that can grab our souls and pull it out of our bodies!!! Music that you feel in your soul and consumes your body all day long!

Aside from me being less a Gospel music historian than you we are both saying the same thing. I think it really makes a statement that the producer in you and the musician and music fan in you are at odds. Most wouldn't admit it I don't think. The local choirs fellowshipping and  doing the choir day appreciation and anniversary concerts back in the day were very influential. Now days... it is just not heart felt to me. It does seem like there was more opportunity for folk back in the 80s and 90s. I know times change but in the kingdom it should only be for he better. Time to pick the ball back up because, it was dropped along the way.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 06:13:41 PM »
Aside from me being less a Gospel music historian than you we are both saying the same thing. I think it really makes a statement that the producer in you and the musician and music fan in you are at odds. Most wouldn't admit it I don't think. The local choirs fellowshipping and  doing the choir day appreciation and anniversary concerts back in the day were very influential. Now days... it is just not heart felt to me. It does seem like there was more opportunity for folk back in the 80s and 90s. I know times change but in the kingdom it should only be for he better. Time to pick the ball back up because, it was dropped along the way.

Its funny this came up. This very thing has been bothering me for awhile now. Gospel music has lost its heart and the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and I mean that in both the spiritual and physical!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.gospelchops.com

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 10:30:31 AM »
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.... Tired of gospel music? Same sound? Same people? I have been a member of this community for two years now and this board hasn't changed much. Same usernames saying the same stuff. Who here has progressed in two years? Who here has a new gig in two years? Who here has put out a professional recording in two years? What is everyone waiting for???????? Do you assume Calvin is gonna take off his crown and gently place it on your head? ?/? Do you think Spanky is gonna post a thousand Youtube clips breaking down every lick he knows so you can play just like him? ?/? It ain't gonna happen, people! Remember, the problem is you. It is always you!... Look at what you can do differently to bring about change.
If you don't like what Calvin is doing, take it from him. It's just that simple! This is still a free country, at least until Obama is elected... Cats need to get off their behinds and be aggressive about their goals. If you want it, go after it in a ferocious yet methodical way. Anybody here down to do what it takes to get what Calvin has or to get what Spanky has? (Please don't answer that) Otherwise, your gift shall make room for you...right there on your couch!

God bless

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 10:33:12 AM »
This is still a free country, at least until Obama is elected...

Hold up! Rewind! What you mean by that?

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 10:44:55 AM »
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.... Tired of gospel music? Same sound? Same people? I have been a member of this community for two years now and this board hasn't changed much. Same usernames saying the same stuff. Who here has progressed in two years? Who here has a new gig in two years? Who here has put out a professional recording in two years? What is everyone waiting for???????? Do you assume Calvin is gonna take off his crown and gently place it on your head? ?/? Do you think Spanky is gonna post a thousand Youtube clips breaking down every lick he knows so you can play just like him? ?/? It ain't gonna happen, people! Remember, the problem is you. It is always you!... Look at what you can do differently to bring about change.
If you don't like what Calvin is doing, take it from him. It's just that simple! This is still a free country, at least until Obama is elected... Cats need to get off their behinds and be aggressive about their goals. If you want it, go after it in a ferocious yet methodical way. Anybody here down to do what it takes to get what Calvin has or to get what Spanky has? (Please don't answer that) Otherwise, your gift shall make room for you...right there on your couch!

God bless

:o :o :o

Kamikaze
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »
Hold up! Rewind! What you mean by that?

My name is Gerald Forrest and I approve of this message. ;)

God bless

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 11:36:02 AM »

God bless

...yeah well.....my last name's bennett and I ain't 'enett. LOL

your gift shall make room for you...right there on your couch!

Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »

Do you assume Calvin is gonna take off his crown and gently place it on your head? ?/? Do you think Spanky is gonna post a thousand Youtube clips breaking down every lick he knows so you can play just like him? ?/? ......your gift shall make room for you...right there on your couch!
God bless

:o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D 

......and I thought I was bad...... :-X    :D

E.R.

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »

God bless

Me too!!

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »

God bless

Hey Gerald. I had the privilege of meeting you at Namm 2 years ago.

I respectfully disagree with you here. I don't believe it's healthy to be aggressive about goals. That's the hustle the world wants us in. That hustle is dangerous, and I know you know this. It seems like everyone is promoting a shallow race for cool gigs with cool people lately like having that childish dream is healthy. Yea, childish.

If everyone and everything we had was taken from us, and we only had one thing to stand on, would it be the promises and words of the unseen God?

Let's get real, the way most of us talk around here including me, it's like we aren't even close to being ambassadors of Christ. With all the sarcasm flying around here it's hard to help a brother that wants some genuine help. That tells me most of us around here, including me again, are caught up in this dead-end hustle!

I'm a little frustrated today, you'll have to excuse me.

It ain't about us. Let the focus shift to Him, and everything else falls into place at a rate that causes the development of good character. Character that glorifies God when you do have a place of influence.

To the topic starter:

I did two songs for a childrens t.v. show last week. I had no room for blazing chops. They were childrens songs. Take the material you were given and really put some thought into what it calls for. Be prepared when you step foot in that studio to try different things. My producer told me not to use any toms last time I was in the studio, be prepared. FOCUS ON THE SONG! If this makes sense, think more like the producer and less like a drummer.

Offline JHJr

• LGM Member
    • Myspace site

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »
No's matter what ya'll aaaguin bout! / With all respect going out to every drummer on this forum and in the field. Point in case said that as far as sudio work i have not seen anyone touch RICKY LAWSON. Because, when you are the sole session drummer for ARISTA, BABYFACE AND MICHAEL JACKSON (say what you want about the man but Mike is the man). None of those other drummer can hold Ricky's stick when it come to noteriety (sp) due the fact he's probably the most decorated drummer in the land (grammy nominations & winnings). It's my opinion but you will have a hard time argueing with me on that. Besides he's the one of the trendsetters that revolutionized studio session techniqes that is still used today!! Besides you can't be a scrub working for mike and Mr. Edmonds when they are the most decorated of all African American Producers, Performers and Songwriters still to this day.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »
No's matter what ya'll aaaguin bout! / With all respect going out to every drummer on this forum and in the field. Point in case said that as far as sudio work i have not seen anyone touch RICKY LAWSON. Because, when you are the sole session drummer for ARISTA, BABYFACE AND MICHAEL JACKSON (say what you want about the man but Mike is the man). None of those other drummer can hold Ricky's stick when it come to noteriety (sp) due the fact he's probably the most decorated drummer in the land (grammy nominations & winnings). It's my opinion but you will have a hard time argueing with me on that. Besides he's the one of the trendsetters that revolutionized studio session techniqes that is still used today!! Besides you can't be a scrub working for mike and Mr. Edmonds when they are the most decorated of all African American Producers, Performers and Songwriters still to this day.

...Ricky Lawson is a great Session Drummer that I respect a lot.  Cats on here don't even know who he is. ::) 

...The most "recorded" drummer is now Mr. Vinnie Colaiuta and he's got plenty of big time Grammy Nominations and Winnings "across genres".  That's pretty impressive in my book. Then there's Russ Miller and Abe Laboriel....great drummers that get the job done.

...I'm glad you brought up Mr. Ricky Lawson though.  He's no joke in the Session World.  8)

Offline JHJr

• LGM Member
    • Myspace site

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
thankx i forgot about VC.

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 04:16:27 PM »
Yep! This is definetly a good place to stop and go read the Go get em..Go..Go..Go thread.

"From the time of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful people have been seizing it."  8)
Im too tall to act small.

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 04:31:10 PM »
Hey Gerald. I had the privilege of meeting you at Namm 2 years ago.

I respectfully disagree with you here. I don't believe it's healthy to be aggressive about goals. That's the hustle the world wants us in. That hustle is dangerous, and I know you know this. It seems like everyone is promoting a shallow race for cool gigs with cool people lately like having that childish dream is healthy. Yea, childish.

If everyone and everything we had was taken from us, and we only had one thing to stand on, would it be the promises and words of the unseen God?

Let's get real, the way most of us talk around here including me, it's like we aren't even close to being ambassadors of Christ. With all the sarcasm flying around here it's hard to help a brother that wants some genuine help. That tells me most of us around here, including me again, are caught up in this dead-end hustle!

I'm a little frustrated today, you'll have to excuse me.

It ain't about us. Let the focus shift to Him, and everything else falls into place at a rate that causes the development of good character. Character that glorifies God when you do have a place of influence.

Wassup man? I remember you and the pleasure was all mine, believe me. I hope you are doing well. We can repectfully disagree here. I believe that if you choose not to be aggressive, someone else will be. So, don't be mad when hard work wins the day. If I'm in school and I have a big test, should I not study aggressively to achieve a grade? If my goal is to purchase a home, should I not save aggressively for a down payment?
 I see your point, but I disagree. I see way too many young cats that want to be where someone else is, but will sit by on idle and never WORK to achieve it.
The formula is not difficult. Faith without works is dead. You clearly have faith. Now, get to work.

God bless

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 04:38:26 PM »
 :-X... Just watching. Quite interesting...

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 05:03:16 PM »
I agree with Beat, this is....intense...

Offline JHJr

• LGM Member
    • Myspace site

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 05:57:44 PM »
Ricky Lawson in concert w/ Mike ( March 03, 2008 and people still actin foolish and fallin out) :o :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up