LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: lightweight powerful bass cab  (Read 11330 times)

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

lightweight powerful bass cab
« on: June 25, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »
im in need of a bass cab thats relatively small and lightweight but can put out enough power to handle a fairly decent sized church. my situation is that im starting to play other places with the jurisdictional choir and while just about all the churches have B3's and some have a setup for keyboards, if theres no bass player there, they have NO bass equipment at all. just about all the fairly decent sized churches that have been around for a while (especially in COGIC) have a B3 and a drum set as standard issue. the guys who play keyboard may be lucky that the church has something there for them or they bring their own keyboard amp. me as the bass player is responsible for my own stuff. some dont have a good sound system setup, but they do have 1 or  2 B3 leslies to fill the church. so u know my 200W Ampeg 2x8 combo aint hackin it. And theres no way in hell (excuse the language) that im getting on the train in New York City at rush hour with a 4x10 cab. It aint happenin. and im kinda tired of playin out of keyboard amps with the keyboard, portable PA systems, and other makeshift bass rigs.

i just need something easily portable, especially carryin up and down stairs (stairs is always an issue using the train). most of the 2x10s that i seen have weak power handling (200W, which i already have) or behringer (which is insanely known for their crappy cabs) or the cab is excessively huge (basically the size of a 4x10). the only thing ive seen as possibly decent is the Avatar B210. are there any other offerings? should i get one of the other 2x10's and just swap out the speakers? should i attempt to get something custom made or make myself?

chime in my fellow bass buddies.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Godsbassman62

• LGM Member
  • God First

Re: lightweight powerful bass cab
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:27:04 PM »
I had the same problem doing the "Monthly Musicals" in churches where the choir loft is upstairs. So I got a GK 2/12 Neo cab. I shaved off fifty pounds of extra weight. I am not pushing GK but check out any reputable Neo cabs. that will help.

Be Blessed

James J in LA

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:46:08 PM »
It's going to be hard finding anything smaller that 2x12 cab that will work. To me, you'll kill 2x10 cab up against a B3 and drums, especially one with 2 leslies. This is the price we pay as being musicians, especially bass players. I don't like lugging around my 4x10 eden 98 lbs cab, but I do because I know the sound I like and don't want to play out of any makeshift system.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:20:22 PM »
I had the same problem doing the "Monthly Musicals" in churches where the choir loft is upstairs. So I got a GK 2/12 Neo cab. I shaved off fifty pounds of extra weight. I am not pushing GK but check out any reputable Neo cabs. that will help.

thanks I'll look around for the 2/12 cab. GC doesnt seem to carry any 2/12 so i'll have to look around online. the 2/10s they seem to have are heavy as heck, not much lesst han the 4x10s so they building them so u can play in a hurricane or something.

I don't like lugging around my 4x10 eden 98 lbs cab, but I do because I know the sound I like and don't want to play out of any makeshift system.
for me what sound i like is nearly at the bottom of the list. this is New York City we're talkin about here. one of the most crowded busiest places in the world (if not the most). having a bass on my back and haulin around a 4x10 cab + my bass head on public transportation @ rush hour is basically impossible. this is why i need a solution. thats not an "inconvenient" option, its not an option at all.

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:06:22 AM »
I recommend Avatar.  I have both the 210 and 410, and they deliver without beating up your wallet.  They also have a 212.

B210 NEO - 500W, 48lbs, $318 shipped
B212 NEO - 500W, 56lbs, $381 shipped
B410 NEO - 1000W, 65lbs, $451 shipped

I recommend the LineX coating if you can afford the extra charge for it.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:48:26 AM »
I recommend Avatar.  I have both the 210 and 410, and they deliver without beating up your wallet.  They also have a 212.

B210 NEO - 500W, 48lbs, $318 shipped
B212 NEO - 500W, 56lbs, $381 shipped
B410 NEO - 1000W, 65lbs, $451 shipped

I recommend the LineX coating if you can afford the extra charge for it.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

I have all of the cabs above, but only my B210 has the Neo speakers. A good solution for Floaded is the B210 at 4 ohms. It can handle 500W. I now use the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 (3.75 lbs) which puts out 600W into the B210. That is more than enough for any church where I have used it. I think the B212 and the B410 are too bulky to try to transport on a train. I can easily carry my amp, bass and B210 cabinet, up and down stairs if I have to. For the price, you can't beat the Avatars. My cabinets are carpet-covered. If you can afford it, get the LineX coating.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:54:52 AM »
thanks thumpa. i was lookin into Avatar because i already have the B410. i ruled out the B212 because the cab is the same exact size as the 410 cab, so that really doesnt solve much, so i was leaning on the 210. but i was wondering, is there any better options out there?

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 01:13:04 AM »
thanks thumpa. i was lookin into Avatar because i already have the B410. i ruled out the B212 because the cab is the same exact size as the 410 cab, so that really doesnt solve much, so i was leaning on the 210. but i was wondering, is there any better options out there?

Another, more expensive, but better option is one of the cabs by Accugroove cabinets http://www.accugroove.com/. Here are the specs for their Tri210L:
2-10" Neo woofers
1-6" midrange
2-soft textile dome tweeters
2 Speakon jacks & 2 sealed 1/4" jacks
600 watts RMS at 4 Ohms
39 Hz-18 Khz (35 Hz@6db) 103db SPL
48lbs
21 1/4"H x 24 3/4" W x 18 1/4" D
$1,349.00
If it was in the budget, I would have bought this cab instead of the B210. But lets face facts, I am sure the Tri 210 L sounds better than the Avatar, but I don't think that it sounds 4 times better.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 08:28:03 AM »
I just bought a schroeder 1210R for $400 off of talkbass.com

http://www.schroedercabinets.com/1210.htm

Barely bigger than a 1x12 cab and apparently they can replace a 4x10. Not to mention it's lighter then my 4x10.

I played one at bass club chicago and that little sucker KICKS!!!!

I have a visiting church to play at tonight and I'll be taking my cab out there to see how it does!!!

Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:53:37 AM »
jeremy, now thats what im talkin about. if only i could get it for that same price cause i dont wanna break my pockets for the cab, especially since i would want to later invest in a smaller bass heads (MarkBass LMII or F1 or GB Shuttle). so $400 would probably be around my upper limit. any places to suggest maybe finding another used one? (unless u sellin yours after the gig. lol)

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 11:58:57 AM »
haha,  I got mine off of talkbass.com

I honestly got one heck of a deal seeing as they usual go for around $550.  I got mine for $420 shipped.
If you keep an eye out in the classified section over there you can see them for the upper 4's fairly often.

I figure this paired up with my MarkBass f1 will be all that I need. Seeing how they get SILLY loud and cut through the mix, if I need anything more then I should be using PA support anyways.  I will definitely let you know my impressions after tonight.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 12:34:54 PM »
jeremy, i gots to hate right now. i saw the ad where u got urs from. that dude was in my area in brooklyn. i couldve picked it up and didnt even have to pay shipping. right outta my back yard. im heated right now. lol.

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »
I just bought a schroeder 1210R for $400 off of talkbass.com

http://www.schroedercabinets.com/1210.htm

Barely bigger than a 1x12 cab and apparently they can replace a 4x10. Not to mention it's lighter then my 4x10.

I played one at bass club chicago and that little sucker KICKS!!!!

I have a visiting church to play at tonight and I'll be taking my cab out there to see how it does!!!

Wow, nice score!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
jeremy, i gots to hate right now. i saw the ad where u got urs from. that dude was in my area in brooklyn. i couldve picked it up and didnt even have to pay shipping. right outta my back yard. im heated right now. lol.

it had to be an act of God because he had it up for sale for a month.  After searching for a while I found the ad and didn't think twice..lol

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 01:37:07 AM »
ok, so I got off of work an d flew home to pick up the cab from the mail room. I had enough time to unpack it adn put it in the car before heading to the other church.  Well I get down there and my eq settings for my 410 didn't work for the schroeder at all!!!!! I think it's because the church had a wood ceiling.  But this is the first time I've had to CUT my lows :o  I cut my lows back to 11 o'clock, bumped my low mids up to 1 o'clock and made slight adjustments on the bass and WOW!!!!!

This little thing is the TRUTH!!!!!!! Talk about sitting in the mix SOLID!!!!!!!!!!  It was like I had my own sound frequency that even the organ bass pedals couldn't try to intrude upon.     This cab was ROCKING!!!!!!!!!!  I never though that it would work that good for gospel, but I have a new #1 cab (and I am a big fan of my avatar b410 neo)

By looking at it you'd never think this small cab could be SOOOOO SERIOUS!!!!!!

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 08:04:05 AM »
I see you put up your avatar for sale on TB.  That little thing must really be doing it for ya.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »
i found someone here in Brooklyn selling a schroeder 1210 for $375 on craigslist. i sent an email to see if the offer was still available. we'll see what happens with that.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 09:29:53 AM »
i found someone here in Brooklyn selling a schroeder 1210 for $375 on craigslist. i sent an email to see if the offer was still available. we'll see what happens with that.

well thats a no-go. in fact, im suspecting that mightve been the very same one that you bought jeremy. foiled again.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 11:10:03 AM »
I see you put up your avatar for sale on TB.  That little thing must really be doing it for ya.

it's a BEAST in every sense of the word doc!!!! 

Offline ptidwell

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    • http://www.inspiredwordministries.org

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 06:40:39 PM »
Everything Epifani UL
I have the  UL 4x10; 2x10; 1x15; and a pair of UL112's I use the 1x12 stack most often. All my gear in and out in one trip.
All that with 4 titanium screws in my back and a fusion at L5. 
Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
http://lophatcabinets.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up