LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermediate Jazz - Putting it together  (Read 27070 times)

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

Re: Intermediate Jazz - Putting it together
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 08:02:36 AM »
and, when there's NO bass or 'pedal'  ::)

That would defeat the purpose of this exercise...  I am trying to get you to learn how to gain chord options in jazz voicing.  If you are on organ, you have pedals, and if you are playing piano in a trio or quartet, you will be using a bass player.  If you are playing solo piano, then that is another topic entirely.

This topic is to strengthen your left hand comping chops and freeing yourself from the need to pound out the bass with your left all the time.  It is a chance to stretch away from your comfort zone :)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 04:19:05 PM »
That would defeat the purpose of this exercise...  I am trying to get you to learn how to gain chord options in jazz voicing.  If you are on organ, you have pedals, and if you are playing piano in a trio or quartet, you will be using a bass player.  If you are playing solo piano, then that is another topic entirely.

This topic is to strengthen your left hand comping chops and freeing yourself from the need to pound out the bass with your left all the time.  It is a chance to stretch away from your comfort zone :)

I fall into this category, though. Well, that's the way it's looking, anyway (meaning, I may be asked to get on the keys at some point in the not-too-distant future).
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 11:06:44 AM »
a question on rhythm

what are some rhythmic choices to comp with the left hand

i find myself doing the comp on the one and the and of two

are there some others that you could list for us

thanks

To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline Guiano

• LGM Member

Re: Re:
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 03:33:19 PM »
Hi. u guyz ar duin a gr8t job. Im new here nd hav little knwlege about your post. Pls where do i begin from. Tanx

Rjthakid

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »
The first lesson we will look at here is based off of the II - V7 - I chord progression.  This is an extremely popular progression in jazz and modern music that uses the AABA form.  There are simple ways of thinking about setting yourself up for a basic comping pattern for these sort of tunes.  We can place these patterns into A patterns and B patterns

In the "A" Pattern, your inital left hand voicing will start on the third. (You use this pattern for chords between C and F)
In the "B" Pattern, your initial left hand voicing will start on the seventh. (You use this pattern for chords between F# and B)

examples:

A Pattern: In C:    II-9  =  b3, 5, b7, 9       D(-9)     F, A, C, E          remember that the bass is playing the D  (pedal) 
                         V13  =  b7, 9, 3, 13       G13        F, A, B, E          G is played by bass or by pedal
                         I 6/9 = 3, 5, 6, 9           C 6/9     E, G, A, D          C is played by bass or by pedal

B Pattern:  In Ab:  II-9  =  b3, 5, b7, 9       Ab(-9)   Gb, Bb, Cb, Eb    remember that the bass is playing the Ab  (pedal) 
                          V13  =  b7, 9, 3, 13       Db         F, Bb, Cb, Eb     Db is played by bass or by pedal
                          I 6/9 = 3, 5, 6, 9           Gb 6/9    Eb, Ab, Bb, Db   Gb is played by bass or by pedal

Here is a worksheet for you to practice these patterns with.  You will have to fill them in first :)...  Let me know how things go!!!

WQLF

Wolfram

Either there's a typo or I'm missing something.

The B pattern notes that you're in Ab....but aren't you in Gb?

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 08:46:35 AM »
The chord written is Ab with a minor 9.  Don't forget that you are pedalling the Ab in the bass.

Offline Bablol

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 03:11:27 PM »
Hi ,im Bablol .I want explanatns concerning ditones and tritones

Offline dianadadly

• LGM Member
    • หนังใหม่

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 06:57:58 AM »
I like jazz a lot. ;D
ชวนมา ดูหนัง

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 09:32:45 AM »
you Wolf;if you're playing jazz/standards with say just a vocalist,or maybe with a drummer and maybe a guitar-if you do a walking bass left hand to add some drive;what do you do when it's solo time?

Chord or keep the bass line going? Both have some advantage;drive vs.fullness.

Offline bobbywokzybobbywokzy

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »
That was quite interesting..

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »
Wolf,

can we continue these lesson. I've done my refresher- I now need to refresh on the piano as I have not really been blessed with much opportunity to play with bass players..
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up