LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboardists playing bass on keys  (Read 6615 times)

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

Re: Keyboardists playing bass on keys
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »
It is absolutely a control thing.  But, again, not a battle that I feel needs to be fought.  On the other hand, she and I have had issues over my volume.  She prefers to hear herself through the house speakers mounted in the ceiling instead of through the monitor next to her bench.  Her solution:  have me turn my volume down.  I explained to her that since I do not go through the house my volume level has to be such that I can be heard through my cab because my cab is all I have.  So I politely refused to turn my volume down past a certain point.
Wow, I feel your pain.  Folks really need to work together and keep God first.  It is big of you to take the non confrontational approach.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »
It is absolutely a control thing.  But, again, not a battle that I feel needs to be fought.  On the other hand, she and I have had issues over my volume.  She prefers to hear herself through the house speakers mounted in the ceiling instead of through the monitor next to her bench.  Her solution:  have me turn my volume down.   I explained to her that since I do not go through the house my volume level has to be such that I can be heard through my cab because my cab is all I have.  So I politely refused to turn my volume down past a certain point.

That makes no sense :-\...does she understand what the monitor is for?

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2008, 03:21:23 PM »
That makes no sense :-\...does she understand what the monitor is for?
She does.  Today at rehearsal I tried to go through the house system so that when we record I can actually hear the bass on the tracks.  She kept saying I was too loud in her monitor!

Perhaps I should add the following comment:  we do not have a trained sound technician to (1) run our sound system properly, (2) offer a professional opinion on what should be vs. what shouldn't be, or (3) mediate any disagreements between musicians on the basis of expertise.  So it's just a matter of my opinion vs. hers, or who is the squeakier wheel (in every case, her).

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2008, 03:31:38 PM »
... She prefers to hear herself through the house speakers mounted in the ceiling instead of through the monitor next to her bench.  Her solution:  have me turn my volume down...

Can you pipe your bass thru the house system along with her keyboard? I'm not a bassist yet - I don't know if this is someting bassists do. If you did, you might sound more "together".

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2008, 06:19:12 AM »
Can you pipe your bass thru the house system along with her keyboard? I'm not a bassist yet - I don't know if this is someting bassists do. If you did, you might sound more "together".

I tried that at practice yesterday but she didn't like my bass coming through her monitor. :(

She does.  Today at rehearsal I tried to go through the house system so that when we record I can actually hear the bass on the tracks.  She kept saying I was too loud in her monitor!

Perhaps I should add the following comment:  we do not have a trained sound technician to (1) run our sound system properly, (2) offer a professional opinion on what should be vs. what shouldn't be, or (3) mediate any disagreements between musicians on the basis of expertise.  So it's just a matter of my opinion vs. hers, or who is the squeakier wheel (in every case, her).

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2008, 09:46:04 AM »

Sounds like a no win situation for you.   I'm assuming that when you record, it's whatever is coming through the house so there's no way to record the bass without having it come through the house.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2008, 10:09:56 AM »
Sounds like a no win situation for you.   I'm assuming that when you record, it's whatever is coming through the house so there's no way to record the bass without having it come through the house.

It is difficult to be sure, but I haven't given up.  Every time I try something new I learn a little more about our board.  I just try to remain patient and keep tinkering.  Eventually I will figure it out.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2008, 10:30:37 AM »
do like i did and get the make and model of the board and go online and download a copy of the manual. that'll give u a good start on the board
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2008, 11:19:11 AM »
It is difficult to be sure, but I haven't given up.  Every time I try something new I learn a little more about our board.  I just try to remain patient and keep tinkering.  Eventually I will figure it out.

Fat chance...  What are you gonna do?  It seems like she don't want to hear you at all.  If she hear you just a little bit, it's too much.  She probably wants you out of the way all together.  Have you ever just ask her what she wants of you or how she envision a bass player in her playing of music, not that you're gonna do it, but just to see where her head is at in regards to you?

Offline craigory

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2008, 04:01:48 PM »
How do I feel?? I hate keyboard bass!! There is NOTHING like a real bassman. I smile and tell folk we (the bassists) are the mortar that holds the foundation, the bricks (drums) together as we build the song. The keys are the frame/siding and the guitar and keys open doors and windows. I get jealous cause I've seen key guys play bass licks and don't have to walk and stretch like we do, but they can't get OUR sound!!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
do like i did and get the make and model of the board and go online and download a copy of the manual. that'll give u a good start on the board
One step ahead of you, floaded. :)

Fat chance...  What are you gonna do?  It seems like she don't want to hear you at all.  If she hear you just a little bit, it's too much.  She probably wants you out of the way all together.  Have you ever just ask her what she wants of you or how she envision a bass player in her playing of music, not that you're gonna do it, but just to see where her head is at in regards to you?

You're not far from right.  I don't know her playing experience prior to my church but I sense that she was (1) probably the only musician, (2) in charge of everything, (3) used to getting her own way.  My church hired her, they pay her significantly more than they pay the rest of us (which by the way is not a big deal for me), with the idea that she would revitalize our music ministry.  She has a very strong, very dominant personality and this puts off a lot of choir members.  She talks a good game when it comes to relinquishing the lower end but she reverts back to playing bass lines.  I think she would be perfectly happy if she were the only musician, director, lead vocalist.

All of this to say what?  In my mind we are equals.  We were both hired by the church.  We both answer to the same Minister of Music, the same Trustee Board, the same Pastor.  She is older than I am by maybe 15, 20 years, so I am respectful of that.  At the same time we are both adults so that respect only goes so far and should go both ways.  I am going to defend my position that I have just as must right to be heard by the congregation as she does. I am going to defend my knowledge of my instrument and how my instrument should be amplified.

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2008, 05:56:38 AM »
You're not far from right.  I don't know her playing experience prior to my church but I sense that she was (1) probably the only  I am going to defend my position that I have just as must right to be heard by the congregation as she does. I am going to defend my knowledge of my instrument and how my instrument should be amplified.

It would be nice if you had some sort of outside consultant to set you all up and to put her in her proper position.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2008, 07:36:53 AM »
It would be nice if you had some sort of outside consultant to set you all up and to put her in her proper position.
Amen. :)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »
Wow. Seems she's really going to have to get used to playing in an ensemble setting whether she likes it or not. I agree, an experienced person from the outside should come in and 'consult' you all on how to setup and work as a team. It seems like many churches see what's going on musically on record, award shows, concerts, etc. and say hey, lets start a music ministry but I don't think many are actually paying attention to whats really going on behind the scenes. Playing in an ensembel setting requires a lot of give and take and learning how to mesh together. It should never be about one individual.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2008, 09:54:46 AM »
Wow. Seems she's really going to have to get used to playing in an ensemble setting whether she likes it or not. I agree, an experienced person from the outside should come in and 'consult' you all on how to setup and work as a team. It seems like many churches see what's going on musically on record, award shows, concerts, etc. and say hey, lets start a music ministry but I don't think many are actually paying attention to whats really going on behind the scenes. Playing in an ensembel setting requires a lot of give and take and learning how to mesh together. It should never be about one individual.

amen. people at my church are notorious for doing that. they go to another church or a visiting church comes in and they see something and say "they did that so we can do that too" without taking not a thought to what it actually takes to make that happen. I know the Lord can bless and give increase, but He's not a genie so some things still require hard work and effort. Because its the church and "we got the Lord on our side" i think some people truly forget that.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2008, 01:37:03 PM »

Good points all.  However, our MOM is non-confrontational--"Well, we will just have to learn to live with her."

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2008, 01:48:55 PM »
You know, after thinking about this issue.............I think her issue is that your bass is distracting her! She probably has it ingrained in her head that she needs to hear her own left hand to coordinate with her right hand! If this is the case, whoo boy are y'all gonna have a hard time changing her thinking unless she's willing to do so on her own.

Just my thinking on the subject.......
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
You know, after thinking about this issue.............I think her issue is that your bass is distracting her! She probably has it ingrained in her head that she needs to hear her own left hand to coordinate with her right hand! If this is the case, whoo boy are y'all gonna have a hard time changing her thinking unless she's willing to do so on her own.

Good thought, and from talking her you've probably dead on.  We all come with habits, and she's had a lot longer with hers then I have had with mine.

She's not a bad person.  And we are all idiosyncratic.  So what do you do? Try to get along the best you can, pick your battles, remember that it's all about offering praises to God.  A bad day playing bass beats a good day in a great many places. :D

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »

The perfect solution is for everyone to play with those personal headphone systems.  Then if she don't want to hear you, she can just turn you down.  But you'll never get one of those things on her head...

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2008, 09:59:40 PM »
The perfect solution is for everyone to play with those personal headphone systems.  Then if she don't want to hear you, she can just turn you down.  But you'll never get one of those things on her head...
Nope. ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up