LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: AMAZING GRACE....  (Read 9617 times)

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

Re: AMAZING GRACE....
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 12:48:22 AM »
For those of you who say this "souful gospel playing" dude's solo was "too much", i wonder if you say the same thing about Jimi Hendrix, the "soulful blues/rock" dude at Woodstock...was THAT "too much" as well? or was that considered "greatness"?. 8)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 02:12:05 AM »
no one is slamming the guy....everyone has admitted he can def play. that being said...people are entitled to their opinions. to me...it was just too much.....and the dead horse got beat to a pulp...but that's just me.

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 02:42:54 AM »
no one is slamming the guy....everyone has admitted he can def play. that being said...people are entitled to their opinions. to me...it was just too much.....and the dead horse got beat to a pulp...but that's just me.

lol NOOOOOO Jlynn, i asked if, for those who think it's "too much", do you feel the same way about Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock? lol....Did Jimi "overplay" or was it considered "jusssssssst the right amount?" lol 8)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 08:42:56 AM »
i think it's a bit different....i know it was a solo piece.....bu to play 14 chords and 20 licks/runs for every note of the melody played wore me out.

as for Jimi.....never been a huge fan of his playing. respect his contribution very much...he definitely took guitar playing to a level that would have never been attained had he not been such a pioneer.

Offline lilBB

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 09:01:36 AM »
this is that sweetness! dude is super tyte.

it would have been just as good if he'd stopped before modulating to the higher key tho... seems like once he did, he just pulled out his bag-o-tricks and poured em all out. but before hand, i like exactly how he did it.

he seems to have command over all of his chords. and in this piece he decided to show it. we've got players like this in memphis (right up the street from MS) and in a band context they are toned down a bunch but still just as sweet, choosing subtle chords to substitute (phatten) and not all of em. they also know when not to incorporate bassy tones because you've got some1 for that.

two thumbs up from me.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
Way too much for my taste.My pastor would not allow us to play that way.That what you call,showing off more that anything else.There nothing great about it.I do not see how anyone could metion Jimi name, compared to that.People take the song,Amazing Grace try to get CUTE with it.At times it was hard to tell what he was playing.That the way i feel.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 12:13:10 PM »
GIBBY,See you should have posted something like this.Nice and simple,but soooo sweet.Not gospel,just having fun.But, check out all his guitars in the back.

WHERE YOU AT GIBBY

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »
                      A ROGER NELSON CLASSIC 
       JUST HAVING FUN BROTHERS.BUT,you got to admit.
                        SWEETT,SWETT.

Offline bjlane

• LGM Member
  • Real men lead from their knees.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 12:36:50 PM »
That 1st verse was superbly done.  The other verses were a display of awesome talent/skill, but yes a bit more busy than what the song seems to call for.  But none the less...........kid.....is....a.... BEAST.

PS: At the present moment, he can most certianly out-play me.

WOW.

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »
jlynnb1...

I see your point where enough is enough.  Maybe too much overkill.

seemunny...

I see your point where when someone says to show out, just show out.

My opinion: WHICH COUNTS MORE THAN BOTH OF YALL!!!!! JUST KIDDING!

Playing something really-really simple is pretty boring, like that one post with terrence young. **Disclaimer: I'M NOT KNOCKING HIM, BUT I WANTED MORE THAN THAT! **

but if you do too much, it'll lose the effect.  Hopefully, he's not like that in a band context. I don't like playing with someone who is everywhere.  But he is still good...

Now....

Both y'all saddown and be nice!!!!!

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »
GIBBY,See you should have posted something like this.Nice and simple,but soooo sweet.Not gospel,just having fun.But, check out all his guitars in the back.

WHERE YOU AT GIBBY
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=q2Av69B2Mw0

Uh huh...I knew you had dreads Rown!!!  :D :D

I see you finally posted yourself on youtube!  :D

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 03:37:38 PM »
.....Playing this type of thing is very difficult....the problem is that if it is not thought out very carefully it can get old real fast!.....You wind up throwing everything you have at the song to pass the time....when you really should think it out more so that you only play stuff that helps.....

....I think the guy showed a great amount of skill but maybe could have put more of the song in it and cut it shorter......I would have done half in the slow version and then ended on the faster version to engage the audience before they fell asleep......but then all that said ...the audience seemed to like it...it is other musicians that pick it apart.....

.....I also think he skipped the whole second part of the song which might have broken it up a bit....

Offline SanctifiedGuitar

• LGM Member
  • Live a sanctified and holy life.

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 07:39:43 PM »
He has great skills, sweet gospel church sound, but I did not agree with the length of the solo and the melody for Amazing Grace

However ,Two thumbs up...5 stars
Have you been baptized in Jesus' name and received the Holy Ghost?
(Acts 2:37,38 and 19:1-7)

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 10:55:57 PM »
                                  HEY GIBBY
                          This would have been better.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 11:06:25 PM »
I can not believe you guys.That dude Amazing Grace, just unbelievable terrible.I can not believe this.Skill,what skill.He got his ideal from J.Dubose Amazing Grace.No-way, not even close >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 11:14:10 PM »
I can not believe you guys.That dude Amazing Grace, just unbelievable terrible.I can not believe this.Skill,what skill.He got his ideal from J.Dubose Amazing Grace.No-way, not even close >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

c'mon rown... :-\ :D :-\

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 12:11:09 AM »

....not liking the version he did is fine.....but to suggest that his skill level was not good is a joke....I know I can play...and I learned some things from that video......I may not play it like he did....but he has some chops for sure! :-*

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 12:54:24 AM »
.....Playing this type of thing is very difficult....the problem is that if it is not thought out very carefully it can get old real fast!....

This is true.

....but then all that said ...the audience seemed to like it...it is other musicians that pick it apart.....

"WHOMP!...THERE IT IS!" 

I can not believe you guys. That dude Amazing Grace, just unbelievably terrible. I can not believe this. Skill, what skill? He got his ideal from J.Dubose Amazing Grace.No-way, not even close >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Rown, they tried to make you go to rehab, and you said "Nooo! Nooo! Nooo!"

Come on man! Now you takin it wayyy too far! lol  8)

What it sounds like that's being said in this forum is:

"playing a LOT of stuff is ok, IF you can successfully sell it to the crowd that you're playing for. But if you can't, you'll be better off doing more with less".

That takes care of both, this guy & the Hendrix question. 8)

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2008, 03:17:21 AM »
(ahem...cough, cough!)...umm, that would be "WHOOMP!"

(Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.) 8)

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
Well,i am for sure not saying the brother can not play.All i am saying, i do not dig his Amazing Grace.He could play something else,and i could love it.As for as the people liking it.I am been at some church services.They would like Mary had alittle Lamb.Check out this Amazing Grace,you compare the two.This is how you play it.Very tasteful.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up