LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio Recording ?'s  (Read 19126 times)

Offline JHJr

• LGM Member
    • Myspace site

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Studio Recording ?'s
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 06:02:46 PM »
Wassup man? I remember you and the pleasure was all mine, believe me. I hope you are doing well. We can repectfully disagree here. I believe that if you choose not to be aggressive, someone else will be. So, don't be mad when hard work wins the day. If I'm in school and I have a big test, should I not study aggressively to achieve a grade? If my goal is to purchase a home, should I not save aggressively for a down payment?
 I see your point, but I disagree. I see way too many young cats that want to be where someone else is, but will sit by on idle and never WORK to achieve it.
The formula is not difficult. Faith without works is dead. You clearly have faith. Now, get to work.

God bless

I'm doing great man, thanks for asking. The pleasure was still mine!  :)

I hear what you're saying.

Most of us have had the revelation about material things. We know material things can't satisfy. Have we replaced that lust with a lust to be great and recognized?

I just feel like some of us are encouraging these young cats to hustle just like the world everyday is telling us too. The world says go to school, get an education, go to college, get a good job, buy a house, buy a car, get a better job, buy a bigger house, get a better car. You aren't a man without these things, so they say. Go Go Go.

Pretty soon you have a guy who's reached "the top" with no character to show for it. He wouldn't let anything he's accomplished slip out of his hands. What I'm trying to get at is it's not all about us and our shallow, self-seeking goals to be recognized (the goals we feel God called us to). The lie is we will be important when we get there. The lie is we will be happy when the dream gig arrives. God gives us the desires of our hearts, true. But what's missed is the only good desires in us are birthed from seeking God first.

If you do anything aggressively, seek God first. The hustle is over-rated. If you hustle, hustle after a good wife. Build a family.

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 06:03:17 PM »
Why in the world did you post a Michael Jackson concert bruh, ?/? ???

lmbo!!!!  ;D ;D

Offline JHJr

• LGM Member
    • Myspace site

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »
Silly ain't it!!! that dude is still touring!! u know u watched that whole concert, brought back memories huh!! :P :P ;D

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2008, 06:11:17 PM »
Silly ain't it!!! that dude is still touring!! u know u watched that whole concert, brought back memories huh!! :P :P ;D

Nah, I really didn't watch it... He had on a gold jock strap over his high waters  :-[ ....

Offline JHJr

• LGM Member
    • Myspace site

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2008, 06:19:39 PM »
i laughed myself to tears when i say that and turned it off. Truthfully, i wanted to see Ricky Lawson play but that outfit and decided it was too funny not to post. Beside i think we take things too seriously on this forum. we need to find the funny things on life. The gold outfit makes me know he did the child thing for real!!! WEIRD!!!! :o  Besides this is something to laugh at and also this

Offline cdrums116

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2008, 07:05:12 PM »
L.V., hit me up lata!

LGM, what's good with you guys? Hope all is well with you and your families. I'm doing well, staying busy. Ready to enjoy some warm weather, ya know!!

So anyway, I come through here every so often, mainly to see what clips yall are posting. I read the threads sometimes, but a lot of times I don't. Mainly because you have to understand that it can be kind of hard to see what your so called "brothers" think and say about you. I'm a very nonchalant kind of dude, so I don't really let MUCH get to me. But when you are as passionate as I am about music, and work so hard to portray it, only to have people tear it down at times....that can be a little frustrating, to say the least. I've read some pretty interesting things about myself on here. All ranging from my skill as a musician, to my walk with Christ, to my sexuality. And it aint all been positive. And just think....this is a Christian forum. Not only that, but a drum forum at that. If nowehre else, I should want to come and fellowship via internet with my brothers. Now, I'm not coming on here to whine about who does or doesn't like me. And I am gonna give my opinion on the topic at hand. But I also want to address a couple things said on here, as well.

The studio thing, as Juse/Sabe/D.O.D./so many others said, is all about making the producer happy. Plain and simple, it's politics. You make the producers happy, you get more calls. The trick is finding a way to make the producer happy, and feel good about your track all at the same time. I've been in the ever so familiar place that all of you have, in the studio. The place where you have a part you want to play, or an idea of what the drum part should be. And it's completely different from what the producer has in mind. What do you do? First of all, you become open! Open to what that person may be hearing. Open to putting your idea aside. Open, to being a musician for hire...LOL. My first position, is to find out EXACTLY what the other guy is hearing. Once I have that down, I start trying to incorporate some of my ideas. But NOT forcefully. If you have a part that the producer isn't feeling, don't turn it into a debate. Ask if there's anything in particular about the part, that's not working. If he says it's the whole thing, then let it be that. Move on!! Remember, in the studio, less is always more. There will always be more parts added, when you leave. Two people that never lie in the studio....Mics and Clicks!!! They will tell the truth on you, brother. So make sure you're tight. For me, I always let the producer tell me to play more. That's just me though. Not a rule, just MY preference. The studio is a great way to make a living, as a musician. I know guys who do that, and nothing else. But they know how to work it. So, get in the studio as much as you can. Learn how to be quick, too. Mics pickup everything, from rattling lugs, to loose cymbals screws, to squeaky kick drum pedals. So make sure your gear is tight and your playing is even tighter. Be prepared to do everything, and come well equipped. Have plenty of sticks, moongel, brushes, mallets, hot rods and cymbals felts. And always, ALWAYS have at least two snare drums. My studio tips, for the day. LOL

BBD, you said a couple things I wanna address. First off, you spoke about kids having the wrong impression about studio drumming. Are you doing anything to help alter this perception, within your community of musicians? Knowledge is power, and I've come to realize that we as musicians of influence have to use that influence for more than getting self accolades. You gotta use that influence to educate cats on what it takes to be a successful musician. I pride myself on sharing this knowledge with everyone who approaches me, and is willing to listen. No matter how young or old! Juse made a great point....the cats that work are the ones that make the right decisions, across the board. Your chops are useless, if they're in the wrong place. BBD, you said I need to step out into the real world. I guess you don't consider Gospel to be the real world, huh? Why is that? Gospel has been, by far, one of the most innovative genres in musical history. You can hardly look at any well known black band/artist and not pick out a church guy. And it's crossing over to the mainstream/pop/country genre too. But even if you don't consider Gospel to be "the real world", have you checked out my resume of CD's, producers and work projects? I live and work in a very real world, bro. One where gas is $4.39/gallon. I fill my tank up twice a week, in this real world. It don't get no realer than that, my dude!!! I've worked in Nashville, NY, and Cali. Not to mention, Chicago. People don't hire Gospel musicians, they hire good ones. Feel me? Bro, you talk about the brotherhood of drummers being broken down. Man, read some of the things you've said on this website about cats like Spanky, or myself. Where's the brotherhood in that? Don't talk about it, be about it!! And I mean that in the most sincere way. You want more studio gigs, stop talking about who getting all the gigs, and do something. Get your self over here to the U.S. and take some of them. I aint trying to play for everybody, I'm only trying to do/have what's for me. Flat 5th said it best, start showing some progress. You mentioned timeless recordings. What makes a recording timeless. The song or the drum part? I think this is a matter of opinion. Sabe talked about the Two Against Nature session, where Vinnie left the note for Mike White. He said "let's make history". I'm a part of history bro. Does that mean my work is timeless? Does it mean it isn't? Sabe, I haven't recorded my timeless track yet, bro. LOL

Audio, I don't think there's anything wrong with pursuing your goals aggressively. If I wanted a new house, but only talked about it.....never checked out my credit score, never made sure all my bills were current, never went into a bank....how would I get that crib? Aggressive isn't a problem, I don't think. Maybe as long as it's done in the right spirit. I was aggressive in pursuing the drum chair with JPK, when Ladell quit, feel me?

As always, please don't take anything I say as being offensive or disrespectful. It is only my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. I only state how I feel, and want to help whoever I can. Holla atcha boy!!!

C-Rod
C. Rodgers
It's All For The Love Yall.....

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.gospelchops.com

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2008, 07:22:23 PM »
I'm doing great man, thanks for asking. The pleasure was still mine!  :)

I hear what you're saying.

Most of us have had the revelation about material things. We know material things can't satisfy. Have we replaced that lust with a lust to be great and recognized?

I just feel like some of us are encouraging these young cats to hustle just like the world everyday is telling us too. The world says go to school, get an education, go to college, get a good job, buy a house, buy a car, get a better job, buy a bigger house, get a better car. You aren't a man without these things, so they say. Go Go Go.

Pretty soon you have a guy who's reached "the top" with no character to show for it. He wouldn't let anything he's accomplished slip out of his hands. What I'm trying to get at is it's not all about us and our shallow, self-seeking goals to be recognized (the goals we feel God called us to). The lie is we will be important when we get there. The lie is we will be happy when the dream gig arrives. God gives us the desires of our hearts, true. But what's missed is the only good desires in us are birthed from seeking God first.

If you do anything aggressively, seek God first. The hustle is over-rated. If you hustle, hustle after a good wife. Build a family.

See? I knew this would happen. We actually don't disagree much at all...just needed to talk it out.
II Timothy 2:15 says, "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a WORKMAN that needeth not to be ashamed..." There is nothing wrong with hard work, doc. It rings true in the natural and spiritual. I think our only discrepency is in defining the worthiness of specific goals. However, we are on the same page.
Hustle after a good wife? Here we also agree. If it be God's will, I will see my 16th wedding anniversary this year. Proverbs 18:22 says, "Whoso findeth a wife, findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favor of the LORD." How can a man findeth lest he seek? My point is, whatever the goal, we must work for it. The higher the goal, the more we must work for it. It's been fun yall! ;D

God bless

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 07:23:45 PM »
:-X... Just watching. Quite interesting...

I agree with Beat, this is....intense...

Imma chill over here with ya'll :-X
Im too tall to act small.

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2008, 07:28:56 PM »
Holla atcha boy!!!

C-Rod

Uhh, what's good with them signature sticks, hombre?  I sent you a message on myspace.com on 06/08, and I haven't gotten a reply yet...   :-\
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline cdrums116

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2008, 07:43:51 PM »
Uhh, what's good with them signature sticks, hombre?  I sent you a message on myspace.com on 06/08, and I haven't gotten a reply yet...   :-\

I PM'd you, J_Kay
C. Rodgers

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 08:43:58 PM »
PREACH C-ROD...ayo cal u crazy and i dont even care that ur 5'6...lol.. but fa real thats what i respect about u and FLAT..not only are u guys musicians YOUR MEN OF GOD..and i love it..we tend to get caught up in the material things or benifets that come along with gigs..but like i tell the up coming cats YOU GOTTA KEEP CHRIST 1ST..AND NOT JUST TALK IT BUT WALK IT....i couldnt sit here and say i could respect CALVIN if he was on tour with NAS, with GAME or a bunch of rap artist because then u contridict urself...but hey thats my opinion..im just dirt...DIRT WITH A PORPUSE..LOL

d.h.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »
Calvin, thanks for dropping in and giving the "name brand" truth as you know it. As well, I hope to be close by when you make you timeless recording  ;).

Audio what's good with you man?! I get where you are coming from however let me shed a little light on your point/path. Remember that we are to work as unto the Lord and in service to Lord it should with with zeal and feverence. many times HIS Word tells us to be diligent, which speaks on aggressiveness, the term prudent is used as well. We are to have dominion but you cannot do that without proving authoritative ability that is confident, bold, fearless, unwavering, wise and unashamed. IMO, flat (Gerald) said it right if we don't someone else will.... We should be aggressive and consistent, constantly seeking wisdom and instruction while keeping our eye on the prise and walking out the vision at hand which is hopefully in our heart. One problem I find is that without passionate and aggressive pursuit of that which is for us we fail to prove our stewardship and forego our "birth rite." We then reproduce after that "unfaithful" kind in our environment (families, communities/churches/schools). The world applies Godly principles better than the church and thereby walk in the kingdoms stuff - because they believe it will work and they work on that belief. If we would aggressively climb a roof and tear it open to get what is for us or climb a tree above the crowd and take the crumbs from the table or go after what we know we are not due like the Roman centurion we might get the joy (power) that the exercise brings. JMO

Proverbs 22:29

Proverbs 20:4, 20:5, 20:6, 20:11, 20:13, 20:18

Proverbs 18:14, 18:15

Proverbs 13:18, 13:22, 15:19, 15:22, 16:3, 13:11, 13:4

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.gospelchops.com

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2008, 09:51:28 PM »
Also noteworthy:  Notice how in the Bible, before God gave Adam a wife, he made sure he had a house and a job!... interesting.

God bless

Offline cdrums116

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2008, 10:03:48 PM »
Also noteworthy:  Notice how in the Bible, before God gave Adam a wife, he made sure he had a house and a job!... interesting.

God bless

NOW THAT'LL PREACH, ALL DAY LONG.

Flat, I'm BOUT to raise you an offering, brotha. LOL

Sabe, again you droppin REAL knowledge. No better way to inform, than by the true book of life. I LOVE IT
C. Rodgers

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2008, 10:09:59 PM »

Imma chill over here with ya'll :-X
Chillin' with you too bro. and not sayin' a word  :-X, while watchin' the Lakers blow a 24 point lead  ::)...

Offline Natejam71

• LGM Member
  • Anointed Gospel Musician
    • Anointed Gospel Musician (AGM)

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2008, 10:33:15 PM »
Quoting T.O.  ;D "Get the popcorn ready!" Stay Blessed, Nate J.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2008, 11:06:52 PM »
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.... Tired of gospel music? Same sound? Same people? I have been a member of this community for two years now and this board hasn't changed much. Same usernames saying the same stuff. Who here has progressed in two years? Who here has a new gig in two years? Who here has put out a professional recording in two years? What is everyone waiting for???????? Do you assume Calvin is gonna take off his crown and gently place it on your head? ?/? Do you think Spanky is gonna post a thousand Youtube clips breaking down every lick he knows so you can play just like him? ?/? It ain't gonna happen, people! Remember, the problem is you. It is always you!... Look at what you can do differently to bring about change.
If you don't like what Calvin is doing, take it from him. It's just that simple! This is still a free country, at least until Obama is elected... Cats need to get off their behinds and be aggressive about their goals. If you want it, go after it in a ferocious yet methodical way. Anybody here down to do what it takes to get what Calvin has or to get what Spanky has? (Please don't answer that) Otherwise, your gift shall make room for you...right there on your couch!

God bless

To answer your question I have and still am!!! Ive produced & producing new artists, I'm also music producer and production manager for an Canadian indie film and just did the drum tracks for two new Christian Canadian artists the other day... Ive progressed in two years and in Jesus name will grow to greater success LOL, and I disagree with you! It's up to the people in the industry" Producers, Music Directors, Management act." to give new talent a chance! Industries get very comfortable with who the know and will not stray from their posse leaving very talented people out in the cold.

I do agree, one can not sit on their batty and expect success to fall in their lap and anyone who has spoken to me over the phone will tell you that Im always stressing self promotion!!! Again, more industry people need to open the flood gates and give some new talent a try. HELP people who is where tey once were!!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2008, 11:19:54 PM »
L.V., hit me up lata!

isn't feeling, don't turn it into  debate. Ask if there's anything in particular about the part, that's not working. If he says it's the whole thing, then let it be that. Move on!! Remember, in the studio, less ais always more. There will always be more parts added, when you leave. Two people that never lie in the studio....Mics and Clicks!!! They will tell the truth on you, brother. So make sure you're tight. For me, I always let the producer tell me to play more. That's just me though. Not a rule, just MY preference. The studio is a great way to make a living, as a musician. I know guys who do that, and nothing else. But they know how to work it. So, get in the studio as much as you can. Learn how to be quick, too. Mics pickup everything, from rattling lugs, to loose cymbals screws, to squeaky kick drum pedals. So make sure your gear is tight and your playing is even tighter. Be prepared to do everything, and come well equipped. Have plenty of sticks, moongel, brushes, mallets, hot rods and cymbals felts. And always, ALWAYS have at least two snare drums. My studio tips, for the day. LOL

BBD, you said a couple things I wanna address. First off, you spoke about kids having the wrong impression about studio drumming. Are you doing anything to help alter this perception, within your community of musicians? Knowledge is power, and I've come to realize that we as musicians of influence have to use that influence for more than getting self accolades. You gotta use that influence to educate cats on what it takes to be a successful musician. I pride myself on sharing this knowledge with everyone who approaches me, and is willing to listen. No matter how young or old! Juse made a great point....the cats that work are the ones that make the right decisions, across the board. Your chops are useless, if they're in the wrong place. BBD, you said I need to step out into the real world. I guess you don't consider Gospel to be the real world, huh? Why is that? Gospel has been, by far, one of the most innovative genres in musical history. You can hardly look at any well known black band/artist and not pick out a church guy. And it's crossing over to the mainstream/pop/country genre too. But even if you don't consider Gospel to be "the real world", have you checked out my resume of CD's, producers and work projects? I live and work in a very real world, bro. One where gas is $4.39/gallon. I fill my tank up twice a week, in this real world. It don't get no realer than that, my dude!!! I've worked in Nashville, NY, and Cali. Not to mention, Chicago. People don't hire Gospel musicians, they hire good ones. Feel me? Bro, you talk about the brotherhood of drummers being broken down. Man, read some of the things you've said on this website about cats like Spanky, or myself. Where's the brotherhood in that? Don't talk about it, be about it!! And I mean that in the most sincere way. You want more studio gigs, stop talking about who getting all the gigs, and do something. Get your self over here to the U.S. and take some of them. I aint trying to play for everybody, I'm only trying to do/have what's for me. Flat 5th said it best, start showing some progress. You mentioned timeless recordings. What makes a recording timeless. The song or the drum part? I think this is a matter of opinion. Sabe talked about the Two Against Nature session, where Vinnie left the note for Mike White. He said "let's make history". I'm a part of history bro. Does that mean my work is timeless? Does it mean it isn't? Sabe, I haven't recorded my timeless track yet, bro. LOL

Audio, I don't think there's anything wrong with pursuing your goals aggressively. If I wanted a new house, but only talked about it.....never checked out my credit score, never made sure all my bills were current, never went into a bank....how would I get that crib? Aggressive isn't a problem, I don't think. Maybe as long as it's done in the right spirit. I was aggressive in pursuing the drum chair with JPK, when Ladell quit, feel me?

As always, please don't take anything I say as being offensive or disrespectful. It is only my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. I only state how I feel, and want to help whoever I can. Holla atcha boy!!!

C-Rod

Truth!!!... And Curtis, people are reading what you say about them, be careful bro...And cddrums116, I pay $ 4.53 for reg. unleaded and $4.73 for premium where I live bruh... It's no joke in the REAL WORLD!!!!! Now back to being  :-X :-X :-X :-X
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up