LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: AMAZING GRACE....  (Read 9634 times)

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

Re: AMAZING GRACE....
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »
Hey, I was nice. I was just playing around.

Did they say they won't be back? Then, hush, Gibb...  ;)

Ohhhhhh...we got backtalk eh??  >:( :D ;) >:( :D

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2008, 05:48:14 PM »

Ohhhhhh...we got backtalk eh??  >:( :D ;) >:( :D

Psh... I INVENTED backtalk lol.

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2008, 08:46:44 PM »

For some of the newbies that don't know us, I wanted to clarify that I'm just messing around. I forgot to tack on some smileys lol. I forget that inflection is not heard on the interweb.

I'm a goof, and I think I can speak for Gibby, and say that he is also a member of that club  ;)

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2008, 10:38:33 PM »

uh huh, we'll see who's the smart-aleck around here >:( :D >:(

For some of the newbies that don't know us, I wanted to clarify that I'm just messing around. I forgot to tack on some smileys lol. I forget that inflection is not heard on the interweb.

I'm a goof, and I think I can speak for Gibby, and say that he is also a member of that club  ;)

yeah If the lurkers have read the previous posts, they know that me and jay are both saved, funny and handsome guitar players.  And mr. moderator is a stick in the mud..... :D

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2008, 12:11:59 AM »
uh huh, we'll see who's the smart-aleck around here >:( :D >:(

yeah If the lurkers have read the previous posts, they know that me and jay are both saved, funny and handsome guitar players.  And mr. moderator is a stick in the mud..... :D

keep at it young man....i'm gonna beat you with my Prince issued purple stiletto high-heeled boots

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2008, 12:59:20 AM »
People with exceptional skill rarely posess the discipline to not show it off.

How many people with large vocabularies can actually speak using only the most common words to express themselves?

How many women with great bodies can go without showing them off?  ;D

You all get my point.  ;)

More correct...

no, people that are exceptional MUSICIANS rarely flash what's not needed. even though they have talent and skill to spare...they'll rearely smack you in the face with it.

anyone can show off.....not everyone can play with restraint and taste.

Partially correct, because...just like TheyCry said, people with large vocabularies are NOT going to cover this fact up! You're gonna leave the conversation KNOWING that this person has a pretty large vocabulary!

People who can play or solo on a musical instrument "fast" (George Benson, John Mclaughlin, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Yngwe Malmsteen, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum, etc...), are NOT going to cover it up! People who have the ability to sing with certain intricate notes, such as Stevie Wonder, are not gonna hold back and sing like Pat Boone. The fact that they didn't hold back, is what we have all come to know them by, and why we marvel over them the way we do!

It's just "human nature" to do what you have the ability to do - or "express yourself".

Many musicians who never "play fast notes", but who are good, may not play fast notes because they CAN'T!...so they decide to show their greatness in OTHER ways. Larry Bird was GREAT, but he never believed it was a good idea to try to play in the same manner as Michael Jordan (above the rim), so he was savy & keen enough to find HIS avenue of greatness, and he succeeded!

Which means, "greatness" is neither (playing a LOT of notes, or play FEW notes), but rather HOW EFFECTIVELY you can do either. 8)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2008, 05:51:22 AM »
More correct...

Partially correct, because...just like TheyCry said, people with large vocabularies are NOT going to cover this fact up! You're gonna leave the conversation KNOWING that this person has a pretty large vocabulary!

People who can play or solo on a musical instrument "fast" (George Benson, John Mclaughlin, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Yngwe Malmsteen, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum, etc...), are NOT going to cover it up! People who have the ability to sing with certain intricate notes, such as Stevie Wonder, are not gonna hold back and sing like Pat Boone. The fact that they didn't hold back, is what we have all come to know them by, and why we marvel over them the way we do!

It's just "human nature" to do what you have the ability to do - or "express yourself".

Many musicians who never "play fast notes", but who are good, may not play fast notes because they CAN'T!...so they decide to show their greatness in OTHER ways. Larry Bird was GREAT, but he never believed it was a good idea to try to play in the same manner as Michael Jordan (above the rim), so he was savy & keen enough to find HIS avenue of greatness, and he succeeded!

Which means, "greatness" is neither (playing a LOT of notes, or play FEW notes), but rather HOW EFFECTIVELY you can do either. 8)

there are plenty of people who can play fast....the ones who are impressive to me are the ones who can play with restraint and not beat you over the head with it...that's what makes a musician to me...i'd rather be teased with it and just get a taste here and there than to hear a million notes/runs for an entire song.

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2008, 06:30:31 AM »
keep at it young man....i'm gonna beat you with my Prince issued purple stiletto high-heeled boots

hahahahahahaha!!!

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2008, 08:44:26 AM »
there are plenty of people who can play fast....the ones who are impressive to me are the ones who can play with restraint and not beat you over the head with it...that's what makes a musician to me...i'd rather be teased with it and just get a taste here and there than to hear a million notes/runs for an entire song.

Like my boy Warren Haynes... I actually got to see him live the first time last week, and I can't believe the emotion in his playing. I was literally moved.

Now, if he had his beliefs in line, he'd be a WEAPON.

It kills me to see all these great talents out there, knowing that if they would turn their lives over MILLIONS would be exposed to the Word (not that some of them are destructive forces--some are--but just that they aren't working with a purpose. They don't know to).

Just think; what if Eminem got saved? I know it sounds crazy, but really, think about it. You can't deny that that man has some form of control of the youth today. Turn that talent and charisma toward the Kingdom, and... I don't even know. I'm envisioning thousands and thousands following him to Christ.

Sorry, that was way off topic, but it rides on me heavily at times. I've almost written letters...

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2008, 11:31:59 PM »
I thought it was awesome. The church thought it was awesome. It felt good. It moved me. It almost made me tear up  ;D

There is nothing anyone around this guitar forum could learn by the cats who are hating on him because he is supposedly overplaying. LIKE I SAID, It was a solo. During a drum solo, I don't choose to play 64ths through the whole thing, I restrain myself and make it FEEL GOOD. I understand restraint and maturity as a musician. So to all of you that think you've somehow "arrived" .........

Tell me it didn't feel good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2008, 11:48:22 PM »
I thought it was awesome. The church thought it was awesome. It felt good. It moved me. It almost made me tear up  ;D

There is nothing anyone around this guitar forum could learn by the cats who are hating on him because he is supposedly overplaying. LIKE I SAID, It was a solo. During a drum solo, I don't choose to play 64ths through the whole thing, I restrain myself and make it FEEL GOOD. I understand restraint and maturity as a musician. So to all of you that think you've somehow "arrived" .........

Hey man.if you dig it cool.We not going to hate on you.Welcome to the guitar  forum ;)

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
Sure.

People have ego's, though. The aquisition of skill is like getting your driver's permit, or license; When you first get your permit/license, you want to drive every change you get. It's new, and it's fun. After you've had it for awhile, a car is no longer a source of fun and exploration...

...it's nothing but a means to go from point A to point B.

Maybe for you this is true but not for me and certainly not for drivers who have to or just want to constantly develop their driving skills, be they a professional racer, a weekend rally warrior or just a better road driver who applies performance driving and defensive driving aspects to their daily commute.
Maybe I'm weird but I enjoy driving my car or riding my cycle every day. There's still an enjoyable thrill to it. Even a simple ride to work, like the one I made this morning, gives me joy. And I don't even have to break the law...badly.  ;)

I have grown into a musician - but their was a time when I aquired skill for it's own sake, and that mentality came through in my music. Now, I'm more skilled than ever, but it's no longer exciting to show the world how  deep my 'bag of tricks' is, in every song I play.

This guy seems young, so I am not surprised. My point is, very few people will aquire a lot of skill, and not go through a phase where they're, at least, tempted to show it off.

This may be the case for some, but, honestly, you can't judge the motives of the cat in that first video just from watching him on a video. How do you know that what he played wasn't exactly what he was led to play, not led by ego but led by the Spirit?
Also, context is king. Besides watching him play the song in his own way, what else do we know about what happened before he played this song. What happened afterwards? Was it a Sunday morning service? Was it a special concert? Was it a showcase where you're expected to bring out your very best for the Lord? (Actually, that should apply to EVERY occasion where we are worshiping)
Regardless, how can we sit around and say 'oh, he's playing to satisfy his ego' or 'he's showing off' or 'he's emptied his bag of tricks' when we don't know anything else about him or this performance except what we're seeing in these few minutes?.

Why can't it be 'this is how he plays and praise God for it'?

We all have to realize this one fact: we all base our opinions on our experiences and none of us share the exact same experiences. Therefore, none of us will share the exact same opinions. That being what it is, we should be careful not to over-generalize our opinion. Just like stereotypes, they can always (yes, always) be proved wrong.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline Abe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2008, 03:28:41 PM »
Well here's Justin Gray, "Mr. Amazing Grace", playing acoustic at what appears to be a family gathering.

Abe
8)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2008, 11:32:06 PM »

no one is hating...simply sharing an opinion...

and for me, no, it did not feel good...

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2008, 11:38:55 PM »
again....the dude is bad, he can play, it's obvious. it's not gong to be everyones cup of tea...doesn't mean anyone is hating....doesn't mean someone that doesn't like it is accusing him of having wrong motives....just might not be their thing.

i could probably post a vid that i love or that moves me and some of you guys would be like "what the....", and that's cool. we are all different...like Dave said...we come from different places, backgrounds, experiences. For the cats that love it....I'm glad there is something here that inspires you. For those that don't, that's ok too, let whatever moves you be your inspiration. the world doesn't need an army of guitar players who listen to the same stuff and play everything the same way...so let's challenge each other, try to help each other improve...but allow one another to be individuals in every way.

Offline Abe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
Give the young brother Justin a break and some credit. A few years from now we'll all be saying, "I remember that brother back in 2008", when a major artist discovers and introduces him on a gospel CD.
I just pray that he learns to read music (if he doesn't already) and move forward with his talent.

8)
Abe
8)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2008, 12:43:49 AM »
Give the young brother Justin a break and some credit. A few years from now we'll all be saying, "I remember that brother back in 2008", when a major artist discovers and introduces him on a gospel CD.
I just pray that he learns to read music (if he doesn't already) and move forward with his talent.

8)

again...no one is dogging him or his ability....it's just not some peoples cup of tea. there are plenty of amazing musicians that aren't my thing simply due to style or genre....doesn't mean they aren't great at what they do or that i'm "hating" on them....just not my thing.

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »
again...no one is dogging him or his ability....it's just not some peoples cup of tea. there are plenty of amazing musicians that aren't my thing simply due to style or genre....doesn't mean they aren't great at what they do or that i'm "hating" on them....just not my thing.

**sigh** Why can't they learn to "agree to disagree" mr. moderator??

Offline Abe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2008, 05:04:31 PM »

I agree with your point. We all have various playing styles and interest. We are a unique diversed group of christian musicians, so let's continue to praise his name in our various styles of music...and on that note, let's close with "I WANT JESUS TO WALK WITH ME":

and the classic “Dios Te Bendiga”:

Peace-N-Love...God Bless  8)
Abe
8)

Offline SanctifiedGuitar

• LGM Member
  • Live a sanctified and holy life.

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2008, 09:34:26 PM »
Paul Jackson, Jr.  :)
                   xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
         xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  x xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx
  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Have you been baptized in Jesus' name and received the Holy Ghost?
(Acts 2:37,38 and 19:1-7)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up