LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboardists playing bass on keys  (Read 6520 times)

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

Re: Keyboardists playing bass on keys
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2008, 09:28:02 AM »
How do I feel?? I hate keyboard bass!! There is NOTHING like a real bassman. I smile and tell folk we (the bassists) are the mortar that holds the foundation, the bricks (drums) together as we build the song. The keys are the frame/siding and the guitar and keys open doors and windows. I get jealous cause I've seen key guys play bass licks and don't have to walk and stretch like we do, but they can't get OUR sound!!
I beg to differ with you dude.  I've got the Marcus Miller bass samples in my Roland and when played with good technique and through the proper rig, it sounds exactly like a live bass.  I was on a gig one time with my old band.  Our bassist couldn't make it so I had to do bass and quite a few people were fooled until they came in and didn't see a bass anywhere.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2008, 06:21:27 PM »
How do you guys feel about keyboardists that double up and play bass on keys?

Execute Order 66! ;)
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2008, 11:38:35 AM »
I beg to differ with you dude.  I've got the Marcus Miller bass samples in my Roland and when played with good technique and through the proper rig, it sounds exactly like a live bass.  I was on a gig one time with my old band.  Our bassist couldn't make it so I had to do bass and quite a few people were fooled until they came in and didn't see a bass anywhere.

I have to agree, with much reserve.  I heard a guy recently who was playing a bass patch on his keyboard... he is also a bass player, so he played like a bass player would with an actual bass, and I was amazed at how authentic it sounded.  I leaned over to a friend of mines, and said, We can't let our board players ever get a hold of that patch...LOL!

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2008, 03:52:48 PM »

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2008, 04:00:34 PM »
I have to agree, with much reserve.  I heard a guy recently who was playing a bass patch on his keyboard... he is also a bass player, so he played like a bass player would with an actual bass, and I was amazed at how authentic it sounded.  I leaned over to a friend of mines, and said, We can't let our board players ever get a hold of that patch...LOL!

Recently, I did a churches anniversary, and one of the bass player's did not have his gear, so he used the Fantom X7 that was there...I'm not sure how he tweaked it, but everyone thought there was a bass player there.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2008, 04:23:05 PM »
Recently, I did a churches anniversary, and one of the bass player's did not have his gear, so he used the Fantom X7 that was there...I'm not sure how he tweaked it, but everyone thought there was a bass player there.

You know.... I helped them break down their equipment because it was just the board player and the drummer, and it was a ROLAND... I don't remember the exact model.  But he had that bad boy sounding good, he also had a Motif, that he was playing with his other hand.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2008, 04:36:33 PM »
You know.... I helped them break down their equipment because it was just the board player and the drummer, and it was a ROLAND... I don't remember the exact model.  But he had that bad boy sounding good, he also had a Motif, that he was playing with his other hand.
Rolands do have good bass sounds.  My favorites are in the Drum & Bass expansion cards though.  The Marcus Miller samples are great and they even have a little string buzz and some intonation.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2008, 04:56:57 PM »
some intonation.

could you explain what you mean by this?  In bass land good intonation is when you play a Low c and a high c on the same string they are the same key and not off.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2008, 08:09:18 PM »
could you explain what you mean by this?  In bass land good intonation is when you play a Low c and a high c on the same string they are the same key and not off.
The best way I can describe it is if you play a note and your finger lets up a little and causes the pitch to vary slightly.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2008, 09:11:16 PM »
Rolands do have good bass sounds.  My favorites are in the Drum & Bass expansion cards though.  The Marcus Miller samples are great and they even have a little string buzz and some intonation.

I really gotta make sure our keyboard players don't find out about these...LOL!

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2008, 10:18:11 PM »
I really gotta make sure our keyboard players don't find out about these...LOL!

;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up