LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: lightweight powerful bass cab  (Read 11331 times)

Offline craigory

• LGM Member

Re: lightweight powerful bass cab
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »
I'm gonna have to agree w/ddwilkins. If you are going up against Hammond B3 & drums & vocals you are gonna need sometining more than 2/12's. Sorry but it is the burden we bear IF you want to have great sound. I Use the SWR Goliath 3 for most gigs @ 85lbs (feels like 100lbs sometimes!) This way I KNOW my sound will be right!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 01:51:09 PM »
I'm gonna have to agree w/ddwilkins. If you are going up against Hammond B3 & drums & vocals you are gonna need sometining more than 2/12's. Sorry but it is the burden we bear IF you want to have great sound. I Use the SWR Goliath 3 for most gigs @ 85lbs (feels like 100lbs sometimes!) This way I KNOW my sound will be right!

I have to disagree.

I've gone up against a Hammond B3 & drums & vocals & guitar player with an Ampeg 4x8 and sat in NICE.

With my new Schroeder 1210 It's not even funny how I cut through the mix EFFORTLESSLY.  It really is amazing.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
I also disagree.  I've gone up against the B3, drums, vocals, TWO guitars, and a LOUD guy on the keys who had no sense of volume control.  My 410 and Markbass LMII stood it's ground and didn't budge, and I didn't have to try to out-volume everyone else..

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 04:18:56 PM »
I have to disagree.

I've gone up against a Hammond B3 & drums & vocals & guitar player with an Ampeg 4x8 and sat in NICE.

With my new Schroeder 1210 It's not even funny how I cut through the mix EFFORTLESSLY.  It really is amazing.
until i can find one for a good price, no mo' schroeder talk on this thread. LOL  :'(
i may end up just getting the avatar 210.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
until i can find one for a good price, no mo' schroeder talk on this thread. LOL  :'(
i may end up just getting the avatar 210.

LOL.  How big is the church you're playing at?  A 1x12 might be all that you need to be honest.  Could you give us an idea of the venue?

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
LOL.  How big is the church you're playing at?  A 1x12 might be all that you need to be honest.  Could you give us an idea of the venue?
I had an 8ohm SB112, it wasn't enough. I sent it back and got the 4 ohm B210. The B210 works great.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 05:45:19 PM »
I had an 8ohm SB112, it wasn't enough. I sent it back and got the 4 ohm B210. The B210 works great.

8ohm might not have had enough wattage rating to keep up.

Notice you went from 8ohm to 4ohms.

a single 12 can come very close to a 2x10. 

It's all about knowing your venue and selecting gear appropriately.

I'm sure an Aguilar db112 would be enough for Alot of smaller size churches.

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 07:53:19 PM »

8ohm might not have had enough wattage rating to keep up.

Notice you went from 8ohm to 4ohms.

a single 12 can come very close to a 2x10. 

It's all about knowing your venue and selecting gear appropriately.

I'm sure an Aguilar db112 would be enough for Alot of smaller size churches.
I understand what you are saying. But the SB112 would start clipping with very insufficient volume. It could be that the differnce in ohms made a difference, but the B210 has no trouble at all keeping up with a moderate volume Hammand and Leslie. I don't think that the one-twelve by Avatar would have been enough, just not enough air moving. My other cabinets are 8 ohms. They are more than sufficient.

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »
I just rechecked the specs on Avatar's site. The SB112 has 250 watts, (in 8 or 4 ohms) and the B210 has 500 watts. I think that's why there is such a huge volume and power handling difference.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 10:22:03 PM »

actually i dont know. never been to the church we gonna be at for the convocation. the church we had our rehearsal today my 2x8 did fairly well but it wasnt as big as the church we did that 3-day conference at and nowhere as big as the church we normally have our conferences or the other church we had the week-long conference earlier this year. i just need something that can handle most big churches fairly well (the huge churches may have me run through the house). but i cant afford to have a closet full of cabs to pick and choose from depending on where im going.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »
I just rechecked the specs on Avatar's site. The SB112 has 250 watts, (in 8 or 4 ohms) and the B210 has 500 watts. I think that's why there is such a huge volume and power handling difference.

yup, that's the reason.

If the SB112 would've been 500watts at 4 ohms you would've been fine.  Nice oberservation and hopefully this info will help someone not make the wrong mistake when picking a cab for their needs.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 12:31:01 PM »
plus the 210 is pushing more air than the 115, which actually increases the output. so a 210 at 500W would still push more than a 115 at 500W but ur range of sound may be different because the 12's have a different frequency response than the 10's.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
plus the 210 is pushing more air than the 115, which actually increases the output. so a 210 at 500W would still push more than a 115 at 500W but ur range of sound may be different because the 12's have a different frequency response than the 10's.

that isn't necessarily 100% true.

It then goes to speaker ratings and the tuning of the box the speaker is in.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »
that isn't necessarily 100% true.

It then goes to speaker ratings and the tuning of the box the speaker is in.

well thats kinda like a given. sort of the same way a totally crappy 500W speaker isnt necessarily better than a high quality 300W speaker

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 03:01:15 PM »
I just bought a schroeder 1210R for $400 off of talkbass.com

http://www.schroedercabinets.com/1210.htm

Barely bigger than a 1x12 cab and apparently they can replace a 4x10. Not to mention it's lighter then my 4x10.

I played one at bass club chicago and that little sucker KICKS!!!!

I have a visiting church to play at tonight and I'll be taking my cab out there to see how it does!!!

jeremyr I'm also a/b-ing this cabinet,because I have a friend who endorses these cabinets so it's kinda cool to get to try out jorg schroeder stuff, however I'm finding them to be a little sterile,but I will say they hold GOBS OF POWER !!!.,

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »
jeremyr I'm also a/b-ing this cabinet,because I have a friend who endorses these cabinets so it's kinda cool to get to try out jorg schroeder stuff, however I'm finding them to be a little sterile,but I will say they hold GOBS OF POWER !!!.,

it's all in the EQ.  The thing about these cabs is a cutting tone most people aren't use to.  I honestly prefer it (for now that is..lol).

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 05:31:13 PM »
it's all in the EQ.  The thing about these cabs is a cutting tone most people aren't use to.  I honestly prefer it (for now that is..lol).

...then GAS will strike again and you're gonna get hold of some Bergantino gear... lol!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »
...then GAS will strike again and you're gonna get hold of some Bergantino gear... lol!

I'm set on the schroeder.

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2008, 09:20:59 PM »
I'm set on <insert bass gear here>.

That's what they all say... lol

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »
Funny this is mention,because I just left bass central and I will be trading in both Aguilar single 12 cabinets and ( because these days I only use 1 anyway) and both of my SWR Goliath III 4X10 and Son of Bertha for the Bergatino 1p112ER single 12 "powered cabinet. This is by far the most musical cabinet that I've ever played thru not to mention by it being a powered cabinet I can use my EBS Microbass II DI preamp/DI ( gotta love Craigs list ) for my amplification and leave the GenzBenz shuttle at the crib.
It's expensive but I wanted something different.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up